The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

English Language at LANCASTER

Anyone doing English Language and Sociolinguistics/Linguisitcs/anything else! who can tell me how you're finding it? From what I've read, I love the sound of the course and modules available, but I just think first hand opinions and experiences would be helpful too!

What's Lancaster's campus like? I've heard from people that it's in the middle of nowhere but I'm guessing there's a bus that goes into the city centre which is easy enough to get?!

And any more information regarding Lancaster's music/social scene; student union etc. would be dandy! :biggrin:

Thank you!
I do eng lit, but i've ogt a couple of friends doing language. Apparently most of first year linguistics is spent making odd noises.
As to buses, yes, they run all the time during the day, yu'll never have to wait more than five minutes. There's also a free bus on wednesdays. It takes about ten minutes from campus to town on the bus, and its actually not a bad walk- I like it.
As to campus, theres a Spar anda little supermarket run by LUSU, so you dont need to worry about dashing into town for milk!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Re. the Student Union. Lancaster is not like most other unis, in that there is no central Union building. So we don't have a large on campus venue for concerts etc. Social life tends to be based round colleges or societies, with people going into town for clubbing. LUSU has its own nightclub in town.
Because Lancs is a collegiate university LUSU is not a huge part of most students' experience. But most people still manage to do the things they want to do and have a great time here.
Reply 3
I didn't buy food in town until week 7 or 8, although I was supplied with large amounts of food when I went up, and after my birthday a couple of weeks in. If you want cheap food, there's a place in town called home bargains, which is great, and has really cheap food, as well as stuff like shampoo and other things.

Societies are good for social stuff, they can have some slightly wacky, but good fun things going on there

Central tends to be a little bit cheaper on things that are there and in Spar, as well as a slightly larger range of weird things I'd never seen before, but taste great.

There are lots of bars on campus, which can be fun, each with their own "feel" and slightly different drink menus. You aren't forced to only drink in your colleges' bar
Reply 4
Teao the Cat
It takes about ten minutes from campus to town on the bus, and its actually not a bad walk- I like it.

Maybe in the day, I still remember me and my flatmate walking back sometime in the first couple of weeks after a night out (might even have been Fresher's Week) after we'd spent all our money on booze. Pretty damn cold and the walk just didn't seem to end, must have took about an hour or so (although we were pretty drunk).

The bars are alright, although not as cheap as I expected. Most don't seem to have a late license though so last orders is usually around 11ish, which is a bit rubbish when you fancy getting drunk in the week without wanting to go out into town.
Dooze
Maybe in the day, I still remember me and my flatmate walking back sometime in the first couple of weeks after a night out (might even have been Fresher's Week) after we'd spent all our money on booze. Pretty damn cold and the walk just didn't seem to end, must have took about an hour or so (although we were pretty drunk).

The bars are alright, although not as cheap as I expected. Most don't seem to have a late license though so last orders is usually around 11ish, which is a bit rubbish when you fancy getting drunk in the week without wanting to go out into town.

I've walked back at night a couple of times, always with other people though. Wouldn't do it no my own- that road between the two bits of cycle track terrifies me, because of the way the streetlights randomly go on and off!
Reply 6
Crunchy Nutty
Anyone doing English Language and Sociolinguistics/Linguisitcs/anything else! who can tell me how you're finding it? From what I've read, I love the sound of the course and modules available, but I just think first hand opinions and experiences would be helpful too!

What's Lancaster's campus like? I've heard from people that it's in the middle of nowhere but I'm guessing there's a bus that goes into the city centre which is easy enough to get?!

And any more information regarding Lancaster's music/social scene; student union etc. would be dandy! :biggrin:

Thank you!

Hey. I do Linguistics, and I did Sociolinguistics in my 1st year. I love the department - the lecturers are really good, and the modules (although they are all changing) are really interesting. The really good thing about the department is that even if your major is English Language (for example), except for the compulsory modules, you can choose absolutely anything you are interested in from the whole range of modules in the department.

If you want to know more, just ask!:smile:
Reply 7
I do linguistics too, and do some English Language modules too. The department is great, as banana says- great choice of courses to take and actually they're really supportive.

In terms of location, it's in what I genuinely think is a beautiful small city just half an hour from the Lake District. The campus is surrounded by fields and trees etc- on the windy road up to the campus from the main road there's a duck pond with a little sign saying 'ducks crossing' it's awesome :
Reply 8
*banana
Hey. I do Linguistics, and I did Sociolinguistics in my 1st year. I love the department - the lecturers are really good, and the modules (although they are all changing) are really interesting. The really good thing about the department is that even if your major is English Language (for example), except for the compulsory modules, you can choose absolutely anything you are interested in from the whole range of modules in the department.

If you want to know more, just ask!:smile:

Hey, I do linguistics too- what year are you in/courses are you doing?
Reply 9
jmj
Hey, I do linguistics too- what year are you in/courses are you doing?

Hey. I'm in my 3rd year, but as I do French aswell I'm on my year abroad. Last year I did 208 and 212 which were both really great - especially 208. What about you?
Reply 10
*banana
Hey. I'm in my 3rd year, but as I do French aswell I'm on my year abroad. Last year I did 208 and 212 which were both really great - especially 208. What about you?

Oh, okay- cool. I did 208 last year too- maybe we know each other! :p:

Latest