The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Superdrug, PC World, perhaps somewhere like JJB...

I didn't know Zavvi were having a very desperate sale, I mean I know they've gone into administration but last time I went there everything was still quite expensive...
Colbert
The Zavvi in Exeter seem to be ignoring any thoughts about administration as everything is still well overpriced, only the usual tat is on sale which you would expect in January. Went there yesterday hoping for some bargains...didn't happen :frown:

Yeah, i went last Monday to the Exeter one and it was useless, the store was packed but nothing seemed reduced :rolleyes: No bargains for us obviously :frown:
Ethel Austin?! Say it ain't so!
lodzinski
BHS is still pretty profitable, and i think arcadia will retain it for the time being. It is not the weakest link in that group by any means.

I have to agree, I can't see Bhs being dropped. Out of interest, lodzinski, what do you think is the weakest link in that group?
Reply 84
Crap! I just remembered that I wanted to get a job during the summer holidays but with all the stores going under thats not going to happen now is it. :frown:
I reckon Monsoon will go. It's so overpriced and the quality seems to have reduced greatly in the past year or so.

Also, Klick Photopoint, Max Spielmann and Jessops. I used to work in Klick/Max Spielmann (they're owned by the same company) and trade was already slow when I was there two years ago. Now my local Klick has closed and I expect Max Spielmann will be next. Jessops has also been struggling for a while.
Reply 86
PC World and similar companies. Wouldn't want them to due to the high amounts of jobs that will be lost, however I do want this particular laptop to dramatically drop in price :smile:
h82think
WHSmith are next to go!

was about to post this :smile:
apparently they are not doing too good...
Reply 88
rollover, pudding
overheard someone in town saying zavvi's closing down.

omg went to a big woolies the other day. it's so scary, there's NOTHING.

it's quite sad, really. they were even selling the fixtures and the shelves :C

Yeah, but keep it to yourself. Can't have everyone knowing.
ashy
Yeah, but keep it to yourself. Can't have everyone knowing.

haha xD
apparently wedgewood have just gone into administration as well

i reckon PC world will stay, as will monsoon but zavvi will go
Reply 91
Colbert
The Zavvi in Exeter seem to be ignoring any thoughts about administration as everything is still well overpriced, only the usual tat is on sale which you would expect in January. Went there yesterday hoping for some bargains...didn't happen :frown:

I looked in the Exeter store as well and everything still seemed to be overpriced.
PC World will go, they've had to slash a lot of their prices because places online are cheaper, and they have a price promise/price match too.

B&Q are doing a lot better than they were - people can't afford to move house now, so they are changing what they have. They are also taking on more staff.

JJB, sadly. I have a friend that works there and he can't afford not to have a job.
Cortez
I looked in the Exeter store as well and everything still seemed to be overpriced.

I spent most of the day shopping on Exeter high street yesterday and it didn't appear than anyone was showing the effects of a recession/possible administration.

No massive clearouts or suchlike, just places like Next trying to flog the :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: they've kept in storage for a year pretending it's on sale :shifty:
Well, my aunty works at tesco head office, and she was saying they are really struggling atm. They are still making a profit, but a lot less. They are having problems with suppliers, and cash flow, I think.
I'm not sure if this is public knowledge, but apparently they are thinking of making 25% of their head office staff redundant!
Reply 95
Perfectly_Imperfect
Well, my aunty works at tesco head office, and she was saying they are really struggling atm. They are still making a profit, but a lot less. They are having problems with suppliers, and cash flow, I think.
I'm not sure if this is public knowledge, but apparently they are thinking of making 25% of their head office staff redundant!

Problem with Tesco is, they are too big for their own good.

Cash flow shouldn't be a problem for a company like Tesco, they get their money from the customer immediately, while they pay their suppliers at least 30 days later.

But they've been in such a drive to expand recently, new stores in the UK, just build a couple of them here in Edinburgh, then new product lines, and then the huge financial commitment in the USA.

Then, apparently, their discounter brand strategy doesn't pay off too well. Who ever came up with that idea should get fired, that was so against their core strategy...
Reply 96
c2uk

Then, apparently, their discounter brand strategy doesn't pay off too well. Who ever came up with that idea should get fired, that was so against their core strategy...

Yeah that was really stupid. I thought it was the odd unknown brand names that put some people off Lidl and Aldi so why copy the part of the discounters that people don't like. They should have just lowered the price of their own brand stuff.
A favourite blogger of mine, Diamond Geezer has compiled a Retail Death List of 2009 based on his predictions and I've also done one on my blog.

The idea is that everyone nominates one high street chain that they feel won't survive until the end of 2009 and then we can see how right you are.

My prediction is going to be Homebase.

TSR Retail Death List '09
- Jessops
- Clinton Cards
- WHSmith
- DSG Group (Currys, PC World)
- Monsoon
- Homebase
- JJB Sports
- BHS
Wow, depressing.
Reply 99
I doubt BHS will. Its part of the Arcadia group owned by entrepreneur Phillip Green. He owns Topshop, Topman, Burtons, Selfridges etc...

They have large backing and I feel they will be fine. They are well placed to weather the financial storm.

Latest

Trending

Trending