The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
J.Ferdi
Is anyone else sick of political correctness? I'll tell you my story:
I was with a few friends the other day and I referred to someone as mixed race, one of my white friends told me I couldn't say that.
I asked 'why?'
He said 'because its not PC and offensive.' I obviously put him straight and said I'm mixed race, its not offensive, and I'll keep saying it.

Does anyone else get annoyed about Political correctness and people telling you what you can't say? I personally think if your fat you can use the word fat, if your black you can use the word niga, Chinese can say Chink ect. I mean its your race or people so can you not refer to them as you want?

:eek:

"Political Correctnes" is the coward's way of avoiding the truth.
Reply 21
What if you're quoting someone? Can you say it?

Also why is it not PC to use colour to describe?

For example:

Emmanuel Adebayor and Nicklas Bendtner

If somebody asked who is who (they didn't know about football) you could say "the big man up front" (but they are both big men)

If you said "Adebayor is the black guy/Bendtner is the white guy" would that be racist? You are not using their race in a derogatory manner.
Reply 22
Big Kabz
What if you're quoting someone? Can you say it?

Also why is it not PC to use colour to describe?

For example:

Emmanuel Adebayor and Nicklas Bendtner

If somebody asked who is who (they didn't know about football) you could say "the big man up front" (but they are both big men)

If you said "Adebayor is the black guy/Bendtner is the white guy" would that be racist? You are not using their race in a derogatory manner.

Noticing differences in people of different skin colors is not racism. Racism is "hatred or intolerance of another race or other races." It is not racist to point out that they have different skin colors.
Reply 23
Democracy
There never was a school where they are forced to sing "Baa Baa rainbow sheep", nor are the phrases "blackboard" and "white board" banned ANYWHERE, you ARE, in fact, still allowed to buy black coffee, black tea, blackcurrant juice and blackberries. None of those stories have any basis in fact and are entirely sensationalised urban myths perpetuated by right wing propaganda eg the daily mail

Giving yourself the oh so witty label of "Politically incorrect" does not make you "new" or "edgy" it makes you a bigot with a catchy label.

People should shut the **** up about it, political correctness as it is defined in the media DOES NOT EXIST, liberal bogeyman have no plans to steal away your rights to free speech, and most PC is an invention of the right wing to demonise and hinder social progress. Baa baa rainbow sheep doesn't exist.

Stop believing everything you read in tabloids. It will not end well for you.

And how the hell do you know that 'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep' wasn't and isn't sung?
Reply 24
Democracy
There never was a school where they are forced to sing "Baa Baa rainbow sheep", nor are the phrases "blackboard" and "white board" banned ANYWHERE, you ARE, in fact, still allowed to buy black coffee, black tea, blackcurrant juice and blackberries. None of those stories have any basis in fact and are entirely sensationalised urban myths perpetuated by right wing propaganda eg the daily mail

Giving yourself the oh so witty label of "Politically incorrect" does not make you "new" or "edgy" it makes you a bigot with a catchy label.

People should shut the **** up about it, political correctness as it is defined in the media DOES NOT EXIST, liberal bogeyman have no plans to steal away your rights to free speech, and most PC is an invention of the right wing to demonise and hinder social progress. Baa baa rainbow sheep doesn't exist.

:yep:
joe4wolves
And how the hell do you know that 'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep' wasn't and isn't sung?

Cause I'm not a gullible idiot who believes in media hype.
I once referred to a fictional character on TV as 'Half Black' and got torn up by a women with a 'mixed race child'. The starting comment was 'what colour was her other half'. This person was very petite and white and stressed she would only sleep with "Muscular Black Men".
Perfect_Gent
I once referred to a fictional character on TV as 'Half Black' and got torn up by a women with a 'mixed race child'. The starting comment was 'what colour was her other half'. This person was very petite and white and stressed she would only sleep with "Muscular Black Men".

Why do I not believe this story?
Democracy

took the words right out of my mouth :biggrin:
Reply 29
I hate the term politically correct. When has politics ever been politically correct?!
A is for Awesome
There is only one time where a white person can say the N word.

If it's Christmas Eve, and it's between 4:30 and 4:49 in the morning, and you're on your way to Toys 'R' Us to get your kid the last Transformer doll, and right before you walk into Toys 'R' Us, some black person runs up beside you, smacks you in the head with a brick, knocks you to the ground, stomps on your face, saying "Take that, you cracker-ass mother :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: and he Riverdances on your head, takes your money, pisses on you, and runs away- if you're white, at that moment, you can say "Somebody stop that :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:!"

:rofl:
Chris Rock is awesome. :love:
Reply 31
J.Ferdi
Is anyone else sick of political correctness? I'll tell you my story:
I was with a few friends the other day and I referred to someone as mixed race, one of my white friends told me I couldn't say that.
I asked 'why?'
He said 'because its not PC and offensive.' I obviously put him straight and said I'm mixed race, its not offensive, and I'll keep saying it.

:eek:

...Since when has mixed-raced been offensive? I'm mixed-raced. So, what's the alternative to describing 'ourselves'? It's not like we can call ourselves English or anything without being challenged for it.
Reply 32
Democracy

Because Black is not a derogatory term. And I think your very mistaken schools in the UK anyway are always being told about words that are not to be used such as 'Brainstorm' was out ruled and now we have to tell children they are not aloud to use the term 'Gay' as a replacement for rubbish as it is offensive to homosexuals. Another example would be the word spas-tic or spaz in fact the first is even not aloud to be typed in this forum when the term was commonly used years ago with the spas-tic society being the charity to care with those people with 'Learning disabilities'
Reply 33
Failed123
...Since when has mixed-raced been offensive? I'm mixed-raced. So, what's the alternative to describing 'ourselves'? It's not like we can call ourselves English or anything without being challenged for it.

My thoughts exactly I'm never going to let any person tell me whats offensive to a race that I'm part of, personally I say what I want, except when around certain people.
Reply 34
A is for Awesome
There is only one time where a white person can say the N word.

If it's Christmas Eve, and it's between 4:30 and 4:49 in the morning, and you're on your way to Toys 'R' Us to get your kid the last Transformer doll, and right before you walk into Toys 'R' Us, some black person runs up beside you, smacks you in the head with a brick, knocks you to the ground, stomps on your face, saying "Take that, you cracker-ass mother :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: and he Riverdances on your head, takes your money, pisses on you, and runs away- if you're white, at that moment, you can say "Somebody stop that :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:!"

:toofunny:
Abolition of the slave trade was where it all started. Bloody hand-wringing liberal PC do-gooders.
Reply 36
Can I just clear something up. I'm white. Am I allowed to black people black?
J.Ferdi
Because Black is not a derogatory term. And I think your very mistaken schools in the UK anyway are always being told about words that are not to be used such as 'Brainstorm' was out ruled

Source or gtfo.

and now we have to tell children they are not aloud to use the term 'Gay' as a replacement for rubbish as it is offensive to homosexuals
Another example would be the word spas-tic or spaz in fact the first is even not aloud to be typed in this forum when the term was commonly used years ago with the spas-tic society being the charity to care with those people with 'Learning disabilities'

If anything this isn't the fault of this so called "PC" you're ranting on about, but of society as a whole which is cruel enough to insult people by calling them disabled. Is it society's fault that language needs to change to be inoffensive? Like it or not, these days the word retard is used by teenagers to insult eachother. Do you really want to call a SEN kid a retard infront of his classmates? Incidentally, the same is also true of Moron and Idiot...one of my (very old) medical dictionaries lists both these words as medical vocabulary...are they still acceptable to call patients today what with all the negative connotations surrounding them? That a mentally ill patient is an idiot, the same way your wilfully uncaring brother is?

SEN/Learning disabilities/etc all came about, not through politicians being too careful, but as a natural response to society's changing vocabulary. If you really think mentally ill people want to be called retards, why don't you call one it, and see if they like it.

Overground
Abolition of the slave trade was where it all started. Bloody hand-wringing liberal PC do-gooders.

I remember a time when you used to contribute to such debates...and you have a go at me for my debating? :wink:
Reply 38
I saw a wonderful piece of graffiti in a service station toilet in Lancashire yesterday.

"Kill all the :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:" (that's the N-word, incidentally). I thought "that's a bit extreme".
Reply 39
Political correctness gone mad!

Latest

Trending

Trending