The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

Jesson has sicne admitted a lot of his work was incorrect.
Reply 61
Lord Huntroyde

YOu don't do detailed research only to revoke the findings. He was clearly under pressure from Pro-selectors.
Reply 62
Unregistered
The sad facts about grammar schools:
The pupils who go to them are a product of parents who are trying to capture some misguided illusion of grandeur through their children. These parents will scrimp and scrape putting their children through small private schools (not very expensive ones) with the promise of 'getting them through the 11+'. They then go back to the free state system of selective education. When did you ever see an upper class child go into grammar school? No, they continue to reap the benefits of public/independent system because lowley grammars are not good enough for them.
Now the child who, through cramming either in private primary or extra-curricular queuing at the dooor of the local tutor (usually a teacher trying to make a few extra quid) has managed to get a chair at a desk in said grammar. They are fed with propaganda telling them how privileged they are to be there and that they are the 'cream of society'. Consequently, they consider that they are better than their peers and strive to prove it on forums such as this.
It's a load of cobblers - the most able pupils are at non-selective schools. Day by day, they prove that despite everything negative they can still achieve as much, if not more that their grammar counterparts. One final observation that backs up my thesis - have you noticed how when people who went to grammars talk about their old schools they alway preface it with 'when I was at my grammar school'. They have some strange compulsion to add it this word 'grammar' as though it bestows them with some 'better than anybody else' prestige. B....cks!

You cannot dispute the fact that grammars are far and away the best performing state schools.
Reply 63
Lord Huntroyde

Not since this particular report he hasn't! And it has not been disproved by Kent.
Reply 64
Lord Huntroyde
You cannot dispute the fact that grammars are far and away the best performing state schools.

When we compare 'like with like' we can definitely disprove your opinion.
Reply 65
Bigcnee
YOu don't do detailed research only to revoke the findings. He was clearly under pressure from Pro-selectors.

After doing work for the government he submitted to pressures of a few head teachers? Jesson had been given adjusted results, relating to the difference between the standards achieved by pupils at 14 and 16. These results are obviously not the ones that students take with them into their careers.
Reply 66
Unregistered
When we compare 'like with like' we can definitely disprove your opinion.

like-with-like maybe, but the previous post suggested that grammars were not the best state schools, which they clearly are.
Reply 67
Lord Huntroyde
After doing work for the government he submitted to pressures of a few head teachers? Jesson had been given adjusted results, relating to the difference between the standards achieved by pupils at 14 and 16. These results are obviously not the ones that students take with them into their careers.

This government has a tendency to lean to the right - therefore they ignored much of his research he did for them as it didn't fit in with their efforts to keep on board the more right wing tnedencies of many of their voters.
As for students 'taking their results into their careers' are you saying that those not from grammars do not have equally or more impressive results. Careful in your answer - you risk alienating more of the forums posters if you persist with 'grammar is better' ideology!
Reply 68
Unregistered
This government has a tendency to lean to the right - therefore they ignored much of his research he did for them as it didn't fit in with their efforts to keep on board the more right wing tnedencies of many of their voters.
As for students 'taking their results into their careers' are you saying that those not from grammars do not have equally or more impressive results. Careful in your answer - you risk alienating more of the forums posters if you persist with 'grammar is better' ideology!

No, what I'm saying is adjusted results improves the average reults of comps. These are not the actual results that some of the students actually recieve.

Jesson actually published all of his work independantly as well, go the govt didn't hold any back.
Reply 69
Lord Huntroyde
No, what I'm saying is adjusted results improves the average reults of comps. These are not the actual results that some of the students actually recieve.

Jesson actually published all of his work independantly as well, go the govt didn't hold any back.

Cut the cr..p. Are you saying that grammars produce more able students than the schools that the majority of many gifted students on this forum go/went to?
Reply 70
Unregistered
Cut the cr..p. Are you saying that grammars produce more able students than the schools that the majority of many gifted students on this forum go/went to?

No, but grammars should be where many of the forumites should go, if we still had selection.
Reply 71
by the way what do people think of Diane Abbott MP 's decision to send her child to a private school when she is a labour mp who criticised blair and harriet harman for sending their children to STATE schools which were selective!
Reply 72
Lord Huntroyde
No, but grammars should be where many of the forumites should go, if we still had selection.

That's very arrogant to presume that many posters SHOULD go to grammars - we do have selection, but most would say it's totally unnecessary as we get just as good, if not a better education where we are. Also we are not 'up ourselves' about our schools but are intrinsically down to earth. You could do with getting 'back onto terra firma'!
Reply 73
Unregistered
That's very arrogant to presume that many posters SHOULD go to grammars - we do have selection, but most would say it's totally unnecessary as we get just as good, if not a better education where we are. Also we are not 'up ourselves' about our schools but are intrinsically down to earth. You could do with getting 'back onto terra firma'!

Not every area has a grammar in it. Many forumites are grammarites.
Reply 74
Tina
by the way what do people think of Diane Abbott MP 's decision to send her child to a private school when she is a labour mp who criticised blair and harriet harman for sending their children to STATE schools which were selective!

she is a plain hyposcrite its one thing to critise about other peoples kids but then doing it herself. But then on the other hand its her childs future would'nt every paret want the best for the children .
Reply 75
Lord Huntroyde
Not every area has a grammar in it. Many forumites are grammarites.

I can think of 3! Hardly many - tell me how many you can accurately number?
And can you drop the delusion of grandeur that grammar school has given you by choosing a more apt user name?
Reply 76
she criticised Harriet Harman for her childern's schoolojg, but hers went to a grammar, which is at least a state!
Reply 77
hotnanoo
she is a plain hyposcrite its one thing to critise about other peoples kids but then doing it herself. But then on the other hand its her childs future would'nt every paret want the best for the children .

i totally agree...i hope the parents in her constituency will show her they disapprove through their votes...u know she might lose her seat!
Reply 78
Unregistered
I can think of 3! Hardly many - tell me how many you can accurately number?
And can you drop the delusion of grandeur that grammar school has given you by choosing a more apt user name?

My user-name is only a nick name which developed out of this forum. I have never been told that I'm superior for going to a grammar nor do I think I am. I simply belive in full selection. As you believe in no selection.
Reply 79
Lord Huntroyde
she criticised Harriet Harman for her childern's schoolojg, but hers went to a grammar, which is at least a state!

exactly and i saw her on the programme on bbc 1 on thursday nights...she was totally unable to justify her actions and appeared to be a selfissh, hypocritical liar

Latest

Trending

Trending