The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Applied ICT Unit 9&10 Working to a brief and Numerical Modelling

Am i the only one totally confused by these units?
The numerical modelling brief contradicts itself and i have no idea what im supposed to be doing?!
So i understand i need to create a spreadsheet that sets the price for a night stay

ive worked out how much it would be for each pricing band, and have included the costs of the hotel, room charges, and manager bonus.

But i have no idea what else i need to do.
Can anyone shed any light onto this unit?! Even if it helps me abit just to understand what im supposed to be doing :s-smilie:

Reply 1
How I'd do it...

2 assumptions:
1. You have to generate booking information (could use random data) for last year and the previous year
2. You can decide on the formula used to generate prices for the current year (from last year) and for next year (from the current year). I've done this based on the number of bookings. The "room occupancy" is irrelevant. Basically I have a formula that will increase the discount if there were not many bookings...I'll explain shortly.

Don't worry too much about formula to begin with - try to create some worksheets with headings. I'd recommend:
lastyear/thisyear/nextyear/profits

I'll post more shortly...

TIP: make sure your project log/diary (unit 9) has the recognised OCR headings. It's worth 31% of the overall mark. Consider downloading openworkbench (free) to do a gnatt chart and PERT as it'll save a lot of time.
Reply 2
clickschool
How I'd do it...

2 assumptions:
1. You have to generate booking information (could use random data) for last year and the previous year
2. You can decide on the formula used to generate prices for the current year (from last year) and for next year (from the current year). I've done this based on the number of bookings. The "room occupancy" is irrelevant. Basically I have a formula that will increase the discount if there were not many bookings...I'll explain shortly.

Don't worry too much about formula to begin with - try to create some worksheets with headings. I'd recommend:
lastyear/thisyear/nextyear/profits

I'll post more shortly...

TIP: make sure your project log/diary (unit 9) has the recognised OCR headings. It's worth 31% of the overall mark. Consider downloading openworkbench (free) to do a gnatt chart and PERT as it'll save a lot of time.

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Ive managed to work out most of the things now i think.

Ive got a worksheet with last years data that i made up.
Ive then got another worksheet for price enquiries.
The manager is able to put in a date from last year, and it will find the profit for that day.
I have the 3 booking tariffs and have a spinner button which changes the percetage, and changes the price accordingly.

I now need to find out how to make it so the user can type in the day of the year, and it will use the target profit to change the percentages charged for that day to meet the target.
I think i may need to use the solver function, but im not sure how :frown:

Im keeping up with my diary, and have created the pert and gant chart previously so these are all ok :smile:
Reply 3
Hey guys! Are either of you doing GO55 Networking Solutions next friday?
Reply 4
no sorry
i only have coursework this year.
Are you doing unit 9 as coursework? I dont understand what i need to do for task A. Any help:confused:
Reply 6
Yeh im doing unit 9 as coursework.
Can you just remind me what task A is and i'll try help you :smile:
Task A: you produce a report which fully evaluates the current working practices and discusses all issues to be taken account of when implementing the project.

thanks
Reply 8
Ok you need to look at how numberical modelling is done in industry and how people predict things.
I looked at weather predictions, airplane booking systems, things like that. Then link what youve found to the brief, and how you will use this in producing the solution to the brief.
Aaahh, Thanks for that and unit 12 is where you actually produce the solution? Im doing unit 9 and 12 and I need to create a hobby magazine. What other units are you doing/ have you done?
Reply 10
Ive been doing unit 9 & 10 together. Then after this im doing unit 14 (i think) about websites?
Yea unit 14 is about websites. I've just finished my unit 14, Im doing unit 12, publishing unit. Im now getting my head around it, :biggrin:
Reply 12
Ohh how was it? Is unit 14 easy? :biggrin:
Reply 13
OCR A2 Applied ICT Unit 9&10 Working to a brief and Numerical Modelling
Reply 14
im doing units 9 10 and 14 any1 doing the same unit and wants to compare work find me on msn or email me at [email protected]
Reply 15
1anup
im doing units 9 10 and 14 any1 doing the same unit and wants to compare work find me on msn or email me at [email protected]

hi im about to start unit 9 now
can someone like tell me what its about 8-))
and alsoo help me?
Reply 16
could someone send me your last years coursework on spreasheets and grant chart plz !!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending