The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How is Daniel Williams connected to the UK Independence Party, may I ask?
PM me if preferred.

Also you may wish to note that they aren't the sole voice of Euroscepticism, there are other parties such as the English Democrats which also oppose membership. Not all Eurosceptics will support UKIP.
Reply 41
PeterMcPete
So because they voted against it, they didn't understand it? Righhhhht.:confused:

Did I say that? No. It was a common reason given for voting against it that too little information had been given on the issue.

But to an extent, I do agree with the question presented: it was a perfectly reasonable treaty. The fact that they didn't vote for it exposes problems not with the treaty, but with the voting public and their influences.

And the proof for that is.....

Various opinion polls, most obviously the "Eurobarometer" ones.
Reply 42
im in a coma
How is Daniel Williams connected to the UK Independence Party, may I ask?
PM me if preferred.

He's not. He's the Speaker of the TSR House of Commons and also responsible for the registration of TSR political parties.
L i b
He's not. He's the Speaker of the TSR House of Commons and also responsible for the registration of TSR political parties.

Ah right, in that case, it would be nice to know how the person who intends to lead the UKIP 'TSR Political Party' is connected to UKIP.
L i b
Did I say that? No. It was a common reason given for voting against it that too little information had been given on the issue..

Liekwise people probably voted for it without the neccessary information...

L i b
But to an extent, I do agree with the question presented: it was a perfectly reasonable treaty. The fact that they didn't vote for it exposes problems not with the treaty, but with the voting public and their influences.

So there is no problems with the treaty, but people who vote against it have problems? Thats a bit ignorant.

Link please! :biggrin:
Tintin and the Picaros
I would just like to ask what this 'progress' that you mentioned above actually is.

Internationalism is progress.
lotsofsnails
Internationalism is progress.

So your saying that by validating trading links in the EU free market with other countries is progress.
Reply 47
im in a coma
Ah right, in that case, it would be nice to know how the person who intends to lead the UKIP 'TSR Political Party' is connected to UKIP.

Hes not connected.
Reply 48
PeterMcPete
Liekwise people probably voted for it without the neccessary information...

I'd like to see someone who voted for it on those grounds. Like it or not, the Irish people had access to any information about the treaty they would have liked. They simply chose in the main not to bother consulting it.

So there is no problems with the treaty, but people who vote against it have problems? Thats a bit ignorant.

No, the people who voted against it were often ignorant.

Link please! :biggrin:

To what? I did not refer to a website.
Reply 49
im in a coma

He's not. He's a cad who was expelled from the TSR Conservatives for improper conduct and attempted to set up a TSR Scottish Nationalist/Plaid Cymru Party, before realising he would not get the sufficient support and turning towards this venture.
Reply 50
If it can sort out its accounting, I don't see why free trade a cooperation is a bad thing.
I don't know whether overall I think it's a good or bad thing, but I think for Britain it's pointless. The main ideals don't apply to us.

We don't really benefit from the subsidies and the most of the economic benefit comes from the euro, which we don't have. There isn't really much of a threat to the UK from other European countries, and the member states don't agree on many military policies. The open borders policy doesn't really apply either, because we're not a member of Schengen and we aren't physically attached to the continent, so can't drive across borders.

However, I spent the summer in France gaining work experience and was given €1400 to do so. I'll get ERASMUS grants when I'm on my year abroad. Personally, although this suits me very well, I think that's a huge waste of money, considering for the 20 people who went on my French work programme alone (a programme which runs about ten schemes), the EU forked out €24,000. Times that by the number of countries said programme operated in, that's nearly a quarter of a million euros, just for a summer gaining largely useless work experience.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I don't see much appeal in the EU for the average British citizen, but I'm happy for it to exist when it insists on throwing money at me and will make my life easier when I want to move abroad to work.
L i b

Such as this one?

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb70/eb70_first_en.pdf

Page 31; "Generally speaking, do you think that Britain's membership of the EU is a good thing?"

32% of people agreed that it was a good thing.

Page 36; "Taking everthing into account, would you say that Britain has benefitted from being a member of the EU?"

39% of people believed that Britain has benefited.

Page 39; "Do you trust the European Commision?"

27% of British people trusted the EC.

Need any more proof? - Read the document. On the whole, Europewide, there is support for the EU, but in Britain only about 30% of people support it. We sould look after our own interests and pull out before more stupid treaties and laws are forced upon us that we have no say in.
The EU does things I don't like, with no obvious method of stopping it save withdrawl. That therefore seems to be a sensible idea. Principally, it keeps passing new and restrictive legislation.
Reply 54
the Poll is confusing - yes and no and a completely different question in the title of the thread.

(I voted yes and should have voted no).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_Funds_and_Cohesion_Funds - 36% of the EU spend, one can hardly argue this is a bad thing.
Im not sure Switzerland is the best example for this, because Switzerland is more European then it first appears, they have a bilateral trade agreement with the EU and the majority of their trade is done within the EU, so they clearly benefit from the existence of the Eurozone.
gamer91
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_Funds_and_Cohesion_Funds - 36% of the EU spend, one can hardly argue this is a bad thing.

A politburo?
Reply 57
Collingwood
A politburo?

I'm afraid you'll have to expand upon that.
Reply 58
PeterMcPete
Such as this one?

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb70/eb70_first_en.pdf

Page 31; "Generally speaking, do you think that Britain's membership of the EU is a good thing?"

32% of people agreed that it was a good thing.

Page 36; "Taking everthing into account, would you say that Britain has benefitted from being a member of the EU?"

39% of people believed that Britain has benefited.

Page 39; "Do you trust the European Commision?"

27% of British people trusted the EC.

Need any more proof? - Read the document. On the whole, Europewide, there is support for the EU, but in Britain only about 30% of people support it. We sould look after our own interests and pull out before more stupid treaties and laws are forced upon us that we have no say in.

Don't :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: tell me to 'read' something and then post things which are completely and utterly irrelevant to an assertion I've made which you've obviously failed completely to understand, then hold it up as some sort of logical victory.
gamer91
I'm afraid you'll have to expand upon that.

It's hardly a rare view that the economy shouldn't be centrally planned by a monolithic state body funded out of taxation.

Latest