The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I intend to remain saying "Two thousand and ten". "Twenty Ten" sounds a bit too authoritarian and eerie for my liking.
Reply 41
russiaismyvogue
cool ,so will there be different fashions and stuff like 1950's fashion compared with the Hippy era ?

Pass, I know bugger all about fashion.
Mad Vlad
It's such a naff term. Second only to "Information Superhighway" which takes the crown for the most cringeworthy term ever.

http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst;jsessionid=JcYcLDl37Z9Jnx7NhQZ3lT2tMWk2N0x0cz3h52TqGb9vXp3STsYL!523017387?docId=5001900310

http://benturner.com/theirs/infopocalypse.php

I sympathise.
Reply 43
russiaismyvogue
give me a break im drunk and tired

Fair enough. I'm not happy about this though.

generalebriety
Both are admitted into the OED. Don't be a prat.

Not in my bloody "OED" they aren't. What the hell could possibly suggest there should be an apostrophe in there?
Reply 44
:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: 2010
rogerbarton
Not in my bloody "OED" they aren't. What the hell could possibly suggest there should be an apostrophe in there?

[noparse]How do you want me to answer that? You're clinging to some childish concept that you probably learnt when you were 7 which tells you that apostrophes are only for omission of letters and possession. Guess what: that's not the whole story. Apostrophes are also legitimate, though optional, to pluralise non-standard words: acronyms ("GCSE's"), numbers ("12's", "the 1990's"), and so on. Just like they are in languages like Dutch and Turkish. Anyway, I'm not wasting my time giving someone like you an English lesson; if you want other people to be right, you'd better learn how to be right yourself. Go read up.[/noparse]
moneyballs2
Twenty Ten will sound nicer :smile:

Twenty Eleven

Twenty Twelve > Two Thousand and Twelve

:biggrin:

and that's where it ends.
Reply 47
generalebriety
[noparse]How do you want me to answer that? You're clinging to some childish concept that you probably learnt when you were 7 which tells you that apostrophes are only for omission of letters and possession. Guess what: that's not the whole story. Apostrophes are also legitimate, though optional, to pluralise non-standard words: acronyms ("GCSE's"), numbers ("12's", "the 1990's"), and so on. Just like they are in languages like Dutch and Turkish. Anyway, I'm not wasting my time giving someone like you an English lesson; if you want other people to be right, you'd better learn how to be right yourself. Go read up.[/noparse]

Not in my book, they're not. So give up the ghost, ey?
rogerbarton
Not in my book, they're not. So give up the ghost, ey?

I'm afraid your "book" disagrees with any serious grammar book ever written. So take your silly, ill-informed prescriptivism and go and enforce it upon someone else.
Reply 49
Tennies/Teenies
Reply 50
generalebriety
So take your silly, ill-informed prescriptivism and go and enforce it upon someone else.

With as little ass-kissing as possible intended, thats one of the best conclusions to an argument i've ever read.
Reply 51
Probably something stupid. This decade being referred to as the noughties is enough proof.
Reply 52
generalebriety

How is it like that in Turkish?? We don't use apostrophes for possession or omission. eg. Sebnemin kitabi = Sebnem's book.
Seksenler = The Eighties.
1980ler = 1980s.
Just to return to the point about what people will call the 2050s in 2090 or whatever...

they'll call them they 50s. Like we call the 1950s the 50s...and people 100 years ago would've called the 1850s the 50s, I assume, but when people say the 50s now they mean the 1950s.

And people will refer to 2010 as "twenty-ten" mostly, I think. Mostly due to "twenty twelve", which has stuck. Why we don't call this year twenty-oh-nine, I dunno...it would make more sense.

Have a good year everyone :smile:
I recommend the use of the word "tenties" and that is what I shall be referring to them as.
Interestingly enough, this problem has occurred before (several times) and each generation passed through it, relatively unscathed by the experience.
The Decade of Depression?
ebayqueen
How is it like that in Turkish?? We don't use apostrophes for possession or omission. eg. Sebnemin kitabi = Sebnem's book.
Seksenler = The Eighties.
1980ler = 1980s.

You do use them to add suffixes to proper nouns: "London'da", etc. In fact, a lot of people would say you should be spelling it "Sebnem'in kitabi" (and possibly "1980'ler", but I'm not certain of that).
Reply 58
generalebriety
You do use them to add suffixes to proper nouns: "London'da", etc. In fact, a lot of people would say you should be spelling it "Sebnem'in kitabi" (and possibly "1980'ler", but I'm not certain of that).

Lol London'da??

Who says London'da?

It's Londra'da.

Even if they're supposed to be used, they seldom are. No one writes 80'ler.
ebayqueen
Lol London'da??

Who says London'da?

It's Londra'da.

Even if they're supposed to be used, they seldom are. No one writes 80'ler.

Congratulations; you pointed out that I'm not a native Turkish speaker, and yet still proved my point by putting in the apostrophe. Now go away. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending