The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
geoff_yin
Yeah not too bad thanks. I've got one exam out of the way which was the most important of the five I'm taking, and that went pretty well. I've got one in about four hours - just need to read through my notes. Hopefully I'll be OK.

How about you?

Alex - Professor Eaves does the module now, are you sure you're not getting mixed up with maxwell's equations(basically what the whole module is about)?:p:

Revision was going OK until I started revising for this module. Fair enough, I didn't go to any lectures and I only started learning 2 weeks ago, but that's what I always do and it usually turns out OK. Looks like I've finally met my match. The only thing that's annoying now is that I've done nothing but electromagnetism for 2 weeks and have completely forgotten the stuff for my other modules which are on Saturday and Monday too. And I'm still going to fail this bloody exam. ****.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Barny
Alex - Professor Eaves does the module now, are you sure you're not getting mixed up with maxwell's equations(basically what the whole module is about)?:p:

Revision was going OK until I started revising for this module. Fair enough, I didn't go to any lectures and I only started learning 2 weeks ago, but that's what I always do and it usually turns out OK. Looks like I've finally met my match. The only thing that's annoying now is that I've done nothing but electromagnetism for 2 weeks and have completely forgotten the stuff for my other modules which are on Saturday and Monday too. And I'm still going to fail this bloody exam. ****.

Dr Maxwell - irish, beard (but definitely not Moriarty) won't let you come into B1 the front way if you're late (unless you're a girl)... no? Perhaps he's retired - he doesn't appear to be on the staff list on the physics website. One of his trademarks was using the chalk & talk teaching method (which in principle I prefer over powerpoint) however he refused to put any notes on the web or to provide any handouts, so I had a very much incomplete set of notes to revise from (I did borrow some off a mate, but never really got round to reading/using/copying them). I went to maybe 20% of the lectures (and that's being generous), and hardly any towards the end, and didn't bother revising until the day before... which didn't help very much. I also didn't bother looking at any past papers - I had got a bit bored of physics by then. I took the 2005/06 paper, went to the exam, didn't leave until the end, wrote very little, and got an impressive score of 0% (and no, that's not a typo). So, console yourself that you can't physically get anything less than me!! (Now I'm 3rd year Computer Science on a 2:1 - I thought I ought to put a little effort into this course!)
Reply 22
alex-hs
Dr Maxwell - irish, beard (but definitely not Moriarty) won't let you come into B1 the front way if you're late (unless you're a girl)... no? Perhaps he's retired - he doesn't appear to be on the staff list on the physics website. One of his trademarks was using the chalk & talk teaching method (which in principle I prefer over powerpoint) however he refused to put any notes on the web or to provide any handouts, so I had a very much incomplete set of notes to revise from (I did borrow some off a mate, but never really got round to reading/using/copying them). I went to maybe 20% of the lectures (and that's being generous), and hardly any towards the end, and didn't bother revising until the day before... which didn't help very much. I also didn't bother looking at any past papers - I had got a bit bored of physics by then. I took the 2005/06 paper, went to the exam, didn't leave until the end, wrote very little, and got an impressive score of 0% (and no, that's not a typo). So, console yourself that you can't physically get anything less than me!! (Now I'm 3rd year Computer Science on a 2:1 - I thought I ought to put a little effort into this course!)

Oh so you switched to Comp Sci after Physics then? Or was that Physics module a subsid?
Reply 23
geoff_yin
Oh so you switched to Comp Sci after Physics then? Or was that Physics module a subsid?

I switched partially because of failing that module. And failing another module, and generally performing quite poorly in my second year January exams. So yes, the first one. :smile:
Reply 24
alex-hs
I switched partially because of failing that module. And failing another module, and generally performing quite poorly in my second year January exams. So yes, the first one. :smile:

Fair enough. I failed my first year Mech Eng course at Bristol. Took a year out and came to Notts for Economics.

Even though I'm still not doing great acedemically, it's still a lot better than when I was at Bristol!
Reply 25
Hey, I failed Maths at York and then came to Notts. Seems like were all a bunch of losers haha.

Alex - getting 0% when you actually sat down and took the exam is a good effort, though if the questions go against me there is a real possibility that I'll also get 0 tomorrow.
Reply 26
Barny
Hey, I failed Maths at York and then came to Notts. Seems like were all a bunch of losers haha.

Alex - getting 0% when you actually sat down and took the exam is a good effort, though if the questions go against me there is a real possibility that I'll also get 0 tomorrow.

I got 1% in Structure of Stars in the same week :p:
That paper was marked out of 45, so I must have only got half a mark :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Barny

Hah! You're right there! Hopefully the three of us will be able to see it through to the end!!! :horse:
Reply 28
alex-hs
I got 1% in Structure of Stars in the same week :p:
That paper was marked out of 45, so I must have only got half a mark :s-smilie:

Oh man, you should have asked to see your script to find out where that half a mark came from :p: Luckily I don't take that module, but I'm not terrified of Quantum Physics in the summer as well as Optics and Bowley's Statistical Mechanics. You know what he's like when it comes to setting ridiculous exam papers..Absolutely bricking it now, 13 hours left and I still wouldn't pass if I took it right now :p: I'm looking on the bright side of things now though, it's only worth 3.3% of my degree and I can still get honours when I fail it. Brilliant.
Reply 29
Barny
Oh man, you should have asked to see your script to find out where that half a mark came from :p: Luckily I don't take that module, but I'm not terrified of Quantum Physics in the summer as well as Optics and Bowley's Statistical Mechanics. You know what he's like when it comes to setting ridiculous exam papers..Absolutely bricking it now, 13 hours left and I still wouldn't pass if I took it right now :p: I'm looking on the bright side of things now though, it's only worth 3.3% of my degree and I can still get honours when I fail it. Brilliant.

I really pissed off one of my mates (who graduated with a high 2:1) by passing the optics threshold test when he failed it... that made my day. Bowley might have set hard as hell exams, but it was worth it just to go to his lectures - some of the things he came out with were class! Is Quantum still taught by Fromhold and Horsewilly?

Latest

Trending

Trending