The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
CNomis
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between Work America and KAMP USA. I'm leaning towards Work America... for anyone that's done it before, what is the social side of it like? Did you meet and hang out with other people on the programme? Or do you get a job and not really see anyone other than your employer? Obviously I'm there to work but I'd like it to be fun as well.

Hay the social is the biggest part of it!! all i think back to are the friends i made, the beach parties, beer pong parties we had and how much fun it was. i still speak to all of the people i met on skype weekly, and they are from all over the world not just england and america. :smile: i lived with the people i worked with so we were all in the same boat working and stuff. i got 2 jobs and it didnt even feel like i was working ever. hope this helps Sim
Reply 161
01kij114
I wouldnt say it solely about the work, there the ability to travel around the entire states.

hay there are soo many more jobs then that. i worked on a campground, theres office work, country clubs, hotels, shops. there are SOO SOO many. the job directory had a whole bunch in most states. if you didnt want one from there either there is the option of finding your own befpore you go out there.
Reply 162
almeida_213
Same here. I sent bunac an email a few days ago requesting a job directory. I find it quite daunting signing up for the scheme without knowing what and where the jobs are available. Might give them a call tomorrow. I'll probly sign up anyway before the end of Jan, otherwise I'll never do it.

How was the summer camp? it sounded really good and i was going to apply for that but they start hiring people for June and i can only make it from mid July. thougt id go for work america instead.

Also a question to anyone whose do this before: if you take the bunac flight package to new york, but say your job is in california, how are these internal flights arranged? by yourself or bunac?

i flew out with the package and i girl i flew with was heading to california. she organised her own internal flights. she had a job from the directory waiting for her so i think her employers gave her the best tips on getting there from NY. it was really good meeting people on the plane and knowing i wasnt in ny on my own. you could spend a few nights in NYC before flying out there, you meet soo many people in the hostels.
Reply 163
chrisjordanUEA
I'm 99% sure I also want to do this. I'm kinda worried about not getting the job I want though. Does anyone know how easy it is to get a job using the BUNAC job directory if you don't care what state you're going to? I was after waiting/country club jobs!

You shouldn't have a problem finding a job especially if you're so flexible with location - when I did Work America there were lots of jobs in country clubs and waiting jobs. I'd go for it while you have the opportunity - i had a brilliant time!
I really wanted to do this this summer, but I have come to a bad conclusion.

First of all I wondered why there were hardly any testimonials and previous experience info on this program online. So I looked on facebook and came across the Bunac Work America 2009 group where I read constant sad messages:
-Do not go to America without a job as you will not find one, employers do not want foreign students with visa limitations.
-Do not go to any of the big cities if you are earning $9 an hour, you will struggle to survive.

Infact the only positive reviews I keep hearing about this program comes from posters with hardly any previous posts, really questionable motives.

Frankly, I have found that World Wide Cultural Exchange or something with rigid links to good companies is probably better off to apply with.
That or I'll just go back to my summer camp job, it's all in the air.

Bunac also IMO are poor with what work they can arrange other than what is in their job directory, I specifically asked about jobs at a particular theme park and whether they had relations there, I then got a really banal email back outlining the program quite generally.
Last year they forgot to send of my CRB for about a month, just great.
Hey

I have done work america with BUNAC and I had a good time and did not find it too challenging to find a job.

Bunac advise that you shouldnt go to the big cities (LA and NY) with a low paid job as with any of the other big cities the living costs are extremely high. However, if you go with funds in you pocket you shoudl be find.

The job directory have an array of jobs, from themeparks, to restaurants, to country clubs to retail outlets. But you can arrange your own outthere - If you agree to work until labour day (7th sept i think) and have your visa (which bunac help you arrange) then firms have no problems hiring foreign workers.

As far as i know the visa does not limit you, of course you are limited to working summer but as it is summer casual work you are doing that is fine. I think you cant work as a camp counselor, au pair as well.

I would recommend it, and I had a very positive experience with BUNAC. I am really surpirsed that you were disapointed with the communication you received from them. I have done work and summer camp and I have phoned and emailed them numerous times asking questions and they were always really helpful.

Anyway, if you have any questions about it just ask.
Reply 166
Has anyone got any tips for job hunting? There's no way I'm going without a pre-arranged job, but I'm finding things really difficult, especially since I'm planning to go with a friend. We've applied to loads of places in the directory, which has given us just one interview. I'm thinking of what we're going to do next if this interview falls through.
Reply 167
lolarose
Has anyone got any tips for job hunting? There's no way I'm going without a pre-arranged job, but I'm finding things really difficult, especially since I'm planning to go with a friend. We've applied to loads of places in the directory, which has given us just one interview. I'm thinking of what we're going to do next if this interview falls through.

you should try j-1jobs.com. I applied for a few jobs on there and have had two responses so far but i've now decided to do kamp usa instead so am not job hunting anymore. Good luck with your search :smile:
Reply 168
I am finding it really hard to find a job, I have sent out numerous emails and not had even a response yet, quite annoying..oh well i live in hope
Reply 169
craigs list is also good with job listings. and accomodation hunting. my advcie would be to apply to as many jobs as you can. the replies will come soon enough. Anyone interested on working on a campground in the office and store in Cape Cod, MA? i worked there and had an amazing time, found it in the directory. Message me if you want any info on this
Reply 170
I managed to get a job... yay!

Persevere... I started sending out emails last Sunday. I got about 5 job offers/interested emails. Also, email everywhere you can. I emailed maybe 25 places and have had around 10 responses. I got another today, almost a week and a half later. Some places are full already, or won't hire friends together, which was my main problem. Make sure your CV and cover letters are really strong too. I like proof reading things, so if you want me to look at it for you, just ask. And good luck! :smile:
lolarose
I managed to get a job... yay!

Persevere... I started sending out emails last Sunday. I got about 5 job offers/interested emails. Also, email everywhere you can. I emailed maybe 25 places and have had around 10 responses. I got another today, almost a week and a half later. Some places are full already, or won't hire friends together, which was my main problem. Make sure your CV and cover letters are really strong too. I like proof reading things, so if you want me to look at it for you, just ask. And good luck! :smile:

Just because I'm nosy... where did you get a job and what are you doing?!
Reply 172
Actually at the place that simmy mentioned above, oddly enough :p: Though I didn't get the job through her :smile:

How's everybody elses job search going?
Reply 173
Is anyone kinda wishing they'd never signed up in the first place? I already have a job offer etc, but after having taken a closer look at the math, I don't think I'm going to earn much money. Plus it does sound like a real strain doing the same job for 40 hours a week for 12 or 13 weeks all to earn maybe just $1000 net? Or am I just being drama?
zeogo
Is anyone kinda wishing they'd never signed up in the first place? I already have a job offer etc, but after having taken a closer look at the math, I don't think I'm going to earn much money. Plus it does sound like a real strain doing the same job for 40 hours a week for 12 or 13 weeks all to earn maybe just $1000 net? Or am I just being drama?

Think about the experience! I'm doing Camp America I've paid about 600 pounds excluding spending money and will only get $950 in return, so probably I've lost or I will break even. But however the experience is once in a lifetime think of all the friends you may make, the way you may develop and the skills you might learn. I'm jealous I wish I did Work America but I'm a graduate now. My point is don't think about just the money there's some things you'll experience which might be worth more.
Reply 175
Hi, I registered with Bunac work America, and I found a job, it's waiting for me, I just need to get my visa and flight ! I'll be in Cape cod, anyone will be working there this summer ?

That'd be nice to know at least someone :o:
Reply 176
sekotine
Hi, I registered with Bunac work America, and I found a job, it's waiting for me, I just need to get my visa and flight ! I'll be in Cape cod, anyone will be working there this summer ?

That'd be nice to know at least someone :o:

Which company are you working with there? I think I am living on the Marthas Vineyard.

So what stage is everybody at with this? I just paid my insurance this morning, and need to wait till BUNAC approves my info and requests my Ds-2019. hope I'll be ready in time for June 2nd!!
Am I on my own when I say I still haven't found a job? Been rejected from ~25 places as they are all full.
Reply 178
zeogo
Which company are you working with there? I think I am living on the Marthas Vineyard.

So what stage is everybody at with this? I just paid my insurance this morning, and need to wait till BUNAC approves my info and requests my Ds-2019. hope I'll be ready in time for June 2nd!!

I'll be working with Centerplate, on the ferries to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket =D
I just payed my insurance as well !
When are you going ? I said I'd be there from 12th june onward !
Reply 179
sekotine
I'll be working with Centerplate, on the ferries to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket =D
I just payed my insurance as well !
When are you going ? I said I'd be there from 12th june onward !

That's the same as me! I'm going on June 2nd if all goes to plan! Guess i'll be seeing you this summer then, do you know which island you will be living on?

Quick Reply

Latest