The Student Room Group
Reply 1
oooh, first post! :woo:

It has to be said that I'm doing very little. Which is bad, as I'm doing it a year early and so only get half the lesson time that year 12's get. And it's a new course, so only one example paper is out there :frown:

Oh well........

My weak bit has to be the html. We covered that in half an hour. :shifty:
Reply 2
ye the html is tough..
My weak points are probs the internet structure and some of the harder devices...(LCD screen= WTF!?) lol
well all I did was make notes and get a book from the library on it xD although my teacher thinks only like 4 of us are gonna pass xD cause the rest don't seem to take an interest and probably only took it since they thought it would be easy.

As for revision, I'd just make more notes, go through your notes. Get someone to read the notes and test you on information you've written down. And i know there's only one past paper, but if you go here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2510-W-TRB-OGLSQPM.PDF
It'll tell you what questions from OLD past papers are in the new syllabus.

I'd just do that, put it into practice (like HTML and that), although i've done HTML since I was 13, i don't find it hard at all. But here's a site which may help: http://www.lissaexplains.com/

That should help. Hardware devices, such as printers and LCD screen are easy to learn about. Internet structure makes sense if you just think of an analogy for it, like draw a diagram, some lines and a box or something may help, make a song up. xD stick the notes on the back of your toilet door and read when you're on the toilet. lol xD

LCD screens are a bit hard to grasp I think, but with persistence it sticks in your head. Ask your teacher on Monday before the exam (when mine is) and ask about what it is quickly.

Hope this helps. Peace.
Reply 4
Thanks for the help fah
Ye i think im getting there with most of the stuff..gonna go over some stubborn topics tomorrow like software and ethical issues etc
Good luck on monday :smile:
pah XD well I just did the exam, NOTHING on printers, nothing on issues, like one things on the law about data protection. nothing about mice, screens nada. I was quite gutted nothing on the TCP/IP came up, although explain the Fetch-Execute Cycle was an easy 6 marks, so was the differences between the Internet, Intranet and WWW. Boolean threw me off a bit. Otherwise I found everything eays, part from the Boolean bit.

Although the last exam question was someting to do with a security tag system in a library and I was like "are you serious, it's self explanitory, they use a similar system to a shop" XD then a question about what is a robot, although some people put physical robots, I put robots that are automated to do something, like a searchbot or something. Well I'spose it's open to interpretation.

Hope I get an A, thought it was a good exam, what about you guys? If anyone does the AQA syllabus. lol
Reply 6
Ye I found it pretty easy..Only one that through me off was the 2 marker on style sheets but i might have scraped one mark :smile:
On the data protection act when it asked for 3 marks..is it referring to the bullet points listed in the book?(Data must be accurate,Allowed to read when you want etc etc..i hope so lol)
Overall,pleasantly suprised as was easier than expected lol..
Now physics tomorrow :eek:
Reply 7
I found the exam ok,

@Bazil_23 for the CSS answer I put:

text-align: center; color: blue;

And the x between h1{ and }, Ive been doing CSS for a couple of years so thats helped!

I think I lost a few marks on what is a robot ... I was thinking more of AI!! Also probably a few marks here and there.

One question which actually stumped me ( I think,) Ill write what I put here (not completely the same as in the exam but answers will be the same! What I wrote is in black):

http://www.aqa.org.uk/foo/bar/somepage.php

Explain:

http://
tells server to use the hyper text transfer protocol

www.aqa.org.uk
resource location; unresolved FQDN

foo/bar/somepage.html
php document in sub folder foo; web page file path.

Maybe I though it was trying to trick me and tried too hard.... anyone else do this and got something different, comments etc

How did everyone else do?
Reply 8
Ahh, just found this:

The URL is made up of three parts:

http://

The “http” means that you are dealing with a World
Wide Web resource. It stands for “HyperText Transport
Protocol”. This is the way that the Web moves information
around the world. This information is critical to your
browser. It tells the browser how to connect to the system.

www.europa.com

This is the next part of the URL. It is the name of the
site where the resource is located. It is the name given
to the actual server that sits somewhere in the world on
the Internet.

/~ria/links.html

The final part of the URL is the directory path and resource
name. Notice that the path is separated with forward slashes.
Reply 9
Anyone know if i matters what order you had the algebra in?

I got (A.B) + (NOT B.C), like if you had the NOT B and c the other way round?
Reply 10
I had a.b + b.c

and the second b has a line on top !

Now thinking back... I didnt put brackets s**t !
Reply 11
cuche
I had a.b + b.c

and the second b has a line on top !

Now thinking back... I didnt put brackets s**t !

i afraid that the bracket will cost u, friends :o: . Anyway, i revised really hard for hard stuff but the stuff actually came up on the paper were not that hard but that's why i am sure I wont get 100%:frown:
Reply 12
for the css question i ****** i was panicking because i forgot to revise i put

text-allign=center font=blue

i spelt align wrong lol and put font instead of color

i think i got the definition of a robot wrong but the example i may have a got right

the logic diagram also pissed me off except for that i think i pretty much got most the questions right

it was quite a short paper managed to finish in 30 mins
Reply 13
Just to add, for the robot example, I said bomb disposal ... what did everyone else put?
For the robot i used an example of car welding/painting, saying there more accurate etc no wage needs to be paid, cheaper work 24/7.

Took me a while to get my head around that algebra. I managed to answer all questions but 1 or two with confidence. The RFID threw me off and the internet one was a pick iffy.
Reply 15
cuche
Just to add, for the robot example, I said bomb disposal ... what did everyone else put?

:biggrin: i think everything is reasonable will be accepted. I put that robot can be used to discover new planet, bcz it doesnt need life condition and safer for human and same for u as well.
Reply 16
oh ****..
with the boolean question where it was
A.B+ 'B.C did u have to have brackets? I was told brackets werent needed unless they were linked with an OR gate or something..
Bah
Reply 17
Bazil_23
oh ****..
with the boolean question where it was
A.B+ 'B.C did u have to have brackets? I was told brackets werent needed unless they were linked with an OR gate or something..
Bah

Depends on examiner, i think they might give u marks or might not. Because, if u think in mathematic then you will not not bracket anyway because "." equivalet to "x" and then in math, we will do "x" first. However, it depends but i hope that examier will give u mark.
Reply 18
hehe thanks mate :smile:
I quickly checked over the aqa text book to reassure myself and it DOES have examples like "A.B + B.C" without brackets so hopefully will be ok..Ah well no point worrying now

Latest

Trending

Trending