The Student Room Group

Non-UK gap year students - What to do when your not native in English?

Hello guys!

I'm going to uni in 2010 and have a gap year, and with it a lot of problems! :biggrin: I have two options

1) The Smart, Yet Boring Option - staying in Croatia and getting a year of college so I can be up to par when I come to Ox

2) The Enriching, Yet Questionable Option - going abroad for several months, working abroad, learning languages and hopefully finding some employment related to my course (Classics).

What would you do? Of course, I want to travel, but it's just that I don't know what my chances are of getting a typical gap year job as I'm not native in the English language. :s-smilie: I know that a lot of people go abroad and teach English as a 2nd language, but I wouldn't be able to do that as my English isn't that good.

What kind of job would I be able to get as a student with advanced English and German, intermediate French and Russian and superb Latin and Greek? :biggrin: :biggrin: I suppose teaching Croatian wouldn't be an option (I mean, who would want that?)...

Are there perhaps any Classics related internships in Britain (or in other countries)?
Reply 1
you could go to greece.

your english seems good, youd probably be able to cope anywhere, doing anything, except maybe teaching english.

Latest