Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dollar and pound to go up or down?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys dono if anyone has any financial knowledge here?

Dollar against pound likely to go up or down? I need to get alot of dollars by end of march so any inside knowledge if anyone knows would be helpful.

cheers
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Up at a guess. How can you have 'inside knowledge'? That would be priced in already unless someone was thick and had 'inside knowledge' but didn't try and profit from it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I made thread on this subject and the consesus is no-one know but possibly $^ against the £. I'm hoping anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This sort of question is basically fundamentally retarded.

But anyway, read this. Whilst most people now agree that Sterling was overvalued at its peak, some people are saying they think it's probably overshot a reasonable valuation and it's probably undervalued now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mr Brown has refused to rule out the prospect of 0% interest rates, and there may well be another cut. But I would wait til later, now isnt the best time. It would be a good time to buy euros though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have a few options really,

1. Buy now and risk it going back up, ie you getting more for your money

2. Buy later and risk it going down further

You CANNOT predict currency fluctuations, there are loads of things that could affect it. You'd need to have a very good knowledge of forex as well as current affairs. I mean it's possible that when Obama is properly inaugurated the dollar will become more valuable. It's possible that Britain will get even more economically buggered, loads of things. I would wait till about halfway and then get them. It seems that the pound falling was largely kneejerk, so i'm fairly confident it'll get stronger. Whether it will by march - who knows?

We're due to be in a hole for at least the next few years while the recession lasts anyway..

The rate at the moment isn't too bad, it's better than the euro! But of course it's nowhere near as good as the old 2:1 it was in the summer.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Mr Brown has refused to rule out the prospect of 0% interest rates, and there may well be another cut. But I would wait til later, now isnt the best time. It would be a good time to buy euros though.
    And Mr Brown has how many votes in that decision?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    And Mr Brown has how many votes in that decision?
    Non, but if you really think that he has no influence over it then your living away from reality.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Is that because you think the rate will go down further?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    It would be a good time to buy euros though.
    Why?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Non, but if you really think that he has no influence over it then your living away from reality.
    Alan Greenspan said rates in the US would probably go down to 0, doesn't mean he has anything to do with it yet he has influence.

You might as well have said King hasn't ruled out 0% (far from it)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a poor time to buy Euro's surely?

We are around 1:1 at the moment, people who bought when the rate was 1.5 - say 1500 EUR at a value of 1000, can now sell them for 1500 - making £500 profit. If you buy euro's now, you're expecting the pound to get even weaker than it is already!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiternoise)

We are around 1:1 at the moment, people who bought when the rate was 1.5 - say 1500 EUR at a value of 1000, can now sell them for 1500 - making £500 profit. If you buy euro's now, you're expecting the pound to get even weaker than it is already!
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiternoise)

Yeah, I am against the Euro, but rise against the dollar. The Euro economy is in a much better position than the UK economy. I fully expect paity to be reached lated on this month. (IE a proper rate of 1-1).

Having said that, the £ got stronger against all currencies (almost) today, and was up by 3% against the Euro. So, hey, what do I know? Whether or not its just a post Christmas blip or a long term rise again is still to be seen. One days trading does not mean sustained success.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't personally see the pound/dollar changing much for the next few months, but I see the pound gaining strength against the Euro in the next six months..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Yeah, I am against the Euro, but rise against the dollar. The Euro economy is in a much better position than the UK economy.
    Really? Europe with all its supply side rigidities and its dependence on a huge central bank juggling the interests of thousands/millions of parties to set its interest rates?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domeden)
    Really? Europe with all its supply side rigidities and its dependence on a huge central bank juggling the interests of thousands/millions of parties to set its interest rates?
    Europe has an economy based much less on finance and banking. They make things which can be sold, the Uk, on the whole, dont make anything.

See here; http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehou...ins-debt.thtml

This shows the state of the G7's debt, in Q2 of 2003 and 2008, expressed as a % of their GDP
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Europe has an economy based much less on finance and banking. They make things which can be sold, the Uk, on the whole, dont make anything.
    Its because of all the management and media studies students.

Since when did the UK's two largest companies not 'make' anything?

Can you find a similar graph showing assets?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Since when did the UK's two largest companies not 'make' anything?

Can you find a similar graph showing assets?
    No, not of the top of my head. It wont matter anyway, the assets are now worthless if they are property, stocks, comodities etc. Included in the graphed figures is personal debt, so includes assets like TVs, cars, etc etc.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    No, not of the top of my head. It wont matter anyway, the assets are now worthless if they are property, stocks, comodities etc. Included in the graphed figures is personal debt, so includes assets like TVs, cars, etc etc.
    I know thats included which is why I ask.

I buy a TV on a credit card, thats £300 of debt, but I also have £300 (-depreciation) of asset. So it does matter.

EDIT
    Huh? Property/Stocks/Comodities are worthless now? How?!?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 5, 2009
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.