The Student Room Group
If you want a career in earth sciences, it's probably better to go for the accredited one. If you're not sure you want a career in it, I'd say go for the accredited one so that you have the option if you change your mind later.
I wouldn't think the MSci would necessarily have more applicants to places, and quite often they let you change between them anyway, though it's easier financially if you go for the msci route first.
Don't waste two of your choices on durham anyway, if they can't offer you a place on the msci I'm sure they'd consider you for the other anyway. I e-mailed a university about that before I applied and they said that if you don't make the grades for the msci, you can get onto the bsc course.
Reply 2
deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Coca-Colita
Hey gyus,

I'm applying for Earth Science/Geoscience and have just found out that the course I'm applying for at my top uni (Durham) is not accredited by Geological Society. However, similar course at Durham IS accredited, the only difference is that the accredited one is MSci and you choose one of the three routes available in your 2nd year onwards. Is it risky/useless for my future career to study an unaccredited course? Do you think that I should apply for accredited one instead? (I suppose it has higher applicants:tongue:laces ratio then :frown:). I'm in love with Durham and definitely want to go there!...should I apply for both then? I don't want to make admission tutors see that I'm way too keen on Durham...they might turn out to be b*****s and reject me from both...:frown:

Thanks for your help.

the accredation is an odd thing. i know some universities that do a geology course for disabled people. As they are unable to do te field work they do not get addredation, and i think theres a certain amount of field work each course has to have for the society to acknowledge them, so id check if thats the difference between the courses.

if so it may not be so much of a problem but alot of employers like good field work grades so its a bit of a choice :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending