The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LadyJaneGrey
Wear a wedding ring...apparantly people (especially people in Christian countries) respect that and should generally leave you alone.

What is it with the wedding ring comment? I would have never come up with that kind of advice.

Well I am actually from South America (Chile) ... so if you have any specific questions PM me. I haven't been to Tierra del Fuego or Torres del Paine but I have been up north in the desert.

I don't think there are major problems with travelling on your own. Most of the times you will meet people along the way and perhaps meet the same ones in more than place.

I would recommend you learn a little bit of Spanish before you go there. It will be VERY useful as not very many people speak English. The teach yourself Spanish conversation CD might help. Get the Latin American Spanish version though. Also, have an idea of prices because it is often the case that foreigners get charged a lot more for some services or goods. So.. bargain your price!

Do some research on the cities you are visiting to know what places to avoid. Try and stick to hostels with good reviews. Most places in South America are not precisely dangerous, the general rule is that you have to be alert. Pick pockets or criminals target those who are distracted. So be alert and don't attract attention by wearing flashy things or by having your photo camera around your neck.

In regards of the 'machista' connotation of S.America... it will vary from country to country. You will have to accept that men will sometimes make remarks or stare at you. However, this does not mean that they will try to rape you or anything similar. Don't get intimidated by this behaviour, it doesn't really go beyond a compliment or staring. Also, be aware that people are quite friendly and generally personal space is a lot smaller than in Europe. Kissing to greet people is common between men and women and between women. In Argentina men kiss too. This is just cultural and does not have a sexual connotation. A friendly hug or a kiss on the cheek is just a friendly practice.

Well... hope this helps.
triciclo
What is it with the wedding ring comment? I would have never come up with that kind of advice.

Really? Many people/books have said that to me. It makes sense too I guess :frown:
Reply 22
misleading title after misleading title...
Reply 23
QuantumTheory
All of these misleading thread titles lately.

Or is it just me? :awesome:

Not just you.
Reply 24
LadyJaneGrey
Really? Many people/books have said that to me. It makes sense too I guess :frown:

Don't take it personal though! It just wouldn't be on my list of recommendations.
Yusuf.T
hahahaha :awesome:

i would rep you but you have to be hot :h:

a) I'm offended.
b) Your rep's worthless to me.
And c) Clearly you've never seen the knickers thread :awesome:
Thanks for all the advice - wedding ring is a good tip!

triciclo - thanks for the indepth advice! Very appreciated!
Reply 27
triciclo

Well I am actually from South America (Chile) ... so if you have any specific questions PM me. I haven't been to Tierra del Fuego or Torres del Paine but I have been up north in the desert.

I don't think there are major problems with travelling on your own. Most of the times you will meet people along the way and perhaps meet the same ones in more than place.

I would recommend you learn a little bit of Spanish before you go there. It will be VERY useful as not very many people speak English. The teach yourself Spanish conversation CD might help. Get the Latin American Spanish version though. Also, have an idea of prices because it is often the case that foreigners get charged a lot more for some services or goods. So.. bargain your price!

Do some research on the cities you are visiting to know what places to avoid. Try and stick to hostels with good reviews. Most places in South America are not precisely dangerous, the general rule is that you have to be alert. Pick pockets or criminals target those who are distracted. So be alert and don't attract attention by wearing flashy things or by having your photo camera around your neck.

In regards of the 'machista' connotation of S.America... it will vary from country to country. You will have to accept that men will sometimes make remarks or stare at you. However, this does not mean that they will try to rape you or anything similar. Don't get intimidated by this behaviour, it doesn't really go beyond a compliment or staring. Also, be aware that people are quite friendly and generally personal space is a lot smaller than in Europe. Kissing to greet people is common between men and women and between women. In Argentina men kiss too. This is just cultural and does not have a sexual connotation. A friendly hug or a kiss on the cheek is just a friendly practice.

Well... hope this helps.

Hi, I'm also travelling to SA on my own. What would you say attitudes to foreign people are? I'm Malaysian but look Chinese. Are people likely to stare or shout at me?

OP: My itinerary is in the gap year section entitled "7 months in SA - too ambitious" just for your info. I think a rough plan like mine is a good idea. I'm also cacking it so don't worry, you're not alone.

If you like, it would be cool to email you whilst I'm away so we can chat about experiences whilst we're both out there, at least for the first month? PM me if you like.
my friend that I was travelling with is english but has vietnamese parents, she was aright, people used to say 'chino' quite alot when she walked past but that was about it.
Reply 29
aaloo
Hi, I'm also travelling to SA on my own. What would you say attitudes to foreign people are? I'm Malaysian but look Chinese. Are people likely to stare or shout at me?

OP: My itinerary is in the gap year section entitled "7 months in SA - too ambitious" just for your info. I think a rough plan like mine is a good idea. I'm also cacking it so don't worry, you're not alone.

If you like, it would be cool to email you whilst I'm away so we can chat about experiences whilst we're both out there, at least for the first month? PM me if you like.

thesuperficial
my friend that I was travelling with is english but has vietnamese parents, she was aright, people used to say 'chino' quite alot when she walked past but that was about it.

I don't think there is a major problem. I can talk about Chile with greater security though... people in Chile tend to like foreign people and be quite friendly. Although, as thesuperficial pointed out, they might refer to you as 'chino/a' which means 'chinese'. It mainly refers to looks though and it is based on a little bit of naive ignorance. Don't take this as an offence as people don't mean anything negative by it. Actually, it is a common nickname amongs chileans. In chile at least, there aren't many asian looking (of all sorts) people. There is a sector in Santiago with a significant Korean community but it does probably not amount to more than 1500 or 2000 people. So, in Chile... it might be more likely for people to stare... but don't take it personal... it's just that for a lot of peoplyour looks might be exotic and unusual. However, In places like Peru, and especially in Brazil there is a larger asian-looking (chinese looking) community. They are mainly Japanese though but also Chinese. In fact, in Brazil there is just about every ethnic background you can imagine. So I doubt they will stare much.

As said before, try and learn some Spanish (useful in every place apart from Brazil... but even of use in that country too). The more Spanish you speak the more you will be able to interact with locals. My ex-housemate (English) went to Chile and spoke a little Spanish... and with some English too he met a few Chileans who took him out for like 4 nights in a row... just like that...

Good luck!
Reply 30
Oh... by the way... in regards to bargaining prices... it's more in informal commerce or in some turisty places. It will also depend on the country. Play it by ear... If you are in a city and the prices are listed by the goods... it means you are getting the same deal as everyone so might not be a good idea to bargain. But when you have to ASK in order to find out the price, this is when you might get charged a lot more.
Reply 31
I'm sure you will find plenty travellers in the places that you are going. At your volunteer placement even if you don't meet anyone to travel with you should find some contacts and settle a bit in SA before you are completely alone. A friend of mine had a great time in SA and met Europeans all over who shared advice etc. I'm also hoping to head there in my gap year and as a whiter than white blonde girl it could prove 'interesting'
Reply 32
Hostels are great ways of meeting people. Maybe doing a tour for part of the time would be good for you. Then you could meet people and feel safe, also means you would spent so long on your own.

Latest