The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yasmin18
so definately no email for EU students?

(last time I got a letter from england, it arrived 10 days!!! after it was stamped in england)

You should be able to ring Cambridge on 5th January. :smile:
Reply 61
Yasmin18
so definately no email for EU students?

(last time I got a letter from england, it arrived 10 days!!! after it was stamped in england)

You can probably email them on the 2nd/3rd and ask if they would tell you via email - some would, though it might be on the fifth (:

One of my letters from another UK choice took a detour to Zurich, ended up with some "Airmail 'SR'" stamp on it, and finally U-turned back to the US. Post is pretty rubbish really :biggrin:
Reply 62
Agneisse
You can probably email them on the 2nd/3rd and ask if they would tell you via email - some would, though it might be on the fifth (:

One of my letters from another UK choice took a detour to Zurich, ended up with some "Airmail 'SR'" stamp on it, and finally U-turned back to the US. Post is pretty rubbish really :biggrin:

oh gosh :biggrin: that must have been nerve-wracking to wait for that letter lol

I think Id prefer e-mail :p: hearing on phone that you'd been rejected would be much worse than just reading it I guess...
I cant imagine how excited and anxious and nervous Id be before dialing the number, so Ill probably do this email version :biggrin:
Reply 63
Yasmin18
oh gosh :biggrin: that must have been nerve-wracking to wait for that letter lol

I think Id prefer e-mail :p: hearing on phone that you'd been rejected would be much worse than just reading it I guess...
I cant imagine how excited and anxious and nervous Id be before dialing the number, so Ill probably do this email version :biggrin:

Not really :p: I already had an offer on Track and they spoiled it for me by telling me that it contained "information about accommodation" (which was really boring anyway xD), besides an earlier letter from another choice stopped by Malta so it wasn't too surprising. Just nice storytelling material on TSR :biggrin: Though I liked how the Swiss put 'Priority' on my letter :yep:

But wouldn't writing that email give similar emotions, and especially checking email or actually clicking to open said email? :p: Ahh scary thoughts :s-smilie:
Yasmin18

I actually think I prefer to hear on the phone, because I'm not sure I'd be able to force myself to open the email!
Reply 65
:s-smilie: oh god...I was hoping for pooling but now...it's a rejection...gosh. :P

fromt that document, I get the image of an auction where colleges can bid on pooled applicants :p: that would be something.
Reply 66
Woah, 7A*s and 90% at AS really gets you pooled automatically?

Well, that's certainly a little less pressure... at least I can't get an outright rejection on the 3rd.

Weird they don't tell us this stuff though.
Reply 67
Xei
Woah, 7A*s and 90% at AS really gets you pooled automatically?

Well, that's certainly a little less pressure... at least I can't get an outright rejection on the 3rd.

Weird they don't tell us this stuff though.

90% in three most relevant/best subjects, and under a certain pooling category unless you were better. Plus they do tell you this indirectly as it's on a publicly available document (admissions handbook), we're just nosy people xD
Reply 68
Do some colleges send emails as well as letters?
Reply 69
About how long will they take to make a decision if you're pooled on 3 January? I think the pooling process will just prolong the most probable and painful forthcoming rejection for me.
Reply 70
why don't they just send emails? isn't it safer than post? they contacted us about the SAQ through emails anyway.
and it's not like they won't post you ANOTHER letter with more details about your offer/pool later
Reply 71
Agneisse

My UCL letter came from Zurich (that one took more than 2 weeks to arrive), my Durham/St. Cuth's letter from New Zealand. And Germany isn't even that far from the UK!
Reply 72
frederizia
My UCL letter came from Zurich (that one took more than 2 weeks to arrive), my Durham/St. Cuth's letter from New Zealand. And Germany isn't even that far from the UK!

Ditto for (one of my) UCL letters, Zurich stamps! :five: What was most ironic is that the 'USA' part of my address had failed to print and some UCL person added it in pen. Evidently that didn't work too well :p: My Durham (Castle) stopped by Malta.

I suspected that it was because of a mixup over my town (named after a major European city), but now I think it might be a British uni thing...Seeing as we have offers, would it be too ridiculous to email someone at those unis and ask if it is a particular policy of theirs to send letters from such seemingly random places? :p:
Reply 73
Well, I doubt they'd revoke the offer :wink:. I'd really like to know. I mean, I'd understand using a place like the US or China or whatever for international students (well, it'd still make more sense to just send it straight from the UK..) but why for EU students as well? And New Zealand? (Or Malta for that matter)
My Dad was bloody confused when he saw the UCL letter. He thought I applied to some Uni in Switzerland without telling him and my mother (I didn't exactly tell them about my Durham and UCL applications for a few weeks so I'm not surprised that he's suspicious).
Reply 74
frederizia
Well, I doubt they'd revoke the offer :wink:. I'd really like to know. I mean, I'd understand using a place like the US or China or whatever for international students (well, it'd still make more sense to just send it straight from the UK..) but why for EU students as well? And New Zealand? (Or Malta for that matter)
My Dad was bloody confused when he saw the UCL letter. He thought I applied to some Uni in Switzerland without telling him and my mother (I didn't exactly tell them about my Durham and UCL applications for a few weeks so I'm not surprised that he's suspicious).

US mail, which epitomises the phrase 'snail mail'? I much prefer Royal Mail, even if they have to take a detour to Central Europe thankyouverymuch :biggrin: I can understand if say UCL had a mail distribution centre in India (like what they do with call centres) but NZ and Malta are really random and illogical.

I've always been the one to fetch and sort the mail, so some trouble saved there :biggrin: Thankfully my parents didn't see the Malta envelope; I doubt they have heard much about Malta at all, or even know which continent it is in...:p:

Now to compose that email in standard superformal eager applicant fashion...
"Dear [Admissions],
Thank you very much for making me an offer to [uni] to study [course]. I was delighted to receive the accommodation information in the mail today. The envelope was marked by Malta Post, and I was wondering if it is standard practice for [uni] to send international letters from Malta?
Regards,
Nosy applicant offer holder" :p:
Agneisse
Ditto for (one of my) UCL letters, Zurich stamps! :five: What was most ironic is that the 'USA' part of my address had failed to print and some UCL person added it in pen. Evidently that didn't work too well :p: My Durham (Castle) stopped by Malta.

I suspected that it was because of a mixup over my town (named after a major European city), but now I think it might be a British uni thing...Seeing as we have offers, would it be too ridiculous to email someone at those unis and ask if it is a particular policy of theirs to send letters from such seemingly random places? :p:

None of that has ever happened to my letters! They've always come straight here! Man, I want a Zurich stamp!

Maybe it's because I've gotten a lot of international post; Royal Mail must recognise my name. :p:
Reply 76
Rainfaery
None of that has ever happened to my letters! They've always come straight here! Man, I want a Zurich stamp!

Maybe it's because I've gotten a lot of international post; Royal Mail must recognise my name. :p:

Scene in a UK mail-sorting facility:
Postie 1: Boo, a new sack of letters.
Postie 2: Lets' send all of them to Zurich regardless of actual destination.
Postie 1: Yes, lets'. Oh wait, there's one for Mary X.
Postie 2: The one who lives in Indiana? Hang on, I'll sort that into the USA box. As for frederizia and Agneisse, theirs can take a detour to Malta for all we care.

Not too funny, but was worth a shot :p: You're LUCKY to get your mail within a reasonable time period, as opposed to "we will be sending you information shortly" and having that "shortly" become three weeks :rolleyes: The grass on the other side is always greener though, I suppose :biggrin: *looks lovingly at Zurich sticker* :p:
Agneisse
Scene in a UK mail-sorting facility:
Postie 1: Boo, a new sack of letters.
Postie 2: Lets' send all of them to Zurich regardless of actual destination.
Postie 1: Yes, lets'. Oh wait, there's one for Mary X.
Postie 2: The one who lives in Indiana? Hang on, I'll sort that into the USA box. As for frederizia and Agneisse, theirs can take a detour to Malta for all we care.

Not too funny, but was worth a shot :p: You're LUCKY to get your mail within a reasonable time period, as opposed to "we will be sending you information shortly" and having that "shortly" become three weeks :rolleyes: The grass on the other side is always greener though, I suppose :biggrin: *looks lovingly at Zurich sticker* :p:

Haha, that's blates what happens! No doubt about it. You've just got to make friends with Royal Mail, and you'll be set. :p: :wink:

Where all have you got offers from, then, seeing as how you've had so much mail delayed? :smile:
Reply 78
Rainfaery
Haha, that's blates what happens! No doubt about it. You've just got to make friends with Royal Mail, and you'll be set. :p: :wink:

Where all have you got offers from, then? :smile:

So THAT is where I've been going wrong :p: Finally I've cracked the code and joined the realms of those who get uni post promptly and accurately! xD

I have offers for Biology from Durham (Castle) and UCL; 34+55 in Bio/Chem/Maths (any two) and 36+665 respectively. Pity they excluded History as I'm really rubbish at Maths, but oh well, shan't complain :p: I found out about all of those on Track before getting the physical letter, so it was REALLY anticlimatic to get the "I am recommending you to the Faculty Tutor, but this isn't binding so don't hold your breath" letter from UCL as I already knew the outcome :p: Waiting on Edinburgh and Cam; Only Edinburgh really since we already know when Cam decisions come out.

I quite like some of my US options too though, so I won't be making my decisions until late April at least. How about you? Are Cam and Edinburgh still tied for first choice or is there a third party involved? :p:
Agneisse
So THAT is where I've been going wrong :p: Finally I've cracked the code and joined the realms of those who get uni post promptly and accurately! xD

I have offers for Biology from Durham (Castle) and UCL; 34+55 in Bio/Chem/Maths (any two) and 36+665 respectively. Pity they excluded History as I'm really rubbish at Maths, but oh well, shan't complain :p: I found out about all of those on Track before getting the physical letter, so it was REALLY anticlimatic to get the "I am recommending you to the Faculty Tutor, but this isn't binding so don't hold your breath" letter from UCL as I already knew the outcome :p: Waiting on Edinburgh and Cam; Only Edinburgh really since we already know when Cam decisions come out.

I quite like some of my US options too though, so I won't be making my decisions until late April at least. How about you? Are Cam and Edinburgh still tied for first choice or is there a third party involved? :p:

Oooh, congratulations on UCL and Durham! Those are both very nice places, though I didn't apply to either! I considered Durham for ages, but then ended up not putting in on my application, heh. I got all my offers on Track first as well, and then the official paper letters came a few days to a week later. :smile: It's nice to find out on track, and then get something concrete you can hold in your hand.

I'm surprised you've not heard from Edinburgh, actually! Or maybe they haven't given out biology offers. :p:

And yeah, Edinburgh and Cambridge are still my top options. I definitely want to get out of the US. :p: I only applied to one school there, and it's my last choice. :biggrin: Where in the US did you apply?

Latest

Trending

Trending