The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
darkenergy
Our school invited in a Labour MP to give us a talk and he was talking how Grammar Schools should be abolished because if our Grammar school was converted to a Comprehensive, we would apparently do one grade better at GCSE. What a load of rubbish.

The person giving you the talk would have had the research to back up what he/she was saying.

It is a shame none of you asked to see it rather than dismissing it as a load of rubbish - hardly indicative of an enquiring mind that one would expect to see in someone who is at a grammar school. :wink:

So perhaps the MP was right! - actually all the research that has been done shows that the most able children (ie top 2%) do much better at comprehensives. This suggests that grammar schools (not all of them, but most) just allow their pupils to coast along, achieving results above average which is to be expected of pupils of above average ability, without making more determined efforts to provide a challenging education.

If comps can get more than half their pupils passing 5 A*- C grades at GCSE despite having having less than 25% in the top quartile then they are doing a better job than grammars which can't get ALL their pupils reaching the same benchmark from all of the top quartile.
Reply 81
yawn
The person giving you the talk would have had the research to back up what he/she was saying.

It is a shame none of you asked to see it rather than dismissing it as a load of rubbish - hardly indicative of an enquiring mind that one would expect to see in someone who is at a grammar school. :wink:

So perhaps the MP was right! - actually all the research that has been done shows that the most able children (ie top 2%) do much better at comprehensives. This suggests that grammar schools (not all of them, but most) just allow their pupils to coast along, achieving results above average which is to be expected of pupils of above average ability, without making more determined efforts to provide a challenging education.

If comps can get more than half their pupils passing 5 A*- C grades at GCSE despite having having less than 25% in the top quartile then they are doing a better job than grammars which can't get ALL their pupils reaching the same benchmark from all of the top quartile.

it suggests nothing of the sort.

its time you stuck to facts not supposition.

please enlighten us all on these pass figures you speak of in your last paragraph.
yawn

but the statistics used by grammars and comprehensives are different.

Comprehensive schools take into account only 5A* - C grades at GCSE as you said, and this is achieved by every grammar school, as we take at least 10 GCSE's, so it is not exactly rocket science to only pass 5 of them, probably in sport science, food technology, and 3 other [insert crappy subjects here].

Grammar schools take into account % of people gaining all A* - C grades at GCSE which is twice as hard as only obtaining 5A* - C grades.

However, I do agree with you that the standards achieved by Grammar schools are still too low. Having 100% in 10A*-C grades at GCSE tells you nothing on the intelligence of the students, as any dumb person can literally pick up 10C's at GCSE. Therefore, it is logical to say having, for example, 80% in A* - A, tell you about the overall performance of the school. Although you are quite correct that Grammar schools are actually underachieving, this is true. You can find lots of people dossing around in Grammar schools failing subjects like Mickey Mouse studies. Even if grammar schools are underachieving, they are still doing much better than comprehensives.
yawn

How can schools provide a more challenging education when the schools play no role in deciding what is included in the syllabi of the subjects, i.e. what should be in the National Curriculum. You cannot providing more help to students if you have taught all your students the notes they need to achieve top grades.
Furthermore, if I go to a comprehensive school now, I will still achieve what I will achieve when in a Grammar school.
Reply 85
technik

please enlighten us all on these pass figures you speak of in your last paragraph.

Waste of time debating with someone such as yourself on this matter.

You refute anything that does not support your preconceptions.
Reply 86
darkenergy
How can schools provide a more challenging education when the schools play no role in deciding what is included in the syllabi of the subjects, i.e. what should be in the National Curriculum. You cannot providing more help to students if you have taught all your students the notes they need to achieve top grades.

That is my point - grammars in the main just restrict themselves to teaching to the exam ceiling despite having the top quartile in their schools.

They need to challenge to ensure that their students are studying subjects in more depth and breadth - providing enhanced curriculum.

Have a look at the websites for the teaching of the 'gifted' and see what they suggest - most schools, including grammars don't really challenge students enough, they are far more capable than most teachers realise. And it makes me angry that generations of students are being denied the best possible education that could be provided if there was not so much empathsis on league tables etc. When you have published performance league tables educational standards suffer because the schools teach to the means of staying at the top of the table - which does not in any way tell the whole story about the all round success of a school and especially the wonderful achievements made by those who would have been consigned to the depths of education abysses. :frown:
Reply 87
technik

You are making fatuous statements - you cannot back up what you say. I can, and I have in many threads on this forum but I am not prepared to do it for you - you can remain in ignorance if you are too lazy to do your own research. :wink:
Reply 88
darkenergy
Furthermore, if I go to a comprehensive school now, I will still achieve what I will achieve when in a Grammar school.

Precisely my point - but you may in fact achieve much more in a comprehensive, especially if you come within the top 2% of the population!
Reply 89
yawn
Waste of time debating with someone such as yourself on this matter.

You refute anything that does not support your preconceptions.

that'll be a "no" to my request then?

very well.
Reply 90
ok ive been to two grammars and a private school.

1) Not all people in grammars are clever, it is surprising how many d*ckheads pass the 11+ and are thick as sh*t.

2) It is not beyond a comprehensive pupil to go and buy another book or two to reinforce what they are being taught at school to help them.

3) Not all grammars are excellent.

4) If one person having a grammar education in contrast to someone with a comprehensice education is not right, then surely it could be argued that a toilet cleaner should receive the same salary as someone on £25k a year.

Truth is - life isnt fair and people just have to live with it. Exams dont test intelligence, they test memory and intelligence can be seen by having a simple conversation with someone (hence why oxbridge have interviews).
Reply 91
yawn
Precisely my point - but you may in fact achieve much more in a comprehensive, especially if you come within the top 2% of the population!

Hye yawn- im in kent too. What school(s) did you go to?
Reply 92
yawn
You are making fatuous statements - you cannot back up what you say. I can, and I have in many threads on this forum but I am not prepared to do it for you - you can remain in ignorance if you are too lazy to do your own research. :wink:

rather convenient that...

i dont think you like being challenged. you posted some figures earlier in the thread which i countered with more recent and more in-depth ones. now, all you have left is stuff like "i have the evidence, i'll just not post it".

had enough of this tripe thread.
Reply 93
technik
rather convenient that...

i dont think you like being challenged. you posted some figures earlier in the thread which i countered with more recent and more in-depth ones.

Your figures were not even correlated, whereas mine were, so were more 'in-depth'. I already explained that there would be not great changes over the space of four-five years on results statistics as all the mentioned countries would be expected to have improved on results in much the same ratios.

I can't take responsibility for your inability to analyse statistics in a balanced way.
Reply 94
melbourne
Hye yawn- im in kent too. What school(s) did you go to?

I didn't go to school in Kent, thank God! I went to school in London. However, younger members of my extended family go to Kent schools in Thanet, and I'm proud to say they go to a comprehensive - as much as a Kent school can be all-ability with the presence of grammars 'creaming off' the top quartile.

In fact one of the family is at Cambridge and another will be applying to Oxford. They are very bright and would not do as well in a grammar as Kent's grammars are terrible considering the intake.

I appreciate that in areas where there are very few grammars, the intake will usually comprise the top 10% ability range because of the large geographical area they must cover - and one would expect them to do well by their students, but that in no way excuses the mediocrity of the vast numbers of grammars.
yawn
That is my point - grammars in the main just restrict themselves to teaching to the exam ceiling despite having the top quartile in their schools.

They need to challenge to ensure that their students are studying subjects in more depth and breadth - providing enhanced curriculum.

Have a look at the websites for the teaching of the 'gifted' and see what they suggest - most schools, including grammars don't really challenge students enough, they are far more capable than most teachers realise. And it makes me angry that generations of students are being denied the best possible education that could be provided if there was not so much empathsis on league tables etc. When you have published performance league tables educational standards suffer because the schools teach to the means of staying at the top of the table - which does not in any way tell the whole story about the all round success of a school and especially the wonderful achievements made by those who would have been consigned to the depths of education abysses. :frown:

What you said is true. However, how do comprehensive schools provide more challenging education, when they teach the same syllabi, and following the same national curriculum as Grammar schools?
yawn

I am still confused, how can I achieve better results if I go to a comprehensive? :confused:
Reply 97
darkenergy
What you said is true. However, how do comprehensive schools provide more challenging education, when they teach the same syllabi, and following the same national curriculum as Grammar schools?

I didn't say that comps provide a more challenging education that grammars, I said that all schools should challenge. You would expect grammars to challenge their students more as all their students are in the top quartile.

However, in the case of the top 2% ability range, comps obviously manage to provide that challenge in some way as this group achieve much more than they do in grammars.
Yes all schools should provide a more challenging education, but in reality, they cannot, because they gain nothing by teaching something that is not in the syllabus.

Are you saying that the top 2% of comprehensive students achieve more than the top 2% of Grammar schools'?
Reply 99
darkenergy
I am still confused, how can I achieve better results if I go to a comprehensive? :confused:

OK - let's put it this way.

A comprehensive school has a cohort of students taking GCSE's from the whole range of ability groupings, i.e. 25% from top quartile, 50% from median quartile and 25% from lower quartile.

If they have say, 60% of students getting the benchmark GCSE's this means that not only have all of the top quartile passed A*-C grades but also 35% of those from the median quartile.

In a grammar, 100% of their cohort would need to pass all at A*-C but very many of them fail to do this, instead lingering around the 94% - 98% mark and some much lower.

Latest

Trending

Trending