The Student Room Group

Which companies do you think will go under soon?

I think Zavvi will actually shut its doors permanently - you don't do a sale like that unless you are trying to just get rid of everything.

Arcadia will probably get shot of BHS - when I walk past there never seems to be anyone in there, and according to my mum it's tat, and not particularly cheap tat either. Just because it's backed by a big group doesn't mean that they won't drop it if they aren't making money from it - they've got to be big by being savvy and ruthless.

Jessops - people have got digital cameras and therefore aren't paying for processing film, or even buying it for that matter.

Clinton Cards - very overpriced, and Card Factory is just round the corner from them, and it knocks spots off Clinton Cards.

On a slightly more local level, I really hope Cinema de Lux at Cabot Circus goes sooner rather than later. It's about £8 for a ticket and they are really squeezing the Odeon judging by their price cuts.

However, Primark / Poundland / Lidl / Aldi / Netto etc. will do very well :yep:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you know Asda is cheaper than Lidl, Aldi and Netto??? It was in a newspaper...

Anyway... maybe claire accessories?
Reply 2
WHSmith are next to go!
pcworld
jessops
ethel austin
peacocks
somerfield/iceland
Origami Bullets
I think Zavvi will actually shut its doors permanently - you don't do a sale like that unless you are trying to just get rid of everything.

Arcadia will probably get shot of BHS - when I walk past there never seems to be anyone in there, and according to my mum it's tat, and not particularly cheap tat either. Just because it's backed by a big group doesn't mean that they won't drop it if they aren't making money from it - they've got to be big by being savvy and ruthless.

Jessops - people have got digital cameras and therefore aren't paying for processing film, or even buying it for that matter.

Clinton Cards - very overpriced, and Card Factory is just round the corner from them, and it knocks spots off Clinton Cards.

On a slightly more local level, I really hope Cinema de Lux at Cabot Circus goes sooner rather than later. It's about £8 for a ticket and they are really squeezing the Odeon judging by their price cuts.

i think whsmiths, but zavvi doing a sale!? i need to go there tomorrow!
Reply 5
I'm with you on bhs no one is ever in there anymore.
Clintons will go down too probabley this summer.
my local primark was packed.
ummmm... thats about it really independent stores sha;ll prob go bust
edit- dont see that many people in millets and blackss so dunno bout thier finances
h82think
WHSmith are next to go!

Hope not, or there won't be any shops left where i live!
Zavvi = £2.99 for most DVDs
PC world won't go and if it did then curries and many other stores will go with it.

I think another airline is going to go along with another bank.

Tescos are really struggling but I don't think I am allowed to specify what is going on with them.
Clintons will go I think, they're too over priced, I agree about BHS too. I can't think of any other stores, but ones that sell rubbish basically that you don't need.
letsdothetimewarpagain
PC world won't go and if it did then curries and many other stores will go with it.

I think another airline is going to go along with another bank.

Tescos are really struggling but I don't think I am allowed to specify what is going on with them.

:eek: Tescos is struggling, why? They sell everything, they even have opticians why, it's why we needed to open extra hours 'cause of them!! I've always prefered asda though - sorry! :p:
zavvi are pretty much gone. they have no supplier. they are having a fire sale as after the demise of woolies' EUK, they had to buy in all their xmas stock with cash money - they need to get this cash back to keep it moving around the business. they will either cut alot of stores, or go altogether.

BHS is still pretty profitable, and i think arcadia will retain it for the time being. It is not the weakest link in that group by any means.

jessops have cut right back of late, but don't think they will hit the wall - I reckon they restructured just in time.

Debenhams is one that needs to see big changes, as it is carrying way too much debt on its balance sheet.

ethel austin would not take much to fall back into administration, same for MK one.

allied carpets are up for sale already, and may go if no-one buys soon,

oh, and Borders UK may be forced into store closures, or just buggering off altogether.
i hope stores like jjb, jd sports etc all go. i hate them!!!!
francescarella
i hope stores like jjb, jd sports etc all go. i hate them!!!!

Chav Central :awesome:
Reply 14
Origami Bullets

Can't see Clintons going under my sister workis for them and they are under very sound footing
Yeah, BHS is pretty rubbish really :sadnod:
I like Clintons, their cards seem nice than those from the likes of Card Factory and Card Warehouse, although I agree that they are ridiculously overpriced.
I fully expect JJB to cut back, but probably stay alive. Big supply issues, but they are still the biggest football kit retailer.
i think the John Lewis Partnership are looking very weak. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, John Lewis never cease to come out on top, an incredible retailler by all acounts. If retaillers are struggling they need to look to John Lewis and think what makes it so successful :yep:
Clintons???? Surely not, I love Clintons :frown:
Reply 19
tokyorose888
i think whsmiths, but zavvi doing a sale!? i need to go there tomorrow!

Zavvi are in administration

Latest

Trending

Trending