The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TheBrightShadow
i totally agree with that, but i would want it to be done equally to everyone. if there is a pedophile then if he/she happens to be a christain/muslim or any other religion then point that fact out,

The article points out that Lord Ahmed was the first muslim to be made a life peer. That's why it included the prefix in the title, although silly people do have a tendency to come to false conclusions based on title alone. Like, for example, "being muslim causes you to crash cars when texting". Which it doesn't. Most people aren't idiots and they realise this, but that doesn't stop those with a chip on their shoulder about the media being mean to Muslims having a go on completely untenable terms, because, to be fair, there is a lot of "middle England" mindset still about, and they're worried that'll further enflame this.
TheBrightShadow
surely you would find that story (about a Lord) interesting, youve got GB in your sig!

I do find it interesting. :biggrin: I :love: the House of Lords, even in it's current state. Ninety-two hereditary peers form as good a bulwark as any against the machinations of an overzealous executive. The rest of them are pretty damn clever too.

Obviously not clever enough to not text whilst driving, but that's more an unfortunate error than anything else. The Lords are not immune to criminal arrest or actions, and I'm not sure that was the point of the article. It was simply an article about how a Lord is in a bit of a pickle - and that Lord happened to be Muslim.
Crimson Black
The article points out that Lord Ahmed was the first muslim to be made a life peer. That's why it included the prefix in the title, although silly people do have a tendency to come to false conclusions based on title alone. Like, for example, "being muslim causes you to crash cars when texting". Which it doesn't. Most people aren't idiots and they realise this, but that doesn't stop those with a chip on their shoulder about the media being mean to Muslims having a go on completely untenable terms, because, to be fair, there is a lot of "middle England" mindset still about, and they're worried that'll further enflame this.

glad to know you actually know the article, i tried to find it online somewhere but couldnt.
some newspapers do flame certain topics, which causes those who read it to start hating on that topic e.g. political parties, religions etc. and i wish i could share your belief in that most people do think for themseleves and understand and look at sources when reading articles.
the papers know what their target audience is and hence print biased articles specifically tabloids, whose readers lap up everything no questions asked
Crimson Black
I The rest of them are pretty damn clever too.

Obviously not clever enough to not text whilst driving, but that's more an unfortunate error than anything else. .
:biggrin: hehehehe
well shouldve obeyed the law :smile:
ben.small.small
Why is it, when 'Muslim' or 'Islam' is factored into anything, everything changes? Why, when a Muslim sues someone for this, or a Muslim is involved in X or Y - everything is exarcebated to one crazy extent? :confused:

I'm not religious, btw - just openly curious. :wink:

When someone says 'Muslim" or "Islam" the first thing a brainwashed idiot would think is "terror" or "oppression" coz the media brainwashed him/her.
Also, its to make the story more interesting. If a Muslim is mentioned then everyone would want to know the story.
The media want to make everyone see Islam as a threat and hate Muslims.

I don't really see articles mentioning criminals religions apart from Muslim ones, thats just unfair. >_>
Original post by l’&#941
When someone says 'Muslim" or "Islam" the first thing a brainwashed idiot would think is "terror" or "oppression" coz the media brainwashed him/her.
Also, its to make the story more interesting. If a Muslim is mentioned then everyone would want to know the story.
The media want to make everyone see Islam as a threat and hate Muslims.

I don't really see articles mentioning criminals religions apart from Muslim ones, thats just unfair. >_>

I think this is true. Even on TSR, when someone posts a thread: 'Muslims, what should I do' - every member pounces, panicstricken. It really is quite sickening, imo. :s-smilie:
Reply 46
Does Hitler represent the views of all the white people?

If no, then you can use the same logic to say Bin Laden does NOT represent the views of all the Muslim people.
Big Kabz

If no, then you can use the same logic to say Bin Laden does NOT represent the views of all the Muslim people.

But somehow, those views of terrorists are embedded into our British and westernised society of Muslims as a whole.
Reply 48
I don't think it is too much about people are really racist in Europe or UK towards Islam but I think it's the things that Islam is related with like terrorism and fundamentalists and obviously they hate them so sometimes this gets transferred to hate for Muslim people. I think that is how all the hatred is happening, I don't people just HATE Islam and Muslim people period, I think it's because they think of them as terrorists because of what has and is happening that they think that.
Reply 49
kai4321
I don't think it is too much about people are really racist in Europe or UK towards Islam but I think it's the things that Islam is related with like terrorism and fundamentalists and obviously they hate them so sometimes this gets transferred to hate for Muslim people. I think that is how all the hatred is happening, I don't people just HATE Islam and Muslim people period, I think it's because they think of them as terrorists because of what has and is happening that they think that.

So would it be acceptable if non white Muslim people think of white people as "racist sadistic bastards" because of what Hitler (a white man) did all those years ago?

If the answer is NO, then it is the same for non Muslims to think of all Muslims as terrorists. Bin Laden and other terrorists do NOT represent the entire Muslim community.
i think the general stereotyping of muslims as all terrorists is infact very sick. The media doesn't seem to be helping it either, every time an islamic person commits a crime or does something 'stereotypical', the media seems to jump on the fact that he or she is muslim rather than what he or she actually did.

It would also be wrong to say islam doesn't have a problem with fundamentalism, like all other religions, when you mix stupid people with a belief system you will deffinately get fundamentalism.

The media seems to picture muslims as the new scapegoat of the world, what they don't seem to mention is that it takes 2 sides to create the chaos in the muslim world, the muslims themselves and also the imperialistic forces that have left the middle east or parts of africa in such fragil and volatile states.
Reply 51
Big Kabz
So would it be acceptable if non white Muslim people think of white people as "racist sadistic bastards" because of what Hitler (a white man) did all those years ago?

If the answer is NO, then it is the same for non Muslims to think of all Muslims as terrorists. Bin Laden and other terrorists do NOT represent the entire Muslim community.

First of all, learn to read, I think you thought I wrote something else. I said that people associate Muslims with terrorists, now I am not saying that they should or shouldn't or that it would be correct to do so, just saying it happens.

Secondly, I don't think ANYONE associates white people with Hitler. Some racists associate it with German people, but again, that is something that I am not saying is good and true to do, just that it happens.
Imagine if someone even critized a Jewish person the same way muslims have been
Reply 53
Usually when something bad happens and is caused by a Muslim, religion is mentioned. When it is caused by a Christian/Jew/Hindu/Buddhist/Sikh/Athiest, religion is NOT mentioned.

The media are influencing people's views about Islam and Muslims. You have idiots in society in all groups (race/religion/sex/nationality etc.) but you cannot judge everybody just on the actions of a few idiots.
Reply 54
Big Kabz

Islam is not a race, it's a religion. White/Caucasian is a race.

What a ridiculous comment, there are plenty of white Muslims.

IMO Islam is a very singular minded, egotistical religion. It is not different to Christianity which also holds these "non believers burn in hell" ideologies. The difference is that Muslim people seem to voice their beliefs and disagreements in a much more loud and sometimes violent manner then other modern day religions.

Unfortunately, the acts of some extremist Muslims have tarnished the Islamic people as a whole. This is saddening, but I do not have any sympathy as the Muslim community does not seem to do much to improve this image. Do you really expect people to respect a religion whereby it's people riot and burn effigies in the street when their prophet is depicted in cartoons? Some Muslims seem to have a problem of integrating into western society. They should be free to have their beliefs and follow their religion, but when they start becoming violent or disrupting the life of other British people then that is when I believe the government should have a comply or leave policy.
stormfire
Islam is not a race, it's a religion. White/Caucasian is a race.

What a ridiculous comment, there are plenty of white Muslims.

IMO Islam is a very singular minded, egotistical religion. It is not different to Christianity which also holds these "non believers burn in hell" ideologies. The difference is that Muslim people seem to voice their beliefs and disagreements in a much more loud and sometimes violent manner then other modern day religions.

Unfortunately, the acts of some extremist Muslims have tarnished the Islamic people as a whole. This is saddening, but I do not have any sympathy as the Muslim community does not seem to do much to improve this image. Do you really expect people to respect a religion whereby it's people riot and burn effigies in the street when their prophet is depicted in cartoons? Some Muslims seem to have a problem of integrating into western society. They should be free to have their beliefs and follow their religion, but when they start becoming violent or disrupting the life of other British people then that is when I believe the government should have a comply or leave policy.

they voice their beliefs because the majority of muslims are religious and activly follow the quran (im sure everyone knows muslims that drink alchol etc though) when someone drew pictures of their prophet, something which isnt allowed in islam, they rightly demonstrated/rioted.
the majority of christians are not actively worshiping, e.g. going church every sunday, i remember watching the film Gangs of New York and there was a scene where learnadio di Caprio tossed a bible over a bridge into a river, i wouldve totally understood if there was a mass demonstration over that scene and places banning it. but i didnt here anything.
Reply 56
TheBrightShadow
they voice their beliefs because the majority of muslims are religious and activly follow the quran (im sure everyone knows muslims that drink alchol etc though) when someone drew pictures of their prophet, something which isnt allowed in islam, they rightly demonstrated/rioted. the majority of christians are not actively worshiping, e.g. going church every sunday, i remember watching the film Gangs of New York and there was a scene where learnadio di Caprio tossed a bible over a bridge into a river, i wouldve totally understood if there was a mass demonstration over that scene and places banning it. but i didnt here anything.

Surely you didn't support the Muslims' violent slogans in their protests? And surely rioting isn't "peaceful" whereas I thought Islam was a lot about peace?
Reply 57
TheBrightShadow
when someone drew pictures of their prophet, something which isnt allowed in islam, they rightly demonstrated/rioted.

What kind of decent and honorable religion condones rioting and burning of effigies over the drawing of their prophet in a cartoon?

This is 2009, not 1509.. such barbaric and uncivilized actions should not be allowed or condoned. Muslims are free to protest in a peaceful manner, but when this borders on violence (which it often does) then this is where the world needs to put their foot down, as with any other group who protests in an aggressive and violent manner.

TheBrightShadow
the majority of christians are not actively worshiping, e.g. going church every sunday

Source?
Reply 58
Who are "THEY" in your words? Can you explain that?

OK a few people but not ALL Muslims.
DaveJ
Surely you didn't support the Muslims' violent slogans in their protests? And surely rioting isn't "peaceful" whereas I thought Islam was a lot about peace?

thats so true, rioting and the threatening slogans were not helpful in their causes but when have people or countries (especially the so called civilized ones) not used violence to get points across, the past have told us that being nice doesnt get you anywhere (e.g. peaceful demonstrations to oppose the iraq war)

Latest