The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've heard that bournemouth is excellent for film, but I remember looking up the course on the internet and it specifically said that they were looking for people with a bit of experience. This was no good for me, I was going from general knowledge of editing to this, and Ive heard rumors that its hard to get accepted there, but WELL worth it if you have the opportunity.

I, However, am heading for University Of Wales, Newport, which used to be a film school itself and very high-tech stuff. Im really looking forward to it.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 41
Yep I heard Newport is a great place too. I think I'm going to apply for Newport, UCA, Glamorgan and not sure between Bucks, Bournemouth, De monfort or checking out some of the ones people mentioned here that I haven't seen yet. I think I'll try for Bournemouth to see if I get in but if not I'm happy because I really like the UCA and Newport courses.
Reply 42
im currenty studying media production at winchester but the course isnt at all what is was made out to be so be careful AND DO YOUR RESEARCH. im actually withdrawing at the end of the week and am hoping to study film/tv production in the london area next year. any recomendations? ive looked into the london communiations college and westminster, altho the media campus for westminster isnt actually in london...
also yes bournmouth does seem to have a good rep but i looked around last year and didnt feel veryinspired, also they use mainly analogue equipment and there are no halls or a decent SU which might make things tricky first starting
Ahhh, this is useful! Sorry for bringing back a relatively old thread (not sure if that's frowned upon in TSR) but I thought it'd be better than starting a new one.

I'm having trouble deciding between UCLAN, De Montfort and Edge Hill for my insurance choices. After looking at some league tables Edge Hill is starting to drop out of the running but I'm still not too sure.

Also, my friend is having trouble choosing between New Bucks and UCLAN for insurance too.

Could anyone give us any extra information that might be useful? C:
Reply 44
anybody know which out of these course would be the best, which course out of Leeds tv production BBB, aberystwyth tv and film studies which is 240 points, chester tv production and media studes-240 points, westminster tv & film ABB or Westminster tv production BBB?
Baker02
anybody know which out of these course would be the best, which course out of Leeds tv production BBB, aberystwyth tv and film studies which is 240 points, chester tv production and media studes-240 points, westminster tv & film ABB or Westminster tv production BBB?

Well, since I have applied to two of yours. I would recommend Aberystwyth firstly, though it is called Film & TV Studies, the degree in 2010 is -very- customisable, you can choose to make it a lot more practical oriented, or a lot more theoretical oriented. Though you will have aspects of both regardless, currently I -think- Aber is my insurance, but I may be putting it as my Firm choice. Plus the grade req aren't too bad, listed as BBC (280 points) on the sight. I went to the open day and loved it! (:!

Leeds University TV PRoduction (I -think- it is now called Cinema & Photography, its the one I applied for at least, closest course I could find to it Film/TV Production). The course itself looks very good I have to admit, and it would be a very worthwhile first choice, plus it is in a great "student" city.

Chester University, I wouldn't personally recommend this place, I did look at degrees here in media/film/tv, and wasn't too impressed. The Uni is quite new itself, and I am not sure of the quality of the Uni, so perhaps an insurance?

Westminster is a good Uni for media/film/tv. I did apply there originally, but I decided against it, just because I thought living in the centre of London would be -very- expensive, though the night life would be amazing.

Any further questions, please feel to ask (:

Keep in mind the type of area/place you want to live as well. Aberystwyth is in quite a remote area of Wales, though the town itself is basically 35% Aber students, is an incentive to join! But if you prefer more metropolitan/city areas, I would suggest Westminster/Leeds. Your own preferece!
CherryGravy
Ahhh, this is useful! Sorry for bringing back a relatively old thread (not sure if that's frowned upon in TSR) but I thought it'd be better than starting a new one.

I'm having trouble deciding between UCLAN, De Montfort and Edge Hill for my insurance choices. After looking at some league tables Edge Hill is starting to drop out of the running but I'm still not too sure.

Also, my friend is having trouble choosing between New Bucks and UCLAN for insurance too.

Could anyone give us any extra information that might be useful? C:

The only one I really know of and would recommend would be UCLAN. The university is good for media and journalism courses, and I know a couple of people who have come out with a good degree from there. My only problem with it, would be the actual Uni itself. Though the courses appear to be good, I have heard some bad things about the Uni. But again, this is only from word of mouth. But if I had to choose an insurance out of those, I would suggest UCLaN. I was considering applying there myself, but only changed at the last minute.

May I ask what your first choice is out of interest? (:
FTstudies
The only one I really know of and would recommend would be UCLAN. The university is good for media and journalism courses, and I know a couple of people who have come out with a good degree from there. My only problem with it, would be the actual Uni itself. Though the courses appear to be good, I have heard some bad things about the Uni. But again, this is only from word of mouth. But if I had to choose an insurance out of those, I would suggest UCLaN. I was considering applying there myself, but only changed at the last minute.

May I ask what your first choice is out of interest? (:

Ah, thanks :biggrin: I think I've been leaning more towards UCLAN anyway, but DMU keeps pulling me back with things like the fact it's that little bit closer to home. However, if UCLAN is more well-known (which it seems to be from the other comments in this thread) I'd go for that. What is it specifically about the uni you've heard? I'm pretty sure some things I'd be able to make do with for a good course, haha.

Bournemouth C: I nearly died when I got the offer, haha. I'm really gonna have to buckle down and study HARD this year.
Reply 48
FTstudies
Well, since I have applied to two of yours. I would recommend Aberystwyth firstly, though it is called Film & TV Studies, the degree in 2010 is -very- customisable, you can choose to make it a lot more practical oriented, or a lot more theoretical oriented. Though you will have aspects of both regardless, currently I -think- Aber is my insurance, but I may be putting it as my Firm choice. Plus the grade req aren't too bad, listed as BBC (280 points) on the sight. I went to the open day and loved it! (:!

Leeds University TV PRoduction (I -think- it is now called Cinema & Photography, its the one I applied for at least, closest course I could find to it Film/TV Production). The course itself looks very good I have to admit, and it would be a very worthwhile first choice, plus it is in a great "student" city.

Chester University, I wouldn't personally recommend this place, I did look at degrees here in media/film/tv, and wasn't too impressed. The Uni is quite new itself, and I am not sure of the quality of the Uni, so perhaps an insurance?

Westminster is a good Uni for media/film/tv. I did apply there originally, but I decided against it, just because I thought living in the centre of London would be -very- expensive, though the night life would be amazing.

Any further questions, please feel to ask (:

Keep in mind the type of area/place you want to live as well. Aberystwyth is in quite a remote area of Wales, though the town itself is basically 35% Aber students, is an incentive to join! But if you prefer more metropolitan/city areas, I would suggest Westminster/Leeds. Your own preferece!

yh i liked aberystwyth when i looked around it, do you have any idea what the nightlife is like there?
Baker02
yh i liked aberystwyth when i looked around it, do you have any idea what the nightlife is like there?

Quite good, although it is one town basically. The classic thing being "There are more pubs/clubs per student than any other city in Aber!" would be a good indication. So I would say not too shabby!
Reply 50
FTstudies

The Westminster campus that does Media courses is in Harrow, about 40minutes drive from central London.

You've already applied to other universities as I can see from your signature, but I thought I'd tell you anyway.
hey
ive got conditionals from porstmouth and new bucks, waiting for middlesex to get back to me BUT! i have an interview at solent and i need some help im unsure about the interview neva had one so anyone had one from there got any tips?
Reply 52
i have looked at York and it look like a good choice.

i looked at Gloucestershire online and it has a film studies. to what i understand that isn't film production, or is it? i cant seem to understand the difference hahaha.

i was also looking at bournemouth and UCA but, i hear bournemouth is one of the best, but i really havent heard anything from UCA, but it looks like a good programe, does anyone know about it?
For production Gloucestershire has Digital Film Production and Television Production (which I do). Film Studies is a different course.
Reply 54
i think im going to go with:
UCA, UCLAN, Bournemouth, Westminster and gloucestershire.

what do you guys think?
Reply 55
Hi,
I want to study film but would rather do the editing side of things. I've seen lots of different courses and to be honest theres too many to choose from.
I live in Bournemouth so will definitely apply there, however is it really all it's cracked up to be?
I would also quite like to get away from there, so I have been looking at Portsmouth. Can anyone tell me what the film course is like there?
I looked at Southampton online but was not too impressed.. Anyone know what it's like there?

Also any suggestions on other university's would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 56
Hey, I have a unconditional offer at Staffordshire uni, they offer year out for work experience and they have great equipment.
When I took a look they have a new HD studio, TV studio and a lot of computers which you can use anytime.
If you are interested in film I would highly request this one, the only problem is that it's in the middle of no-where.
Reply 57
Im going to Bournemouth in sept to study TV production - couldnt be happier, and when i looked round the facilities they were immense (much better than my last course) cause its the uks only centre for excellence in media practice.
Went to royal holloway last year and did media arts - its a good course and does focus on film & tv, not magazine media etc but i strongly felt they were more focused on the film part there and a lot of our work was about the avante guarde etc which put me off.
I had applied to westminster, chester, royal holloway, bournemouth and bradford last year (which i later withdrew from, dont even know why i applied) and considered gloucestershire & pompey through extra but settled on holloway. hope this helps :]
Hello there,

I need more opinions on film studies.

The thing is that I want to study the cinematography course. This means I am looking for the course which could teach me technical things: working with camera and the lightning especially. Is film production the right course for me?
My aim is to work as the director of photography. I’ve seen that many universities offer film&television courses but I do not want to work in television…
I’ve heard so many great opinions on Bournemouth’s courses. The ones which interest me are film production and cinematography+film production. However, people say that it is realllllllly hard to get there and since I do have very little experience I am sure I will not be accepted…
I am really miserable. What should I do? I’m afraid that I’ll be really disappointed if I see that the course is not like what I have expected really.
I want to touch, feel the world of cinema not only to see and talk about it.
Plus I do not want to move far from London (with an exception that Bournemouth will accept me :biggrin:). are there any really good courses on what I am looking for?

I would be grateful for any information :flower2:
Reply 59
Have a look at Westminster & royal holloway. RH is 40 mins from london and their media arts course (which I used to do) sounds pretty well suited to you. Westminsters decent for those types of things too but media courses are on the harrow campus which put me of big time..didn't like the area. hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending