The Student Room Group

How can I self-teach AS Chemistry?

What are the feasible ways to self-teach AS Chemistry, if I want to sit the exam(s) etc.

Are all the registration processes done online?
Do I have to participate in practicals, or are there coursework papers I could do instead?

Any other information about self-teaching AS Chemistry?

Thanks in advance.

(Why am I interested? Recently had ideas about doing a GEP in medicine later on in my life, and an A-level in Chemistry is advantageous).
Reply 1
if I were you I'd probably ask the teachers at your old school if they have any material (revision sheets, booklets with answer sheets, textbooks you can borrow) for you... wrt the syllabus, as long as you are genuinely interested in chemistry you should be able to teach yourself all the relevant information from looking up the curriculum, going to the library and googling topics to understand them - and then using pastpapers and markschemes to get the correct wording and the such... although chemistry is probably the hardest subject that you could teach yourself!!

I think you have to participate in practicals on all boards, so you'll probably be better off finding a college or a school that would let you conduct the exams there. as for registration, no idea i'm afraid! good luck
Reply 2
You will definitely need to do practicals and so it'll be a good idea to try to do that in a school or college, I suppose you could blag your way without one but you'd be making your life a lot harder than it already is. Otherwise just learn from textbook and do past papers.
hah, my teacher writes the exam.
Get a revision book, and learn the thing off by heart.
Do the practise exam papers.
Tech
if I were you I'd probably ask the teachers at your old school if they have any material (revision sheets, booklets with answer sheets, textbooks you can borrow) for you... wrt the syllabus, as long as you are genuinely interested in chemistry you should be able to teach yourself all the relevant information from looking up the curriculum, going to the library and googling topics to understand them - and then using pastpapers and markschemes to get the correct wording and the such... although chemistry is probably the hardest subject that you could teach yourself!!

I think you have to participate in practicals on all boards, so you'll probably be better off finding a college or a school that would let you conduct the exams there. as for registration, no idea i'm afraid! good luck

Alright thanks. FYI, i'm doing the IB syllabus, so my school has nothing on A-levels (although, they may have some old A-level textbooks from decades ago..). Have people actually self-taught chemistry during university, and scored well?
Reply 5
You have to register through an authorized centre to give the exam.

For the practicals, you have to ask your teacher, each school does it differently.

you may want to get hold of a good book that gives detailed explanations through which you may clear any doubts you might have while studying & practice a lot of past papers.

Latest