The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

Scroll to see replies

Hi !
I'm from Poland and I decided to study abroad. I choose UK, cause I know language and I have spent 9 months in Nottingham.
Film and Television production is something I want to do, so I wanted to ask you:
If you were me, which School would you choose? Something for Internationals? In London, in Notts? Where? And how high is possibility that there will be place for me?
I have an A level and small experience as an operator. I'm a student already.
Teesside Univerity are the best for TV/Film Production in north of England and with the impending move of the BBC to the north studying there could be a bonus. I'm going there in September and i can't wait. Brilliant uni campus, accomm and life plus the staff are amazing and the brand spanking new facilities are brilliant plus its SKILLSET!!!

they do interview and require a portfolio.
Reply 182
people, just curious are there unis at Scotland providing the same courses? CHeers!
Original post by AppleFangirl93
Teesside Univerity are the best for TV/Film Production in north of England and with the impending move of the BBC to the north studying there could be a bonus. I'm going there in September and i can't wait. Brilliant uni campus, accomm and life plus the staff are amazing and the brand spanking new facilities are brilliant plus its SKILLSET!!!

they do interview and require a portfolio.

Hey! I'm looking to do Film and Television there! From your comment I'm assuming that you've had an interview already.... Do you mind if I ask what sort of things do I need for an interview? And do you have any pointers?

Also, I'm really worried about the portfolio because I don't actually have any film (shorts, w/e) experience under my belt, but I do do photography, and I'm a writer in my spare time... should I just include examples of these?

Obviously if you haven't had an interview yet and don't know the answers dont feel obliged to reply! I'm just really worried about it >.<

Thanks!
Original post by novemberdied
Hey! I'm looking to do Film and Television there! From your comment I'm assuming that you've had an interview already.... Do you mind if I ask what sort of things do I need for an interview? And do you have any pointers?

Also, I'm really worried about the portfolio because I don't actually have any film (shorts, w/e) experience under my belt, but I do do photography, and I'm a writer in my spare time... should I just include examples of these?

Obviously if you haven't had an interview yet and don't know the answers dont feel obliged to reply! I'm just really worried about it >.<

Thanks!

Hey,

Maybe I can help you...

I live in Teesside and had this interview this time last year. I only chose it as a safe option but had heard nothing really good about. Personally, I believe there are better film courses in other unis up north.

The interview begins with a tour to the I.T suite where you watch a promotional video about the university's media courses. I arrived exactly on time but the tour had already begun early so I was taken to the group to catch up. We were then showed a production room and this was followed by the editing suites.

There were approximately eight or nine of us there for the interviews and they were done one by one, in order of who travelled farthest. I had to wait over an hour. :frown:

The interview was in a little cramped office and there were two interviewers - a man and a woman for me. The interviewer was very patronising and seemed to make up his questions as he went along. He didn't want to see any of my portfolio and just asked me to describe a short film I made at college which was pretty awkward. He then asked me what I was studying at college and what the courses were like. He wanted to know what I was currently doing in Media Studies.

Lastly he said that within a couple of days I would receive a response from the university within a couple of days and I must respond immediately as places are highly sought after. Then it was over. Only lasted about three minutes. I never responded at all and there were still places on this course in Clearing.

So, if you get an interview here don't stress too much as it is really relaxed and informal. And don't prepare your portfolio too much as the likelihood is they won't have the room or facilities too view it.

I hope I haven't put you off as the current student we met on the tour seemed pleased with the course. Maybe the tour guide was just having an off day. :colondollar:
Reply 185
I'm looking to partake the most practical course possible that doesn't have any exams. Mostly I want to train to become a camera operator/DOP.

So far I've concluded that my best options are AUCB, Newport, Hertfordshire and Gloucestershire.

I'm now tied between a few lingering courses as my 5th option. Not sure to go with Westminster, Bournemouth, Staffordshire or Ravensbourne.

Can anyone help me narrow my search down?
Reply 186
If you're looking for something really practical I'd avoid Westminister. Its a good course but it's 50-50 academic work to practical so might not be what you want.
Reply 187
Cheers! Well I went to Ravensbourne yesterday, and I wasn't impressed with the open plan of the building. Being able to hear a lecture next to where you're lecture will be would be very distracting! So now I'm down to Bournemouth's course that is in Wiltshire or Staffordshire. Both are pretty simular, but Bournemouth is more reputable I believe.
My brother did film and tv at Edge hill, its a dossers uni and dog**** lecturers, equipment...
Last year i turned down ravensbourne, bournemouth and portsmouth to come to Herts, its light years ahead of most and but not massively well known. Good lecturers, loads of excellent equipment and leading the way with links into the industry.
Also skilset accredited
The bournemouth Film course is at sailsbury at the woefully under staff and under equiped. you have bog all to do with Bournemouth other than when you pick up the degree, avoid like the plague!!!!
Original post by novemberdied

Thanks!

yeah i have had an interview - only 20 mins with a man and woman they were so nice. i didnt have any film stuff either - just put together artwork, photos, stories, storyboards and a script and got an offer the same day. they bring up stuff you've written in you personal statement so memorise everything you wanna say. they also talk about your a levels and finish with a tour of the facilities.

hope that helped - good luck! :smile:
Reply 191
Ive applied to some of these courses, and just wanted to see this forums opinion on them. I have got past experience in film, so take that into account. Also, I don't want to leave the north:-
Sheffield Hallam - Film and Media Production
Nottingham Trent - Media
Liverpool John Moores - Broadcast and Media Production
Leeds Met - Film and Moving image Production
Edge Hill - Film and TV Production
Bradford - Media Technology and Production

Could someone put them in order, best to worst?

Any suggested good courses in the north?

Thanks
Reply 192
Original post by Ludvik
Cheers! Well I went to Ravensbourne yesterday, and I wasn't impressed with the open plan of the building. Being able to hear a lecture next to where you're lecture will be would be very distracting! So now I'm down to Bournemouth's course that is in Wiltshire or Staffordshire. Both are pretty simular, but Bournemouth is more reputable I believe.

Hi there! Sorry to butt in, but I noticed your mentioning of Ravensbourne. I completed a Foundation in Media Production at Ravensbourne last year, which led to me progressing on to the FdA Broadcast Operations degree course this year.

With regards to the new building - there are many, many problems with it. I'm a student representative and we're trying extremely hard to resolve all of the problems that students and staff are currently experiencing. We've had meetings, discussions and arguments - we're making progress, but it's slow. I know the whole concept of the building is quite pretentious, but the idea of promoting collaboration is quite good. And it works.

Ok, I'm done. Apologies for going off topic!
Hello. Is there a list of top universities that provide Film and Television Production Undergraduate course?I've been trying to find a list but to no avail. Btw, I live outside of the UK.I did however have University of York and University of Bradford in mind but I'm not sure how they rank within this specific course.
bournemouth, herts or gloucester?? i've gotten an offer from all 3 school...i've been to bournemouth and gloucester to take a look...i love bournemouth uni and the media school but the town seems pretty dead in winter, they have very nice beach thou...
gloucester is nice a beautiful town but the uni seem quite lifeless...the campus is beautiful and all the new equipment is very tempting..
haven't been to herts but it sound really good with apple cert and all...also from pictures, herts looks like a lovely town too...
pretty torn in between...
oh and do anyone know of any media scholarship that any company offer to oversea student? I'm from Singapore.
What did you apply to Gloucestershire for, Television Production or Digital Film Production?
Reply 196
Bournemouth. Ravensbourne.

/end
Original post by LastLordofTime

Original post by LastLordofTime
What did you apply to Gloucestershire for, Television Production or Digital Film Production?

television production for gloucester
television production for bournemouth
BA (Hons) Film and Television Fiction for herts
Reply 198
Original post by francinesakura

I will help u a little bit.

If u are intrested in Film and Tv, go to herts, if u are intrested only in tv production choose bournemouth or gloucester by looking at what modules suits u best.
Original post by francinesakura

Cool :smile: TV Production at Gloucestershire is getting an upgrade next year, with the move to a new campus. We'll be getting a brand new studio as well as introducing Apple Certification later on in the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending