The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Danielle'
I heard if you're accepted, you can choose whether to take your place or go to Hogwarts.

Oooh I reallly wish this was true!!! :eek3:
Reply 61
Tibbles168
I remembered talking to some guy from Oriel on open day who said he had to drink spirits out of his shoes or something like that.

'Tis true. I have seen it with my own eyes, but it is a rugby team thing and by no means compulsory.
Reply 62
K!&R@N
Oooh I reallly wish this was true!!! :eek3:

Its a ridiculous rumour. Its completely impossible and the person who made it up really needs to get a grip on reality, they can't just live their lives making up these imaginary scenarios, its just not how things WORK in the real world. I mean some people might believe them, and then they might start believing their own lies, and that's just bad for everyone.

Hogwarts is a secondary school.
Mithra

Good point :p:
Reply 64
They'll offer you custard creams AND chocolate bourbons with your tea/coffee. It's a test.

I say hedge your bets and take one of each.
Reply 65
They do discriminate against state school kids in my opinion
i had decent grades, lots of extra cirriculum great reference and what i perceived to be a well interview. yet i got rejected :frown:
im so academic
As you know, there are many rumours spread around here about Oxbridge, such as "you need straight A*s", "you must be nobel-prize winning" etc

So this is the thread to discuss if the "rumours" are false - or in rare cases true...

If you start stupid threads and are a complete and utter troll, they instantly let you in
Reply 67
andiroo
They'll offer you custard creams AND chocolate bourbons with your tea/coffee. It's a test.

I say hedge your bets and take one of each.

Separate the two pieces of both bourbon and custard cream, and re-attach them with an opposite pair, using the same model with the cream filling. Spatial and problem-solving skills shown, as well as an awareness of the importance of race relations.
I heard they make you behead a poor person and then drink their still warm blood, to prove your worth.

...only at Oxford mind you...
Reply 69
wazapee
i had decent grades, lots of extra cirriculum great reference and what i perceived to be a well interview. yet i got rejected :frown:

Shut up and stop feeling sorry like you have been victimized. I know many state kids who got an offer.
jgoggs1
Separate the two pieces of both bourbon and custard cream, and re-attach them with an opposite pair, using the same model with the cream filling. Spatial and problem-solving skills shown, as well as an awareness of the importance of race relations.

Demonstrating an awareness of race relations is an instant rejection at Oxford.
Reply 71
Studies show that State school students with the same A Level grades as independent students do better in their degree :p: but that is not specific to Oxbridge so you have to take into consideration all of the universities that give out Firsts like sweeties.
jgoggs1

hehehe, boy did i giggle...
Reply 73
DeanK2
Shut up and stop feeling sorry like you have been victimized. I know many state kids who got an offer.

50% of the Oxford applicants at our school got a place and we are state :yep: . But then again we only had 4 applicants...
Reply 74
wazapee

Your whole post serves as a perfect explanation of why you were undeserving of a place. Furthermore, all sorts of well-qualified candidates from many different types of school are rejected, including this incredibly bitter chap from Harrow.
wazapee

Did you attend the interview nekkid?
Reply 76
BJack
Your whole post serves as a perfect explanation of why you were undeserving of a place. Furthermore, all sorts of well-qualified candidates from many different types of school are rejected, including this incredibly bitter chap from Harrow.

:rofl: oh god thats brilliant.
BJack

Could it be that he failed the entrance exam?

Just a thought
Reply 78
Mithra
Its a ridiculous rumour. Its completely impossible and the person who made it up really needs to get a grip on reality, they can't just live their lives making up these imaginary scenarios, its just not how things WORK in the real world. I mean some people might believe them, and then they might start believing their own lies, and that's just bad for everyone.

No wait a minute:eek: you...you're a wizard and you're trying to manoeuvre us simple stupid muggles, but no...After reading the Harry Potter books I wont make the same mistake of believing you again.
The thing about them liking private school pupils is totally wrong. I go to a private school and because of university publicity I've always felt that I would be less likely to get in than a state school applicant. Not that that is a bad thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending