The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about doing the BUNAC Work America program this summer.

I have done a quick search on here but I can’t find any threads on the Work America program, however there is a lot of information on the Camp America program.

I would prefer to do the Work America program as I don’t think I could stand 3 months surrounded by spoilt kids at a summer camp.

So has anyone signed up for this summer yet?

If so have you found your placement in the job directory before your heading out (don’t need to mention specifics if you don’t want to)?

Have you completed all of the Visa application process and paid BUNAC?

Did you decide to go for the Travel Package or are you finding your own way there?

I have never done anything like this before so it is a whole new experience for me (as I imagine it is for most people)

It would be great to hear from anyone else who is doing the program this coming summer.

Mark

Scroll to see replies

Hiya - I am not doing the programme this summer, but I did it in 2006 - i had an amazing summer!!! I got my job in the directory before i left, but i also changed jobs while out there.. and i took the travel package, which was great to meet people also doing the same thing. Good luck with it all! :smile:
Thanks for your reply.

Somepeople have told me that the Travel package is expensive and I could get a direct flight cheaper.

However I think I would prefer to do as you have done and take the Travel Package purely for the opportunity to meet other people.

As you have finished can I ask where you went; state/ employer?

Did you join the program on your own or did you go with a friend/ friends?

Were other people on their own?

Many Thanks
Reply 3
Hey, do you mind just telling me how much it is to do this programme? Cheeres
Hi,

Full costs for this program can be found on the BUNAC website here:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workamerica/applying.aspx

The $400 support funds is currently worth about £200 due to the weak dollar

(xe.com checked: 17/03/08 - £199.798)
mark1234567890
Thanks for your reply.

Somepeople have told me that the Travel package is expensive and I could get a direct flight cheaper.

However I think I would prefer to do as you have done and take the Travel Package purely for the opportunity to meet other people.

As you have finished can I ask where you went; state/ employer?

Did you join the program on your own or did you go with a friend/ friends?

Were other people on their own?

Many Thanks

I worked for a camp ground in Pennsylvania and an ice cream store in Delaware. I went on my own as well - and everyone I met was on their own too, I stayed with and travelled with 2 other people from BUNAC also. The travel package is not just a flight, so yes you could get a cheaper flight but you do not get all the other things - like first night in Manhattan, orientation, meeting other people, all the organisation done for you, phone card etc... so the flight package is good, and plus it is so much fun! when i went virtually the whole back of the plane was BUNAC people, all talking about what they were going to do etc ...
mark1234567890
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about doing the BUNAC Work America program this summer.

I have done a quick search on here but I can’t find any threads on the Work America program, however there is a lot of information on the Camp America program.

I would prefer to do the Work America program as I don’t think I could stand 3 months surrounded by spoilt kids at a summer camp.

So has anyone signed up for this summer yet?

If so have you found your placement in the job directory before your heading out (don’t need to mention specifics if you don’t want to)?

Have you completed all of the Visa application process and paid BUNAC?

Did you decide to go for the Travel Package or are you finding your own way there?

I have never done anything like this before so it is a whole new experience for me (as I imagine it is for most people)

It would be great to hear from anyone else who is doing the program this coming summer.

Mark

I was just about to start a thread on this. I personally am not going to pay BUNAC until I know i can get a job since I'm only staying for 1 month
I worked for a camp ground in Pennsylvania and an ice cream store in Delaware. I went on my own as well - and everyone I met was on their own too, I stayed with and travelled with 2 other people from BUNAC also. The travel package is not just a flight, so yes you could get a cheaper flight but you do not get all the other things - like first night in Manhattan, orientation, meeting other people, all the organisation done for you, phone card etc... so the flight package is good, and plus it is so much fun! when i went virtually the whole back of the plane was BUNAC people, all talking about what they were going to do etc ...

thank you for your reply.

I have emailed BUNAC today to request a hard copy of the lastest job directory (they don't do an electronic version)

I will be sure to look out for those jobs in the book. I just hope that there is still some decent places left.

I will be sure to let you know how I get on.
Reply 8
I actually want to work in KAMP USA. It sounds like a lot of fun! But I have a question. If you pay for BUNAC membership but don't get a place do you get your money back?
mark1234567890
thank you for your reply.

I have emailed BUNAC today to request a hard copy of the lastest job directory (they don't do an electronic version)

I will be sure to look out for those jobs in the book. I just hope that there is still some decent places left.

I will be sure to let you know how I get on.

There will be loads of places left at the moment, March and early April are when most employers for Work America will be looking for people. :smile: good luck...

And with the question about KAMP, as far as I know you should get your money back if you are not placed, but I would check with BUNAC for the details.
shenzys
I actually want to work in KAMP USA. It sounds like a lot of fun! But I have a question. If you pay for BUNAC membership but don't get a place do you get your money back?

Just noticed you said BUNAC membership - well membership is only £5, but I assume you mean the other costs? if so, see my above answer!
There will be loads of places left at the moment, March and early April are when most employers for Work America will be looking for people. good luck...

Thanks for the info.
mark1234567890
Thanks for the info.

Hey mark have you thought of where you are applying? I wanted to go to NYC but I'm a bit apprehensive since it seems like a dangerous place
Hey mark have you thought of where you are applying? I wanted to go to NYC but I'm a bit apprehensive since it seems like a dangerous place

I haven't really thought about it yet. I don't think I can make a decision until I get the job directory with the list of jobs available in it. :s-smilie:

I think that the main problem with NYC would be the high cost of living. But your from London anyone so it would probably seem normal to you anyway. :biggrin:

I was hoping to find a position where there would be a few Mexicans so that I can brush up on my Spanish. :smile:
Shake 'n Bake
I know what you mean I asked for one yesterday so hopefully I can sort that out. Lol London is expensive too but I really want to cut the cost while I'm there in the US. Learning Spanish seems like a cool idea you would probably benefit from looking at Texas, California, Florida and areas down south. :wink:
If you happen to run into a nice guy who speaks spanish send him my way lol :biggrin:

Will do.. :wink:
Grrrr - when will BUNAC get this dammed job directory to me!! :s-smilie:

I know its easter but the sooner I get it the sooner I can start applying. :wink:

Anyone else waiting on one?
mark1234567890
Grrrr - when will BUNAC get this dammed job directory to me!! :s-smilie:

I know its easter but the sooner I get it the sooner I can start applying. :wink:

Anyone else waiting on one?

Yes but I've just applied for one.
Your best bet is to look on the monster jobs website to see the types of jobs you want/can do.
Alot of people secure there jobs before they go to America you'll be more prepared that way.
Reply 17
Hey,

I'm extremely interested in applying for this program and I would also like to take the Bunac travel package (to meet people etc..).. However, would people still recommend taking the travel package when you don't want to work in or around NYC? I'd much prefer to work within/near Florida or alternatively on the West coast..

Thanks alot
Serenity
Hey,

I'm extremely interested in applying for this program and I would also like to take the Bunac travel package (to meet people etc..).. However, would people still recommend taking the travel package when you don't want to work in or around NYC? I'd much prefer to work within/near Florida or alternatively on the West coast..

Thanks alot

Yeah I would still take the package, it is easy to get an internal flight or bus to where ever you work. Most people don't work in NYC anyway - but it is just a convenient flight destination, plus the first night free with BUNAC is a lot of fun, most ppl the following day will all travel to airports or the bus terminal together too to go onto their final destination.
You could always get your home flight from LA if you are going to be on the west coast as well..
How do you apply for the job directory? I can only seem to find how to order a brochure (which I've already done!). Do you have to pay the fee to be able to do so? I'm planning on doing it in 2009 but would like to have a look at what sort of stuff is available.

Quick Reply

Latest