The Student Room Group

State School Quotas??

Have universities actually started positive discrimination in favour of state schools this year?? I only ask because this year, my school has had an unusually small oxbridge intake, and has been quite unsuccessful at some other good universities, and there has been a similar trend among my friends from other private schools. Moreover, I know some people from state schols that were far less qualified than some of my classmates, yet they got offers instead. I'm not starting some snobbish rant... I just want to know whether anybody else has noticed this too.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Other way round for my state school, the 2008 entry was the first year it got below 40 people into Oxbridge for the last 8 or 9 years.
ahh ok, maybe they're just widedning intake? That seems like a pretty elite state school!
Reply 3
Jeeeeeez that's a lot for a state school!! I was wondering about state school quotas too, I go to a 'rough' state school and we get all sorts of crappy stuff because of it. Really pissed me off I know someone who lives in a nice house, parents have really good jobs and has never suffered in his life who got into medicine on lesser grades because of the school he goes to. I had to fill out this form and it had loads of options for ways in which you were 'disadvantaged'. I swear if I said I was a crackhead I would get a place easier than on my (very high) grades. If I got rejected for someone less competant I would be raging!!! All for proper help for people that actually need it but it's a joke nowadays.
Reply 4
Why should one type of school be more preferential than another? State schools' pupils should have equal chance, but, unfortunately that isn't the case for the vast majority.
Reply 5
its a bit of a strange position really, do you completely neglect which school/college an applicant went to (somehow I doubt Oxbridge would - those poor eton students), or should you take into account that some state schools will obviously have a lower standard of education so a candidate is less likely to reach their full potential.

a difficult one indeed.
Reply 6
I found that everyone who applied for Oxbridge at my state school got an interview, but it looks like no one has received an offer. I was surprised by some interviews (some didn't even meet the entry requirements - wrong subjects, lack of a 4th AS, average grades etc)
worthers
I found that everyone who applied for Oxbridge at my state school got an interview, but it looks like no one has received an offer. I was surprised by some interviews (some didn't even meet the entry requirements - wrong subjects, lack of a 4th AS, average grades etc)

I think Oxford has changed the way in which applications are looked at. From the way I understand it, if you are applying from what is considered to be a poor state school, they are supposed to interview you unless they have a very good reason not to.

:smile:
It's right that they put exam results into context based upon the school someone went to - although it is down to the pupil to some extent, some schools are absolutely horrific in the amount of bullying etc which goes on, so it would be completely unfair to compare them directly to someone who went to a "good" school.
Solid_Snake_100
Have universities actually started positive discrimination in favour of state schools this year?? I only ask because this year, my school has had an unusually small oxbridge intake, and has been quite unsuccessful at some other good universities, and there has been a similar trend among my friends from other private schools. Moreover, I know some people from state schols that were far less qualified than some of my classmates, yet they got offers instead. I'm not starting some snobbish rant... I just want to know whether anybody else has noticed this too.

If these university places you mention require interviews maybe that had an effect, however at my state school one of my friends was rejected from Imperial for engineering with great grades and they actually said it was to do with her working class accent! This isn't representative of the whole university admissions process but I was shocked as they said it to the head of year who asked for feedback. :eek:
thewrong_girl
If these university places you mention require interviews maybe that had an effect, however at my state school one of my friends was rejected from Imperial for engineering with great grades and they actually said it was to do with her working class accent! This isn't representative of the whole university admissions process but I was shocked as they said it to the head of year who asked for feedback. :eek:

Are you absolutely sure that really happened? If it did happen, your school should be appealing on behalf of your friend :s-smilie:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you absolutely sure that really happened? If it did happen, your school should be appealing on behalf of your friend :s-smilie:

It did happen however she doesn't want to go anymore (if they're like that at the interview then why go for the whole degree) and so is waiting to hear from Cambridge before she acts. :smile: I realise the whole thing sounds false and I obviously can't put any proof online as it isn't mine so you'll have to trust or ignore me. Also it wasn't just said to the friend but officially to the school so it isn't just her sour grapes.
Reply 12
well they still arent meeting their quotas anyway...

i agree that people should have an equal opportunity for getting into the top unis but if it means letting in less qualified/competent people then thats stupid as the workforce and professionals in the country will suffer
Reply 13
thewrong_girl
It did happen however she doesn't want to go anymore (if they're like that at the interview then why go for the whole degree) and so is waiting to hear from Cambridge before she acts. :smile: I realise the whole thing sounds false and I obviously can't put any proof online as it isn't mine so you'll have to trust or ignore me. Also it wasn't just said to the friend but officially to the school so it isn't just her sour grapes.

That is really quite harsh!
Audax
That is really quite harsh!

I know seems a bit much but hey what are you going to do?
Reply 15
Cheryl*
well they still arent meeting their quotas anyway...

i agree that people should have an equal opportunity for getting into the top unis but if it means letting in less qualified/competent people then thats stupid as the workforce and professionals in the country will suffer

I don't think you understand; perfectly reasonable candidates from a few years above me in high school applied to Oxbridge and didn't even get an interview. I am aware of at least one girl who gained 10 A*s and 3 As at GCSE, 5 As at AS and was then predicted 5 As for A2, but she didn't even get an interview! :eek:

It was either because of the school we went to or maybe it was just the fact that her personal statement was poor - however, given that I've read her reportings in the school newspaper, I highly doubt it was that to fault. And that is why the "country [will] suffer" - not because they are accepting bad candidates but because they are refusing perfectly good ones.
Reply 16
Audax
I don't think you understand; perfectly reasonable candidates from a few years above me in high school applied to Oxbridge and didn't even get an interview. I am aware of at least one girl who gained 10 A*s and 3 As at GCSE, 5 As at AS and was then predicted 5 As for A2, but she didn't even get an interview! :eek:

It was either because of the school we went to or maybe it was just the fact that her personal statement was poor - however, given that I've read her reportings in the school newspaper, I highly doubt it was that to fault. And that is why the "country [will] suffer" - not because they are accepting bad candidates but because they are refusing perfectly good ones.

im in no way saying that this is the case for all people that go to state schools and i wont deny that a large amount of them have been turned away because they went to a state school. I was only pointing out the fact that these quotas are stupid, as the universities should not be biased in the first place and to stop appearing being biased they should not hide it by interviewing and accepting hopeless applicants just to try and fill their quotas
Reply 17
last year my school had 42 or 43 oxbridge offers. This year, with everyone I've spoken to, we're on about 14. Lots and lots of Cambridge pools. Grammar school by the way.
Reply 18
OP. Tory. Privately Educated. Moaning about how the lower classes get it easy.

Stereotype much...
Reply 19
thewrong_girl

I'd imagine they said something along the lines of "She doesn't sound enthusiastic/ like she wants it enough/ able to cope with the course", and were misinterpreted as refering to her accent rather than to her as a potential student. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending