The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Mr.Driscoll
Westminster University defiantly interests me! But im looking to do a TV production course, as my main ambition is to work in TV and maybe cross into film. Do you know if the TV Production course at Westminster is any good? and if it has a high employment rate into the television industry after graduation? :smile:
BA Television Production course here at Westminster isn't so great as far as I'm aware. I have heard it's pretty easy to get in this course since they require way less than what they require from BA Film & TV Production students. I have heard that Bournemouth University has the best TV Production course in UK, so you should probably try to apply there. But do not come here to do BA Film&TV if you prefer to do more TV stuff... Our BA in Film&TV Production is about 95% Film, 5% TV.
Reply 301
I applied to Bournemouth, Staffordshire, Nottingham and Nottingham Trent. Reading this thread, I guess I can pretty much cross out Bournemouth, right?
I have no actual experience - yes I like to goof around by myself, but I've never studied it or had any real work to show. Also, being from Narnia basically, I have no idea what my UCAS tariff is going to be.

Aghh. Maybe I should withdraw one of my applications and apply to somewhere else :biggrin:
Reply 302
Original post by chessu
I applied to Bournemouth, Staffordshire, Nottingham and Nottingham Trent. Reading this thread, I guess I can pretty much cross out Bournemouth, right?
I have no actual experience - yes I like to goof around by myself, but I've never studied it or had any real work to show. Also, being from Narnia basically, I have no idea what my UCAS tariff is going to be.

Aghh. Maybe I should withdraw one of my applications and apply to somewhere else :biggrin:

What course do you want? TV or Film?
Reply 303
Original post by morris743
What course do you want? TV or Film?

TBH, they both appeal to me. I get that they're somewhat different, but I figured both of them should have a fair share of people, managing and production skills studies. As far as I can study that, I don't really care whether it's a film or a tv show.
The courses I chose have both, combined headings, but also just media aswell, so if all went well I could make the final choice a bit later.
Apparently Bedfordshire has amazing facilities for that kind of thing.
Reply 305
One of the courses in BU might need a portfolio, which might be a problem.. I don't know now.. maybe I REALLY should consider changing my choice before they send me an answer.. If it's so tough to get in, maybe it'd be better to consider something else. But then again, they'll get my application even later and there might not be any places left anyway..

F.e, Bedforshire, I checked out the courses, they look interesting, but a lot alike. Which course would you specifically recommend?
Original post by JohnnyA
BA Television Production course here at Westminster isn't so great as far as I'm aware. I have heard it's pretty easy to get in this course since they require way less than what they require from BA Film & TV Production students. I have heard that Bournemouth University has the best TV Production course in UK, so you should probably try to apply there. But do not come here to do BA Film&TV if you prefer to do more TV stuff... Our BA in Film&TV Production is about 95% Film, 5% TV.

Yeah I have looked on the website and you don't need a portfolio or anything specific like that to get into the BA Television Production course at Westminster. Yeah Bournemouth Uni for TV Production is defiantly one I will apply for, but I would rather study near or in London as there are many more opportunities for experience (runner job, etc) than in Bournemouth.
I was thinking of Herts Uni, Ravensbourne, Bournemouth, Westminster and London Arts Uni :smile:
Through Westminster Uni have you got any work placements yet, or any jobs in the industry? And is the Harrow campus any good?
Reply 307
Original post by littleone271
Apparently Bedfordshire has amazing facilities for that kind of thing.

Yeh. Just a shame about the university on the whole and where it is located. The facilities aren't worth it.
Reply 308
Original post by chessu
TBH, they both appeal to me. I get that they're somewhat different, but I figured both of them should have a fair share of people, managing and production skills studies. As far as I can study that, I don't really care whether it's a film or a tv show.
The courses I chose have both, combined headings, but also just media aswell, so if all went well I could make the final choice a bit later.

I only have knowledge from a Television side of things. And bearing this limited knowledge in mind, I'm not sure there are 'brilliant' combined Film and TV courses. Only one or the other. Hope I'm proven wrong, though.
Yeh. Just a shame about the university on the whole and where it is located. The facilities aren't worth it.

Yeah they don't have a particularly brilliant reputation although I don't think it's as bad as people say. What's wrong with the location?
Reply 310
Yeah they don't have a particularly brilliant reputation although I don't think it's as bad as people say. What's wrong with the location?

It's Luton! Not a particuarly nice place.
It's Luton! Not a particuarly nice place.

Well.. I don't think Luton is THAT bad... Have you seen the new fitzroy court accommodation? If you havn't then check it out. It's actually AMAZING, they've got leather sofas, nice kitchens, a gym, en suites etc. You get a lot for your money.

I applied to East London which is another university with very good facilities and I went to see it but I didn't like the vibes in stratford and the commute between the campus and the halls so it's kinda gone to the bottom of my list mainly because of that. I think the most important thing for location is that the halls are close by as well as lots of affordable houses for the 2nd and 3rd years.

I'm going to an applicants only open day at luton campus next month so I can get a proper feel of it... I love the sound of the course (psychology with criminal behaviour) and they've sent me a REALLY nice e-mail written by students telling me all about the course and what they learn and how good the lecturers are at supporting them. Having said this, they do have a 20% drop out rate lol
Reply 312
Well.. I don't think Luton is THAT bad... Have you seen the new fitzroy court accommodation? If you havn't then check it out. It's actually AMAZING, they've got leather sofas, nice kitchens, a gym, en suites etc. You get a lot for your money.

Hmm. Fair enough but the town is quite dodgy at times. Especially if you're going on a night out. I'm not intending to put a place down, I'm thinking of your safety. Yes you could go out in Luton 100 times and nothing happen, but the 101st time may yield more of a chance of it happening seeing as it is Luton. I am aware it isn't just Luton with issues, but in this context I'm telling it how I see it :biggrin: :smile:
Hmm. Fair enough but the town is quite dodgy at times. Especially if you're going on a night out. I'm not intending to put a place down, I'm thinking of your safety. Yes you could go out in Luton 100 times and nothing happen, but the 101st time may yield more of a chance of it happening seeing as it is Luton. I am aware it isn't just Luton with issues, but in this context I'm telling it how I see it :biggrin: :smile:

Yeah it's a fair point but I think it's important to go and have a look around and get a feel for the place before making judgements. I live in quite a posh area and I've seen someone get their face slashed with a stanley knife in a local nightclub among various other incidents so I think you can run into trouble anywhere really. There are too many other things to consider when choosing universities to spend too much time worrying about the local chav population in my opinion.

What do you think of portsmouth and southampton (solent area)?
Reply 314
I've no real knowledge of the course, but I know the Studio Manager at Royal Holloway, London (rhul.ac.uk) - and the set-up they have there seems impressive enough.

Worth looking into at least.
I will look into that, thank you :smile:

Does anyone know if the BSc (Hons) Television Production course at UCLAN University is any good? To me it looks great! I know that BSc may lack a bit on the creative side compared to a BA but the technical side of production is very important, plus the skills learn on composition help greatly for camera operating and post-production roles!
Reply 316
So I got in to Staffordshire to study Film, Television and Radio Studies and to Bournemouth University (not AUCB) to study TV production. Still waiting on Nottingham.
I read through most of this thread and the opinions on BU are so different, also half of the time I didn't get whether it was BU or AUCB people were talking about. So anyone with any recommendations about BU or Staffordshire - please, share your thoughts with me :biggrin:
Reply 317
Original post by chessu
So I got in to Staffordshire to study Film, Television and Radio Studies and to Bournemouth University (not AUCB) to study TV production. Still waiting on Nottingham.
I read through most of this thread and the opinions on BU are so different, also half of the time I didn't get whether it was BU or AUCB people were talking about. So anyone with any recommendations about BU or Staffordshire - please, share your thoughts with me :biggrin:

Wow congrats on the offer for Bournemouth TV Production :smile: That is a tough course to get onto and very, very well respected in the TV industry. I'd think very carefully before turning it down.
Reply 318
Wow congrats on the offer for Bournemouth TV Production :smile: That is a tough course to get onto and very, very well respected in the TV industry. I'd think very carefully before turning it down.

Well, I haven't gotten in just yet. They want my average grade to be 4.8/5.0, but it's already impossible for me to reach that (so techincally, I'm not in, but my statement and interview obviously were good enough for them, so I consider this a success already :biggrin:). I wrote to them, asking if it would be possible to lower the grade to 4.7, which I could reach, so fingers crossed :biggrin: It is currently my first choice.
Reply 319
Original post by chessu
Well, I haven't gotten in just yet. They want my average grade to be 4.8/5.0, but it's already impossible for me to reach that (so techincally, I'm not in, but my statement and interview obviously were good enough for them, so I consider this a success already :biggrin:). I wrote to them, asking if it would be possible to lower the grade to 4.7, which I could reach, so fingers crossed :biggrin: It is currently my first choice.

Nothing is impossible :smile: Just plot your course wisely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending