The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

God damn... You could be working 45 hour weeks at your age, I was. If YOU want to revise 8 hours a day then feel free to and reap the rewards. There is plenty of time in the week for partying and when you do you can be guilt free because you've done the work already. 'Nuff respect to you.

49 hours sleep a week.
56 hours study if done every day.
20 hours lessons?
10 hours getting to and from school or whatever.

135 Hours. Leaves him with 33 hours a week to do what he pleases with, too many people just bum about doing nothing tbh.
Reply 41
my_username_was_taken
Hey guys,

What would you do in this situation? You want straight A's at AS and straigth A*'s at A2. However your family don't support you and think you are wasting your time revising, when you could be having fun! They say other people don't do so much work, and this part of my life i should be enjoying myself, not working hard. Then again, those people they are mentioning don't get the grades i would like. I can't describe how much i want those grades, but they are the opposite.

But the thing is, i actually enjoy revising and furthering my knowledge. I am not even doing that much at the moment 8-9 hours a day with 15 minute breaks every hour.

What do you suggest? This is getting quite annoying. They see my hard work as "pointless."

8-9 hours? did you do any work at school.
What subject you doing?
how many subject are you doing?

If you did not do homework or any work in lessons during term time this is understandable.

I did nothing from September till 27th of December (due to idiot teachers + school and common room is more fun the lessons) and i have 6 exams an im doing 7 hours a day.
Higgy90
if you need to do 8 hours a day then you have a problem with learning and are probably going to fail anyway

This is harsh but true.
Well, not probably going to fail (I think you'll do well, but who wants to be someone that has to work for their A levels) but if you need to do that much then you're having to work too hard. What will you do when you get to Uni? I think you're on the wrong career path.
woah! 8 hours a day, it is quite a lot tbh. make sure your getting enough rest, sleep, relaxing time etc, because it would be really horrible if you burn out.
Reply 44
Okay, contrary to what everyone else has been saying, I think it's okay to revise for that long. On three condition:

a) You must have January exams.
b) You are doing 4 or 5 "hard", traditional subjects.
c) You learn better from a book and struggle to pick things up in a classroom environment.

I was all the above and would start 12-14 hour revision days in the 3 weeks before exams because I'd done :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: all in the rest of the year.

If you're anything like that, then fair enough and get on with it. I got 5As in both AS and A2 level. There's a time for fun and that'll be right after your exams.
Reply 45
With exams just around the corner I think doing 8-10 hours is really good. So keep it up :smile: But I think your breaks should be longer say 30 minutes instead of 15.
jamessimth5
This makes me feel bad for my total of one hours revision this whole holiday.

this makes me feel bad for my NONE hours of revision this holiday
if you dont get A , then you must be fukin retarded

well you already are for revising that much
Reply 48
8/9 hours is long than I spend in school for a whole week!!

As a previous poster says.

'If you need to revise that much you clearly have problems learning and will fail anyway'

You need a life....I like your family. They seem sane.
8-9 hours a day is a bit too much, you can't be taking much in after 4 hours or so.
I agree it would be pointless studying for that long if he was forcing himself to, having lost concentration and the will to live, but he seems like someone who genuinely enjoys it and has fun doing it. And the people who say 'get a life', just because he has different interests and likes doesn't make him a retard.
OP, I'd tell your family that you doing what you truly enjoy and that it's not 'pointless', as when you get your results you'll reap the rewards and probably end up very successful careers-wise in future with your attitude.
Reply 51
lol 8-9 hours is a bit excessive, you need to relax a bit more. 3-4 hours should be suffice :yep:
Reply 52
8-9 hours must be very tiresome. PM me if you need some tips to help get good grades without revising for that long. : )
Reply 53
somethingbeautiful
They have a point there. If you're being serious you need to chill before you make yourself ill.

Haha loving the rhyme, it made me laugh
Reply 54
i think you are brilliant for trying so hard, just tell your parents that it will be so worth it when you get your results because hopefully it will be!! good luck with your exams!!! :biggrin:
Craaaaaaaaap, I did 2 hours a day back in the day when I did my GCSEs. Are they getting harder or something?
Reply 56
How long did you revise for your GCSEs?
Reply 57
i think you.re doing fine, you probably shouldnt spend that much 6-7 hours would be enough, but otherwise you're doing well...if you have an aim or ambition that is the only way to get to it - work hard...i didnt work very hard in year 12, so i suffered a bit by not getting all A's, so i regret now that i didnt work hard enough...
if your parents aren't supporting you, you need to talk to them and explain that this is the only way you are going to achieve what you are aiming for and that they need to support you in that and help you do that, show them how important it is for you and tell them hat you enjoy revising to some extent as well (if you do of course :0 )...you do need to have some time for yourself as well though, relax and have a break of one hour in the middle of your studies, that might make your parents think that you arent really burried in your studies, and maybe have some time off with them or something like that...best of luck, hope you find a solution :biggrin:
p.s. you can pm me if you need any advise
Reply 58
8-9 hours a day :lolwut:
AS levels are a lot easier than you seem to think they are.
awlright
How long did you revise for your GCSEs?

I did none basically, a few hours before each exam if i was lucky, sometimes i couldn't even be bothered doing work the night before. I didn't care about academia back then.:rolleyes:

Latest