The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
no worries, gave me a chuckle...!
Reply 21
Cez
you don't know if you'll even get any side effects
http://www.malariahotspots.co.uk/

Hmm? Your referring to when it stays dormant?
Reply 22
I'm just trying to say that you might be better off taking a chance of getting some mildly nasty side effects (of which I have had none, despite having taken lariam, doxycycline, and proguanil/chloroquin for a combined period of over a year) than risking getting malaria:

What are the symptoms of malaria?
Symptoms include fever, chills, sweats and headache, and in some instances may progress to jaundice, blood coagulation defects, shock, kidney or liver failure, central nervous system disorders and coma

Out of the two, I'd rather be in rural SE Asia with a dodgy belly than any of the above. I've been to SE Asia and tried looking for a decent hospital in Cambodia when I was bitten by a poisonous spider. I ended up sitting on a minibus for 10 hours to get back to Bangkok. Better safe than sorry IMO.
Reply 23
Ewan
Well Malarone can be prescribed for a maximum of 3 months AFAIK, plus its very expensive when compared to the alternatives. Doxycycline was the first thing suggested to me too, until I told her I'd rather go with Malarone (after reading about side affects and what-not before hand, figured it was worth paying the extra if its gunna save me being ill). Its much more critical in Africa though, really a lot of the places they recommend medication for its rarely needed. Afterall approximately 80 percent of malaria cases and 90 to 95 percent of malaria-related deaths in the world are estimated to be in Africa (though this could be partly to due with lack of treatment rather than actual prevalence!)

Another thing, Malaria medication only prevents the parasite from developing. Its basically a poison which your taking the entire time (hence the side affects). If you cought Malaria, then went straight to a doctor you would be fine (they would then likely give you some Doxycycline to kill the parasite). The only problem is Malaria symtoms are very similar to a lot of other stuff - nausia, head aches, flu like symtoms - which could be caused by a number of things. What some travellers do is simply carry around an emergency packet of pills to take if they think they've contracted Malaria. Ofcourse side affects are going to be more severe when you take this emergency prescription since you'll be taking more than one pill at a time. Atleast this way you don't have to take them every day though.

Waiting till you actually contract Malaria before taking any anti-malarials just doesn't sound like the most fun. Especially if you're not even sure you're going to react to the anti-malarials! I know it's not as prevalent in SE Asia but if there's a chance of getting it...
Reply 24
Cez
Waiting till you actually contract Malaria before taking any anti-malarials just doesn't sound like the most fun. Especially if you're not even sure you're going to react to the anti-malarials! I know it's not as prevalent in SE Asia but if there's a chance of getting it...

Why? Early symptoms of Malaria are rather mild, its only after a while that things start getting nasty. Besides anti-malarials don't stop you contracting malaria, they simply kill it when you do. So really, it makes no difference.

"Chloroquine, proguanil, mefloquine, and doxycycline are suppressive prophylactics. This means that they are only effective at killing the malaria parasite once it has entered the erythrocytic stage (blood stage) of its life cycle, and therefore have no effect until the liver stage is complete."

By this point you would already have symptoms and be able to take emergency measures. Taking malaria medication the entire time is just a fool proof (well as can possibly be) way of preventing malaria, its not entirely necessary though if your careful.

I have a friend who caught malaria 5 times (she lived in an area where theres a very high risk though), and without medical attention she would of died fast. But with the proper protection she was always fine.

Anyway, the OP needs to see a doctor and ask him a lot of questions, because this may be wrong. Its just my understanding of the disease, which is rather limited at best.

At the end of the day its a personal choice, and the OP needs to weigh up the positives and negatives of possible side affects against the risks of contracting the disease (which actually aren't that high at all, infact miniscule when proper preventitive measures are used). You should think this through properly because it could make or break your trip.
Reply 25
Cez
II've been to SE Asia and tried looking for a decent hospital in Cambodia when I was bitten by a poisonous spider. I ended up sitting on a minibus for 10 hours to get back to Bangkok. Better safe than sorry IMO.

I was in SE Asia for a 6 month period, and yes I most certainly agree with you that possible side effects of malaria tablets are better than risking malaria, but on this point, did your insurance not pay for you to be flown to Bangkok? Or you could at least have seen an international doctor in Phnom Penh?

So I think another important point to make is that have vaccinations, take malaria tablets, but also don't go anywhere without insurance :P

J
Reply 26
Doxycycline is not that bad. You'll get some nausea and headaches but its okay. I had no problems with it. If you don't want the side-effects then take Malarone - but bear in mind this is damn expensive.

Its rather moot however if you are sticking mainly to the tourist areas and not roughing it out in the wilderness.

I think people overplay the concern about malaria tbh. Its really dengue fever you should be worrying about.
Reply 27
Which vaccinations should you get for Thailand?
Reply 28
For Vietnam, I had:

Hep A

Hep B

Jap Enceph

Rabies

Typhoid

Diphtheria, Tetanus and Polio

And also took Malaria tablets

Info on Thailand:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand/practical-information/health#0
Reply 29
You should have had DTP when you were young. I have to pay something like £40 for the Jap B and Rabies.
Reply 30
gaijin
You should have had DTP when you were young. I have to pay something like £40 for the Jap B and Rabies.

I didn't have any vaccinations at school since MMR when I was about 5 :smile:

Yep, I'm going to India in March for 4 months, and also have to pay to have Jap Enceph and Rabies boosters :smile:
Reply 31
JoeJBB
I was in SE Asia for a 6 month period, and yes I most certainly agree with you that possible side effects of malaria tablets are better than risking malaria, but on this point, did your insurance not pay for you to be flown to Bangkok? Or you could at least have seen an international doctor in Phnom Penh?

So I think another important point to make is that have vaccinations, take malaria tablets, but also don't go anywhere without insurance :P

J

Hehe, yes I did have insurance fortunately! In hindsight maybe getting to Bangkok quicker would have been a plan but I wasn't actually dying, the bite just gave me a ginormous painful boil on my leg so I didn't mind sitting on a bus too much. I wasn't in Phnomh Penh, I was in Siem Reap and all the hospitals were a bit grotty / run by the Red Cross so I decided to put up with the discomfort. But yeah, don't go anywhere exotic without travel insurance, especially the USA.....!
It was Doxycycline. Awful. I'd never used it again.

Latest