The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally i like the challenges of the further pure maths A2 (P6 and P7 on AQA spec B) but i cant stand the Futher mechanics (M6) even though i find the mechanics in normal maths alright!
Reply 2
I'm just finishing my final module (P6) and have found it the most interesting content that i have covered so far.

P7 on AQA spec B)

You have a P7? What content is there on that?
Reply 3
yeah pure modules (esp P6) are really interesting
Reply 4
well for me i like mechanics, coz mechamics is USING pure, so mechanics use pure as a tool.
and mechanics is more "real" than pure, it's more toutchable things.
i'm only taking pure and mechanics so i cant say if i like or dislike statistics or decision maths, but till now i find p5 and m5 are the hardest and boring units!
Reply 5
I've not done amy mechanics yet, for some unknown reason they're saving M1, M2 and M3 until year 13 for us. But I enjoy pure maths, it's interesting and its more 'neat' than statistics or deision/discrete maths. I dislike Statistics because its too much putting numbers into formulae and number crunching, though probability isn't too bad I guess. And I don't like Decision maths because I just generally think its weird. Pure maths just 'feels' better, if that makes any sense.
Reply 6
Stats!
Reply 7
Stats sucks mucho arsio!! Pure and mechanics all the way, baby!!! :wink:
Reply 8
Gaz031

You have a P7? What content is there on that?

Matrix Determinates
Roots of Cubic Equations
Group Theory
Further Vectors*
Linear Equations*
Coordinate Geometry*
Loci of Complex Numbers
Polar Coordinates
Calculus and Series*

*dont ask me about those, we've still got them to do
Reply 9
My favourite pure module is definitely Pure 6 - my fave mechs mod is M5 and my fave stats mod is S5 - it seems all the mods seem to get more interesting as they go on.

I used to hate stats - didn't seem like proper maths; all number crunching etc, but it gets lots more *purey* and less computational.
Reply 10
Stats and decision = good
Pure and mechanics = bad
Reply 11
Yea, i'm so glad i ahvent had to do any statistics since GCSE. I HATE STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY!!! :mad:

(dont hurt me statistians(spl?))
Reply 12
Taldarion
Matrix Determinates
Roots of Cubic Equations
Group Theory
Further Vectors*
Linear Equations*
Coordinate Geometry*
Loci of Complex Numbers
Polar Coordinates
Calculus and Series*

Thanks for listing them. Some of those are in other books for us. Group theory isn't covered by Edexcel though and roots of cubics doesn't really get a formal going over.
Reply 13
Taldarion
Yea, i'm so glad i ahvent had to do any statistics since GCSE. I HATE STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY!!! :mad:

(dont hurt me statistians(spl?))

i'm also glad that i didnt have to do any stats. too, coz a small mistake will make u lose all the question! besides it's all BORING , all NUMBERS< u get missed up and u cant know what to do with like a million numbers!
Definately pure (P1-6). I used to like mechanics better, but since doing further maths have really taken to all the more challenging pure things. Just seems more rewarding when it all works out some how, hehe :biggrin: I particularly like multi-variable calculus (P6) and proof by induction (P4) atm but also all the stuff on matrices and vectors which comes into various modules from P3-6 methinks.
Taldarion
Matrix Determinates
Roots of Cubic Equations
Group Theory
Further Vectors*
Linear Equations*
Coordinate Geometry*
Loci of Complex Numbers
Polar Coordinates
Calculus and Series*

Cool, that sounds really interesting, particularly group theory and calculus and series. Wish MEI had a P7, hehe. Would mean I could avoid even more of the dreaded stats.
Reply 16
I wish edexcel had a P7 too - or 'FP4' as it'd be called on my spec with the C-modules and FP-modules. Statistics and Discrete are so depressing :frown: - still now I've finished S1 it's all good. No more statistics for me. Ever :biggrin:. (until some evil maths course at uni has me doing stats again :frown:) - hopefully Mechanics is going to be good when we start that :smile:
Reply 17
Whatever I'm doing now!

Nothing worse than forcing yourself to retread the steps which were exciting when first trod just to get a good grade...

Aitch
what are the c1/c2 and fp1 modules?
Reply 19
magiccarpet
what are the c1/c2 and fp1 modules?

C1-C4 are new specification ,they were p1 2 3,
p4-p6 became Fp1 2 3
( edexcel )

Latest