Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to block facebook on PC?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I was wondering wud it be possible to block facebook on my PC so no one could use it in any web browser??? many thanks :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes...why would you want to do so?

The "hosts" file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc can be edited to redirect traffic aimed at facebook wherever you please.
    • 4 followers

Why would you do that?

Anyway, assuming you have Windows, the best way I can think of it is editing (in Notepad) the file located at:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ hosts

And copy and paste these two lines to the end of the file:
    Code:
    209.85.171.100 facebook.com
    209.85.171.100 www.facebook.com
    And save it.

Then any attempt to go to Facebook will lead to Google.

Also... kalbi lietuviškai?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.

Also, checking with your internet service provider homepage and your internet status, there is always a block and allow option where you can totally block websites, so when you type it in, you wont be directed to the page, you just get an error, 'this page cannot be displayed thing'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you are in the main/admin account, go into the web browser's privacy settings and add the desired website you wish to block. Obviously make sure the other users are logged in using a different windows account so they cannot revert the settings.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mericity)
    Interesting.

Also, checking with your internet service provider homepage and your internet status, there is always a block and allow option where you can totally block websites, so when you type it in, you wont be directed to the page, you just get an error, 'this page cannot be displayed thing'
    That would block it for everyone in the house...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    That would block it for everyone in the house...

You have different machines detected on the provider. You can block a site for that machine, while allowing the others.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    but why?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    surely if you have that much of an urge and no self-control to not go on facebook... then surely you will just unlock it for a quick check on the girl you fancy's status updates?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Why would you do that?

Anyway, assuming you have Windows, the best way I can think of it is editing (in Notepad) the file located at:

And copy and paste these two lines to the end of the file:
    Code:
    And save it.

Then any attempt to go to Facebook will lead to Google.

Also... kalbi lietuviškai?
    sounds good i try this way, aciu labai

(Original post by Keiron)
    Make sure you are in the main/admin account, go into the web browser's privacy settings and add the desired website you wish to block. Obviously make sure the other users are logged in using a different windows account so they cannot revert the settings.
    there is only one account which is admin account, thanks anyway

(Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    but why?
    some people at work spend 95% on facebook I just want to wish them happy new year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.

ALSO,

Ir aš kalbu Lietuviškai!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodman)
    some people at work spend 95% on facebook I just want to wish them happy new year
    Hahaha, good man.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)

Code:

seems working cool, many thanks and happy new year!
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodman)
    Good effort
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i did the following method as recommended and it worked fine, but how would i then unblock it, just deleting the stuff i copied in and saved does not reverse the change, its still blocked.???????

• 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celicasimon)
    i did the following method as recommended and it worked fine, but how would i then unblock it, just deleting the stuff i copied in and saved does not reverse the change, its still blocked.???????

Assuming you've removed the entries in the HOSTS file:
    Windows Key + R
    type: cmd
    This should open the command prompt.
    Type:
    ipconfig /flushdns

Try visiting the affected site again.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just being nosey, as I like to understand learn things, why does the hosts file alteration give a google error instead of a page cannot be displayed error/connection cannot be established, as it does if you try visit the localhost/loopback 127.0.0.1 also listed in hosts?
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessmarisa)
    Just being nosey, as I like to understand learn things, why does the hosts file alteration give a google error instead of a page cannot be displayed error/connection cannot be established, as it does if you try visit the localhost/loopback 127.0.0.1 also listed in hosts?
    Not 100% sure on that one. I can't recreate it. I assume it's because of the shortcut they have for Facecrack was pointing to www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo, but Google (whose IP address it was redirecting to) could not find google.com/home.php?ref=logo, as it doesn't exist.

Actually, I've managed to do it, just changed the IP address (looks like it's changed since the end of last year:

I've not farted about with the HOSTS file, but it achieves the same effect
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i get it now, my memory was foggy, and i thought everything in the hosts file redirected to localhost and the added IP's were facebooks'

Did a google figured out how hosts file actually works

:facepalm:

you live and learn.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessmarisa)
    Hey, i get it now, my memory was foggy, and i thought everything in the hosts file redirected to localhost and the added IP's were facebooks'

Did a google figured out how hosts file actually works

:facepalm:

you live and learn.
    No worries

Every day's a school day in the Tech Forum.
Updated: September 11, 2010
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.