The Student Room Group

Dropping out, applying again this year:a few questions

Hello,

The Situation:

I am presently in my first year at the University of Sheffield studying Civil and Structural Engineering (a 4 year MEng). Suffice it to say that for one reason or another I am going to quit.

My plan is to apply this year to study Mathematics and Philosophy, something was going to do anyway before I changed my mind for stupid reasons.

Universities I am thinking about are St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh. St Andrews is where I really have my heart set on. I am not a city boy at heart! :p:

My A levels were 3 As (Maths, Physics and Economics) and a B (Govt. and Politics). Hopefully this should give me a decent chance of getting good offers, though I suppose being a drop out is not impressive :frown:

The Plan

I obviously need to talk to my personal tutor about this.

Questions

Who pays my tuition fees over the 3000ish quid I pay with a student loan? Will they be willing to cough up for this? Particularly if I go to St Andrews, which, as a 4 year course will mean I will be at uni for an extra year.

Should I finish the year at Sheffield? I don't have a problem with the academic side of my course, so I am presently planning to finish the year and do as well as I can since I presume this will put me in a stronger position in my future applications. Would I be better off cutting my economic losses and running away home?

ugh, sorry about the structure of this post, it seems very dry and formal. I just wanted to be clear about where I am right now.

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions, or any remarks!

Al
Reply 1
AlastairHeggie
Hello,

The Situation:

I am presently in my first year at the University of Sheffield studying Civil and Structural Engineering (a 4 year MEng). Suffice it to say that for one reason or another I am going to quit.

My plan is to apply this year to study Mathematics and Philosophy, something was going to do anyway before I changed my mind for stupid reasons.

Universities I am thinking about are St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh. St Andrews is where I really have my heart set on. I am not a city boy at heart! :p:

My A levels were 3 As (Maths, Physics and Economics) and a B (Govt. and Politics). Hopefully this should give me a decent chance of getting good offers, though I suppose being a drop out is not impressive :frown:

The Plan

I obviously need to talk to my personal tutor about this.

Questions

Who pays my tuition fees over the 3000ish quid I pay with a student loan? Will they be willing to cough up for this? Particularly if I go to St Andrews, which, as a 4 year course will mean I will be at uni for an extra year.

Should I finish the year at Sheffield? I don't have a problem with the academic side of my course, so I am presently planning to finish the year and do as well as I can since I presume this will put me in a stronger position in my future applications. Would I be better off cutting my economic losses and running away home?

ugh, sorry about the structure of this post, it seems very dry and formal. I just wanted to be clear about where I am right now.

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions, or any remarks!

Al

If you applied for financing through Student Finance Direct for your university funding, they are the ones who will be paying your fees. I believe you can still apply for funding for the years you plan to spend at another university. However, they will fund you for a maximum of 4 years. You being at university this year counts as one year of funding, so you only have 3 years of funding left. If you go to St Andrew's, for one of those years you're on your own.

If you feel you would benefit from completing the year, do so. It all a matter of you deciding whether the economic losses outweigh the benefits you hope to achieve from completing your year of Civil and Structural Engineering
I think actually Student Finance will fund you for the length of your course plus one year for "false starts." So whilst for most people this would be four years if your new course is four years you will get this, with the year you have just done counting as your extra year for a false start. It's basically x+1, x being the length of the course you end up doing.
Reply 3
I wish I'd seen this earlier on when you originally posted, rather than now it's bumped. Would be interesting to know what you ended up doing - I was in the same position, also at Sheffield but doing Sociology rather than Engineering!

Latest

Trending

Trending