The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I wouldn't really saw planck was an amazing physicist compared to some of the others such as Feynman, Neumann, Mawell and Heisenberg.

I can actually understand how max planck derived his constant from black body radiation (see MT lectures), but to understand the stuff the other guys did I would have to have done at least a masters in physics.
Zerodos
I think Hawkings got to make an appearence

he will be the new Davros in the next Dr Who and the Darleks.:eek:

Born should be on the list Einstein-Born Condesate anyone, and for being the Great Grandad of Olivia Newton John.
Reply 42
MeAndBubbles
Born should be on the list Einstein-Born Condesate anyone, and for being the Great Grandad of Olivia Newton John.
I think you mean Bose.
littleshambles
I thought it was "Planck".

I thought someone would have gotten it (my joke) or if they if they had atleast had a wee chuckle about it.
Reply 44
1. Newton
2. Einstein (I think they should be tied though with Newton slightly slightly higher, reason being - Einstein probabily would have invented calculus if it weren't already around)
AHAHAHA dispite me doing a degree in physics, I don't know any other physics people...
Reply 45
To quite a few people's surprise, Einstein was not good at maths - he in fact asked for help with it many times.
As we say in the north - Yaldi!
F()cking yes.
YEAH!
YASS!

BOO_YAH!
Zophixan
1. Newton
2. Einstein (I think they should be tied though with Newton slightly slightly higher, reason being - Einstein probabily would have invented calculus if it weren't already around)
AHAHAHA dispite me doing a degree in physics, I don't know any other physics people...

surely Plank, isn't he like sand and gets everywhere.
Reply 49
There is seriously too many lmao. Einstein, Newton, Maxwell, Bohr/Shrodinger/Heisenberg, the Curies, Boltzmann...
D-Day is definitely up there
Reply 51
not rutherford, that bastard. he turned my uni into chernobyl (sort of).
D-Day's my pick too, he's great. Morbo as well.
Reply 53
I ment it as in sort of plural lol. I missed the ' out. As in Hawking has or Hawking's.
Reply 54
DeanK2
To quite a few people's surprise, Einstein was not good at maths - he in fact asked for help with it many times.

I agree, Einstein wasn't actually great at maths. Sorry i don't have a link, but i'm sure if you google and research it you'll find it easily enough. Einstein's contribution was more so through his brilliant ideas than developing them mathematically (though he did that too albeit with some help). I would say Newton had a bigger impact though; the stuff he invented/discovered (especially calculus and classical mechanics) are pretty fundamental to physics.

Zophixan
1. Newton

I don't think Einstein would have invented calculus, like i said, he wasn't great at maths and he was a physicist anyway. But somebody probably would have if Newton hadn't.
Reply 55
KSP
I agree, Einstein wasn't actually great at maths. Sorry i don't have a link, but i'm sure if you google and research it you'll find it easily enough. Einstein's contribution was more so through his brilliant ideas than developing them mathematically (though he did that too albeit with some help). I would say Newton had a bigger impact though; the stuff he invented/discovered such as calculus and classical mechanics are pretty fundamental to physics.

I don't think Einstein would have invented calculus, like i said, he wasn't great at maths and he was a physicist anyway. But somebody probably would have if Newton hadn't.

Leibniz.
Reply 56
KSP
I agree, Einstein wasn't actually great at maths. Sorry i don't have a link, but i'm sure if you google and research it you'll find it easily enough. Einstein's contribution was more so through his brilliant ideas than developing them mathematically (though he did that too albeit with some help). I would say Newton had a bigger impact though; the stuff he invented/discovered (especially calculus and classical mechanics) are pretty fundamental to physics.

Ooo, I meant, if Einstein and Newton were around the same time. What I meant was - Newton yes did the basics, but I think Physics was stuck in a rut around the ether till Einstein thought up the stuff. I was under the impression that Einstein wasn't good at maths, compared to say the other physics guys... but that still is amazingly good at maths! I mean, I can derive most of Newton's calculus, so surely he could as well. With his creative brain, I'm sure he would have come up with calculus eventually.
MeAndBubbles
surely Plank, isn't he like sand and gets everywhere.

Ooo, I only know one thing about him.... planks length, smallest length possible or something..

You guys can probabily tell I should have probabily done a maths degree instead lolol.
Reply 57
Zophixan
Ooo, I meant, if Einstein and Newton were around the same time. What I meant was - Newton yes did the basics, but I think Physics was stuck in a rut around the ether till Einstein thought up the stuff. I was under the impression that Einstein wasn't good at maths, compared to say the other physics guys... but that still is amazingly good at maths! I mean, I can derive most of Newton's calculus, so surely he could as well. With his creative brain, I'm sure he would have come up with calculus eventually.

Ooo, I only know one thing about him.... planks length, smallest length possible or something..

You guys can probabily tell I should have probabily done a maths degree instead lolol.

Deriving it and thinking it up are two completely different things though :smile:. Newton pretty much invented physics as it stands today.

Also, Planck time is the smallest unit of time (and possibly length) but isn't the smallest possible :wink:
Reply 58
Mithra
Deriving it and thinking it up are two completely different things though :smile:. Newton pretty much invented physics as it stands today.

Also, Planck time is the smallest unit of time (and possibly length) but isn't the smallest possible :wink:

Planck time is the smallest we can measure. However Planck length is the biggest something can be before QM effects dominate - i.e. it is the transitions tate between having to take the QM limit to match the classical.

EDIT: I am incorrect- the planck length is such that gravity displays quantum effects, and so is actually very small. Soory - my mistake.
Reply 59
Mithra

Oh something I found today btw http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419601202?tag=aneliinph-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1419601202&adid=157S9W7N1H5J6RP68WFA& Its like crackpot conspiracy physics, its a good laugh, theres a link online for free somewhere.

Another thing: Do you guys also like philosophy? Historically physics was intertwined with philosophy, but since the 1950s (nukes and the ilk), physics seems to be taught less with philosphical aspects.

Latest