The Student Room Group

Mistakenly Marked as Foreign Student?? (Queens')

Ahrgh someone help. I've got an offer from Queens' (yeyey), but it says;

'From the information provided on your application forms we have assessed you as an 'Overseas' student for fees purposes, and the offer of a place has been made to you on that basis'.

Now, as far as I can tell, there absolutely nowhere on my SAQ or UCAS form where I have indicated I've ever lived anywhere other than the UK..? It seems to be a mistake on their behalf.

But what I'm most worried about is whether or not they can withdraw my offer... is that allowed??

Scroll to see replies

Putting two and two together from other threads, I'm willing to speculate that this particular college has messed up its mail merge and said the same thing to several other UK-based candidates. You need to clarify it as soon as possible though.
Reply 2
To the best of my knowledge there is no quota system as such in Cambridge. So it is question of just sorting out the paper work or filling additional form. I know somebody had the same issue but it was for Imperial college. It did not effect the offer. Call the college on Monday - Relax and enjoy your offer.
Reply 3
I received the exact same thing from Queens and don't know what to do. I tried to phone them but couldn't get through to the admissions office. The guy I spoke to said i was the 3rd person to call with the same issue.

What was your offer for? Mine was for maths.

Do you think they could have sent completely the wrong letters out?? :confused:
Reply 4
More people with similar problems more reasons for less worrying :biggrin:
College has obviously made error in printing the letter. You can imagine the work load they have through the holiday period. :smile: So relax guys and enjoy your offer. :woo:
It says 'for fees purposes' so maybe some other criteria to do with the payment of your fees matches that of oversea students?
Reply 6
I think it's just the letters... from what's been said above they could've messed up on mail merge.

I'm maths at Queens' too... I'm guessing everyone has it. Looks like a non-consequential mess up though; congratulations! :biggrin:

BTW, which number am I supposed to phone?
Reply 7
I also have the problem for Phys NatSci at Queens'. They've messed something up.
As long as it's not the fact that we've got an offer I don't mind! It will be fixed I'm sure...

I can't afford those fees at any rate!
Reply 8
an offer has been made to you on the basis you're a 'foreign student'?! thats mad!

you need to contact the universities affected as soon as possible..
Reply 9
It's hard to enjoy the offer tbh! All I can think of is the possibility that it's not an offer and they've sent me the wrong letter or something!
ohh, never mind my comment:p:
Reply 11
Nick08
It's hard to enjoy the offer tbh! All I can think of is the possibility that it's not an offer and they've sent me the wrong letter or something!

You have an offer in writing - so if they made a mistake - thier problem - they need to find a place for you. Fees - all you need to prove that you are UK resident - and the problem is solved. So do not worry - JUST CELEBRATE. :woo:
rnshan
You have an offer in writing - so if they made a mistake - thier problem - they need to find a place for you. Fees - all you need to prove that you are UK resident - and the problem is solved. So do not worry - JUST CELEBRATE. :woo:

While it is true to say that, in this case, the college appears to have made a mistake which will be rectified in a straightforward manner, you appear to be missing the point that the offer was made conditional on the applicant being a foreign student. If it proves that the college really did think this was the case (rather than it being a case of mail merge error) the situation may not be as optimistic as you seem to think.
Reply 13
Good bloke
While it is true to say that, in this case, the college appears to have made a mistake which will be rectified in a straightforward manner, you appear to be missing the point that the offer was made conditional on the applicant being a foreign student. If it proves that the college really did think this was the case (rather than it being a case of mail merge error) the situation may not be as optimistic as you seem to think.

Agreed - but the ball is in applicant's court. The worst case is international fees - I mean the worst case. For me the offer is still ON. This is how I look at it.
Reply 14
:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. I've applied to Queens'.

Oh well I probably won't need to worry as I'm waiting on my rejection. :p:

OP I hope things work out for you!
Reply 15
I applied for Maths at Queens', and got an offer :biggrin: But I also have been wrongly identified as an overseas student. Sure they'll sort it out no problem. Like everybody else, I was fully prepared for rejection!
Reply 16
rnshan
Agreed - but the ball is in applicant's court. The worst case is international fees - I mean the worst case. For me the offer is still ON. This is how I look at it.

That is true, but international fees are expensive and those classed as such aren't eligible for some (not sure if it's 'all') loans AFAIK and bursaries aren't a guarantee so it would be freakishly expensive, which some Home students may not be able to afford, which is almost just as well as a rejection.

To OP: Institutions can retract/change offers if one who was thought to be an international turned out to be Home, but it appears to be a mass mistake so you should be fine. Good luck! :biggrin:
Xei
BTW, which number am I supposed to phone?

The admissions secretary's.
Reply 18
The "International Student" paragraph is in my son's acceptance letter too. I looked on here to see if he was the only one, it seems not, but has it been put in everyone's? as some people don't seem to mention it even?

I was really concerned as I am a single parent and my eldest is on a full maintenance grant and a bursary, so the payment option is just unthinkable (and he is British and lived in England all his life!).

So I am just praying it is some horrible mail-merge mistake and that someone at Queens' appreciates how upsetting it is and sends out another letter in the very near future.

Congratulations to all of you!
mother
The "International Student" paragraph is in my son's acceptance letter too. I looked on here to see if he was the only one, it seems not, but has it been put in everyone's? as some people don't seem to mention it even?

I was really concerned as I am a single parent and my eldest is on a full maintenance grant and a bursary, so the payment option is just unthinkable (and he is British and lived in England all his life!).

So I am just praying it is some horrible mail-merge mistake and that someone at Queens' appreciates how upsetting it is and sends out another letter in the very near future.

Congratulations to all of you!

Don't worry, you'll be able to clear this up tomorrow morning with a simple phone call, I'm sure. It has affected too many people for it to be deliberate.

Latest

Trending

Trending