The Student Room Group

Tournament/Club Chess or Chess as a Hobby?

Poll

Tournament/Club Chess or Chess as a Hobby?

Hi All,

Im just wondering who else on The Student Room plays chess. I actually play chess at very competitive level but also play with friends sometimes in school in free periods in the 6th form common room (Fitzalan High School, Cardiff, a great school to be totally honest!).

I am a Welsh Under 16 Champion, the Cardiff Under 18 champion, I captain a Team called Cardiff Dragons in the East Glamorgan Chess League, I have represented Wales in International Tournaments, Won many individual Welsh Congress Events (Offered to Adult and Juniors), Captain my School for Chess and have re-established the Chess Club since the retirement of the Head of Mathematics who used to run the Chess Club. I also offer coaching and mentoring in my School along with my older brother who has achieved all that I have achieved and also competed in the European Championships.

I know that there must be some very good players on here and people who are a lot better than I am, so please do leave a comment and your title and grade if you have one. Finally, to answer the thread, I play both both tournament/club level and as a hobby and I am very interested how seriously other people play chess.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
used to play seriously, county/ national events till i was like 14

last proper match was in national schools u15/16 team tournament, which we won, first state school for years
Reply 2
also used to play more seriously, at school and in a club back in Germany. Never found a club I liked over here, though. Still play occasionally.
Reply 3
I like playing chess as a hobby too but never really took it seriously. I joined an online chess club few years ago but don't use it anymore now. Nowadays I go to yahoo.com to play chess. You must be very good MJ. I would like to play you hehe :smile:
Reply 4
Should learn to play Go. Simpler rules, more complex strategy :biggrin:
I used to play competitively at under-16 level: but then other players started getting too clever, so I began playing just casually!
Reply 6
Chess is a wussy game for heathen. Checkers is where it's at.
Reply 7
*MJ*
Hi All,

Im just wondering who else on The Student Room plays chess. I actually play chess at very competitive level but also play with friends sometimes in school in free periods in the 6th form common room (Fitzalan High School, Cardiff, a great school to be totally honest!).

I am a Welsh Under 16 Champion, the Cardiff Under 18 champion, I captain a Team called Cardiff Dragons in the East Glamorgan Chess League, I have represented Wales in International Tournaments, Won many individual Welsh Congress Events (Offered to Adult and Juniors), Captain my School for Chess and have re-established the Chess Club since the retirement of the Head of Mathematics who used to run the Chess Club. I also offer coaching and mentoring in my School along with my older brother who has achieved all that I have achieved and also competed in the European Championships.

I know that there must be some very good players on here and people who are a lot better than I am, so please do leave a comment and your title and grade if you have one. Finally, to answer the thread, I play both both tournament/club level and as a hobby and I am very interested how seriously other people play chess.

I'll give you a game. Heads I'm white, tails you're black.......oh, you lose .....I'm white......

1. C4
Reply 8
Howard
I'll give you a game. Heads I'm white, tails you're black.......oh, you lose .....I'm white......

1. C4

The English defence not bad?

I don't mind being black actually?

Why don't we play on a website?

Yahoo? Fly or Die?

...:smile:
Reply 9
*MJ*
The English defence not bad?

I don't mind being black actually?

Why don't we play on a website?

Yahoo? Fly or Die?

I'd love to but I'm not sure if I'm able. I'm on company time and a computer/LAN that sends a message to our IT department if attempt to use it for games. I work for a German company and so fun of any sort is strictly "verbotten"!
Reply 10
Howard
I'd love to but I'm not sure if I'm able. I'm on company time and a computer/LAN that sends a message to our IT department if attempt to use it for games. I work for a German company and so fun of any sort is strictly "verbotten"!

Well then tell me when you get home or something.

You will catch me online sometime or other just PM me a time and I would love to play you.

Do you have a rating or grade?

Reply 11
*MJ*
Well then tell me when you get home or something.

You will catch me online sometime or other just PM me a time and I would love to play you.

Do you have a rating or grade?

No. I was a lower Class C so nothing special. But that was years ago so I'm afraid I'd have to consider myself unrated these days. I just a casual player now.
Reply 12
Howard
No. I was a lower Class C so nothing special. But that was years ago but I'm afraid I'd have to consider myself unrated these days. I just a casual player now.

Oh I see.

I'm not so serious about chess that much now a days.

I still have a decent rating and a lot of success behind me but I just play the occasional game casually with friends.

Wouldn't mind playing people on TSR though. I've had a few challenges already...:smile:
Reply 13
*MJ*
Oh I see.

I'm not so serious about chess that much now a days.

I still have a decent rating and a lot of success behind me but I just play the occasional game casually with friends.

Wouldn't mind playing people on TSR though. I've had a few challenges already...:smile:

Why not start out a TSR Chess Society?

If we could get enough people interested in playing we could draw their names from a hat in pairs and have them play one another (using yahoo games or email or whatever) Then take the winners and repeat the process, until we get to the grand final! Sort of a knockout competition.

Could be a bit of a good crack!
Reply 14
Howard
Why not start out a TSR Chess Society?

If we could get enough people interested in playing we could draw their names from a hat in pairs and have them play one another (using yahoo games or email or whatever) Then take the winners and repeat the process, until we get to the grand final! Sort of a knockout competition.

Could be a bit of a good crack!

That would be really good actually, how do I start one?

I did this in my school and it turned out to be a great success so I would like to repeat it on TSR...:wink:

...:biggrin:
I love playing, never seriously though.

Having said that, I take each game VERY seriously! :smile:
Reply 16
*MJ*
That would be really good actually, how do I start one?

I did this in my school and it turned out to be a great success so I would like to repeat it on TSR...:wink:

...:biggrin:

Let's put our thinking caps on and work out the best way. Talk later/tommorrow.
Reply 17
Howard
Let's put our thinking caps on and work out the best way. Talk later/tommorrow.

To set up a society do I need to contact a moderator or something?

I'm not too sure but a Chess Society would be great if they haven't already got one...:smile:
Reply 18
mikeyd85

Nice way to look at playing chess.

But don't go and break your window if you lose...:smile:

Playing chess can be quite fun actually...:woo:
Reply 19
mikeyd85

Have you ever picked up the clock and smashed it into your opponent's face in a fit of blind rage? Now that's taking it seriously!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending