The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jealousy?

ps. I will not elaborate
Maybe it is not always mentioned. The only times you realise there is a Muslim involved is when you are told so it seems like people are making a big deal of it.
OllyThePhilosopher
Maybe it is not always mentioned. The only times you realise there is a Muslim involved is when you are told so it seems like people are making a big deal of it.

You think? I mean, in news headlines its always mentioned: 'Muslim does this.' 'Muslim does that!' Shock, horror - and there's, so to speak, uproar. I really don't get it. For most other religious groups, it's barely ever touched upon.
Reply 4
It doesn't tend to be mentioned unless they're involved for reasons related to their religion.
sense = makes none
Negative perceptions..
ben.small.small
You think? I mean, in news headlines its always mentioned: 'Muslim does this.' 'Muslim does that!' Shock, horror - and there's, so to speak, uproar. I really don't get it. For most other religious groups, it's barely ever touched upon.

I disagree.
Checkmate121
sense = makes none

Can you not read?
Reply 9
Snookercraze
Jealousy?

ps. I will not elaborate

:s-smilie: Although I largely find the topic to be untrue.
People have a negative view of Muslims from what they hear in the media so everytime the world Muslim is mentioned negative thoughts spring to mind.
Reply 11
its just what modern media has reduced itself to.
Reply 12
why do you think? to create negative media, islam is one the fastest growing religions in the world right know, and to most people that can be seen as a threat!
Reply 13
i largly blame exremists like bin LARDin (see what i did there lol ) but i am a muslim and i really find this quite sad.
Reply 14
Well you're only going to remember occasions where they have used the word Muslim. There could be loads of news incidents featuring Muslims and you'd never know if they didn't say "Muslim".
DaveJ
Well you're only going to remember occasions where they have used the word Muslim. There could be loads of news incidents featuring Muslims and you'd never know if they didn't say "Muslim".

The thing is I barely ever hear of other religious groups on the news, it's always Muslim this and Muslim that - the reaction by most is always quite, hmmm, weird to say the least!
ben.small.small
The thing is I barely ever hear of other religious groups on the news, it's always Muslim this and Muslim that - the reaction by most is always quite, hmmm, weird to say the least!

Well, that's not really all that surprising. In the UK, Muslim groups will often be making more noise than other religions. The Christian population has largely secularised and Islam makes up the second most common faith, and probably because it's been around for less time, it's generally more religious.
The media has strong perceptions about what is "good" or "bad", while this does not affect only Muslims it does seem to be the case that Muslims get the worst of it. There used to (still is tbh) be a similar situation with "black" people. The media can be very negative, without putting it into direct words. All you need is increased media coverage on certain topics, an adjective here and one there, and you have yourself a story with deeper connotations.

As far as "making the most noise" is concerned, I beg to differ, since the largest amount of noise comes from guys on tables asking people to stop by, which by the by I see an equal measure of between Muslims, Christians (including all branches) and the occasional crazy person.
Reply 18
ben.small.small
Why is it, when 'Muslim' or 'Islam' is factored into anything, everything changes? Why, when a Muslim sues someone for this, or a Muslim is involved in X or Y - everything is exarcebated to one crazy extent? :confused:

I'm not religious, btw - just openly curious. :wink:

Personally, I think it's because of traditional Europe's extreme hatred of Islam. This still has a presence in the minds of people. Everyone is quick to paint an "us vs. them" picture - especially the media.
People who hate or are against Islam, just blame everything on Muslims & stereotype everything as being their fault! (They're bad just cause of their faith and beliefs!)

If one or two or even a group of extremest are present in the world and they have clearly dismembered the reputation and the image of Islam by their recless acts, that does NOT give you the right to stereotype everyone!

(Please excuse the spelling of some words.. :o: )

Latest