The Student Room Group

Balliol Open Day

I'm going to the Balliol open day next Thursday and have been scouring the internet for almost and
hour and still I have not found the price of a return ticket from London!!!!!! Anyways do any of you
have a clue how much it costs I think it is quite cheap but just need to make sure.

On a more serious note how is Balliol anyway I know Mark Thakkar goes there and know the basic
background--- Effortless Superiority , Feud with Trinity and relaxed atmosphere (what ever that
exactly means). I have read the profiles on Oxbridge-info there are only two or three though with
most of them pretty useless except Mark's. I am hoping to apply for History and Politics.

Thanks for any views
Reply 1
"johnndege141" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I'm going to the Balliol open day next Thursday and have been scouring the internet for almost and[/q1]
[q1]> hour and still I have not found the price of a return ticket from London!!!!!![/q1]

do you mean train fare?

if so try www.thetrainline.com
Reply 2
"johnndege141" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I'm going to the Balliol open day next Thursday and have been scouring the internet for almost and[/q1]
[q1]> hour and still I have not found the price of a return ticket from London!!!!!! Anyways do any of[/q1]
[q1]> you have a clue how much it costs I think it is quite cheap but just need to make sure.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

You're right in that it's not excessively expensive.... don't think you'll find out on the net as
it's one of those 'regional' type journeys rather than a national one.

[q1]> On a more serious note how is Balliol[/q1]

Not as good as Trinity ;-)

RG
Reply 3
Oh, and you might want to consider getting a YP railcard if you don't already have one. A quick
guesstimate for the price of a return (same day) ticket from paddington to oxford.... *absolute* max
of £25... i would hope!
Reply 4
"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "johnndege141" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > I'm going to the Balliol open day next Thursday and have been scouring[/q2]
the
[q2]> > internet for almost and hour and still I have not found the price of a return ticket from[/q2]
[q2]> > London!!!!!![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> do you mean train fare?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> if so try www.thetrainline.com[/q1]

if you use www.qjump.co.uk then you don't have to register unless you want to buy the ticket online.
(and its also faster) By rail I think its about £15 (no railcard) if you don't travel too early. If
you arrive sometime before around 9am then its about £30 // from memory - don't quote me on it.

HTH

Peter
Reply 5
"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "johnndege141" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > I'm going to the Balliol open day next Thursday and have been scouring[/q2]
the
[q2]> > internet for almost and hour and still I have not found the price of a return ticket from[/q2]
[q2]> > London!!!!!![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> do you mean train fare?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> if so try www.thetrainline.com[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Trains are not safe. You never know when a crash is likely to occur.
Reply 6
Peter Lloyd wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > "johnndege141" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]> > news:[email protected]...[/q2]
[q3]> > > I'm going to the Balliol open day next Thursday and have been scouring[/q3]
[q1]> the[/q1]
[q3]> > > internet for almost and hour and still I have not found the price of a return ticket from[/q3]
[q3]> > > London!!!!!![/q3]

coach from london-oxford costs £9.00 return, goes every 15-20 minutes, takes 1 hour 40 minutes,
leaves from London Victoria and other places between there and the M40. Pay the driver on boarding.

http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/london.html http://www.stagecoach-oxford.co.uk/oxfordtube/timetables.html

Nora
Reply 7
"N Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

[q1]> coach from london-oxford costs £9.00 return, goes every 15-20 minutes, takes 1 hour 40 minutes,[/q1]
[q1]> leaves from London Victoria and other places between there and the M40. Pay the driver on[/q1]
[q1]> boarding.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/london.html[/q1]
[q1]> http://www.stagecoach-oxford.co.uk/oxfordtube/timetables.html[/q1]

Yes, this is definitely the way to go, I reckon. It's quite a pleasant journey and deposits you
right in the centre of Oxford, by Queen's College or Gloucester Green bus station, IIRC.

Becky

Latest