The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
LastLordofTime
I'm doing BA Television Production at Gloucestershire, so I can tell you that it's a lovely town :smile: Lots of nice architecture with a lovely Regency (I think) building in the park (which is also a delight to film in during the autumn, or any time of year for that matter!)

However, the Screen Cultures course here seems to be mostly theoretical (looking at the course information page), so if you're looking for a practical course then it's probably not the right one. Wales and Sheffield Hallam both seem to be practical courses :smile:

Thx for ur reply mate !
Yeah even i thought abt the course at Gloucestershire sounds moreof theory .. So now its Wales vs sheffield hallam.. Is there any ex student from these univ... Your opinions are really appreciated !
Reply 101
JohnnyA
Thanks for sharing some thoughts about those universities I listed above. I would still like to know what do you think about LCC (London College of Communication) BA Film & TV course? The website of LCC makes the course sound good but still no one here really talks about this uni… I assume because people don't talk about it, it's not so great place to study (film production)?

Anyway now I have three places where I would like to apply:
1. AUCB
2. Westminster
3. Leeds Met

Can someone tell me how easy it's to get into these three universities if you have previous experience in film? I did read from Westminster's website that they have every year about 1000 students who wants to get in but they have only 58 places… Is it this hard to get into a university which teach film production?

I told you before I have done one year film making program here in Finland and now I'm doing one year photography course. Before these I did that media related academic year in Los Angeles. And about my experience with films I can say that I have directed/written several short films and my latest one (my graduation film) did even win some prizes. I know it's hard to say but what kind of chances do you think I have to get into these universities based on my previous experience?

This is my last question. Do these universities accept students without an interview? I mean could my previous studies, experience or portfolio be enough to get a place from AUCB for example?

I know what you mean! when i was researching lcc too, i was baffled that noone really talked about it. But the uni seems to have a good reputation - well they used to in the past but it's going down in the media. You hear tv report and news about lcc students going on strike or lecturers leaving. But then they have good alumni (especially in the arts and tv production department)

I have met few students that used to go to LCC. Most of them said the uni doesn't have campus atmosphere and the lecturers are barely there to help you or give you feedback. You get given your assignment and you go make it or break it! the only thing you get is your grade at the end of the project! But a few said that they coped with it because they have guest lecturers from reputational backgrounds like from BBC who come and share their knowledge.And because skillset is based there, a few students get chosen to make short films with a very huge fund (in a way, it's a good thing). But you have to fend for you and be totally independent. But then again, you will feel like your money has been wasted on lecturers who barely come in and teach what your money is worth.

ANNND, check this! LCC is pretty close to where i live in london. I went to check it out and it's literally a dump. it's in elephant and castle, probably the worst place to place a uni. I tell you someting, you won't feel inspired walking down dem road at night.

I guess the good thing about lcc is because it is skillset based so you know you might be up for some good funding to make a great stepping stone film. It's in london (hmmm, Elephant and castle!) You have great guest lecturers and....you are independent? (i don't know if that's a good thing or bad), if you are like me i, too, like to be left alone to do my work but, now and then, you need feedback and input in what they think of your work so that you can make the right edit.

Well i did apply for LCC but at the last minute i withdrawed because i just don't think it's right for me. Alarm bells were ringing when i went to the opening day and the students and lecturers looked dead. The students didn't even wanna talk and just wanted to go home. The lecturers kept lookign at their watch as i asked them questions and kept yawning.This is a creative environment, you shud be a bit more inspirational!

I dunno, weight the disadvantges and advantages. And decide if it's the right place for you.:wink:
Reply 102
granger-malfoy
That was a personal opionion of the place, you obvisouly had a better experience than her but i have been round that area didnt find it amazing tbh but that might be cose im a london girl.
I wouldnt go for a tv course if you want to do film becasue they arent going to touch on the subject how you would want them to just because they have awesome equipment because your not going to be as happy.
Yes bournemouth is well known for being "the best" but thats also means that they turn alot of people down for their grades rather than experience, again i know people who moved uni in the first year as they felt that it was over rated( again personal opinion on how the course and atmosphere was for them)
its hard to choose by not seeing them but make sure the course fits you first then choose between them on whether the equipment is good and the where it is england.

Alright fair enough, but i do have to disagree about aucb picking people for their grades rather than for expereince. Because i met a guy when i went for my interview. He is a failure academically, i mean d's and a few c's. But i saw his portfolio and he talked about his work experience, i mean it is pretty impressive. I got an email from him, telling me he got an offer (unconditional as well). I think they want to know that you put effort into your chosen career, either academically or experience wise. So they would have faith that you are likely to make it after uni.

But, i agree with you that AUCB might not be everyone cup of tea. Some want to be taught this way, another that way. Everyone has different point of view.
oh thanks for your reply asanni and I'm glad you shared your thoughts about LCC because it will be my main choice (well at the moment it would be).

I'm kinda disappointed now by your negative comment because I thought it was better, I didn't attend the open days at LCC because I couldn't but I arranged some meeting with colleges staff and they showed me the studios, equipment etc and I was kinda impressed because it looked like they've got something to offer. I didn't talk to the head of the course though...
yeah, the place of the college is terrible, Elephant and Castle is really dull and looks nothing like a good place for the students...though I am not looking for the good campus since I already live in London and I do not care that much.

I haven't got any other idea where I could study because London is the only place in England where I could settle down for the studies now.

and I'm applying straight after school so if I (possibly) do not get in I will do a short course or something related to film/television.

any opinions on Kingston courses though?
Reply 104
never forever
oh thanks for your reply asanni and I'm glad you shared your thoughts about LCC because it will be my main choice (well at the moment it would be).

I'm kinda disappointed now by your negative comment because I thought it was better, I didn't attend the open days at LCC because I couldn't but I arranged some meeting with colleges staff and they showed me the studios, equipment etc and I was kinda impressed because it looked like they've got something to offer. I didn't talk to the head of the course though...
yeah, the place of the college is terrible, Elephant and Castle is really dull and looks nothing like a good place for the students...though I am not looking for the good campus since I already live in London and I do not care that much.

I haven't got any other idea where I could study because London is the only place in England where I could settle down for the studies now.

and I'm applying straight after school so if I (possibly) do not get in I will do a short course or something related to film/television.

any opinions on Kingston courses though?

LCC is ideal for a certain kind of person. If u are the kind of person that knows what they are doing, talented, just wanna get on with their work, and love to be given opportunities to display their work through funding and meeting exciting people. Then LCC is perfect for you. They have impressive equipment and you wud have chances to make thousands of impression on respectable people from film/tv industry. It really depends on you.:yep:

Kingston? I don't really know. But a colleague from college applied there through ucas. He went there and said he was impressed with their equipment (he's doing animation). he liked the feel of it and it was his first choice. But he did say he was a bit scared because he thought the course might be too hard, especially after he saw some of the students' work (He's a bit lazy so i'm not that surprise!). But that's all i know about kingston.
hey, i work in kingston!
anyway i had look around since my teacher at college does animation and mates with a lecturer their, tbh i didnt like the place but thats just me but they are good with animation i have to admit.
I would recommend it not too far out from london but near enough and you have the best oceana EVER!
Reply 106
cpj1987
Let me know if you want any info about UCLan.

I'm interested in AUCB for film production right now but I need to have a look at other places too. Can you tell me a litttle about UCLan? Thank you
thecurators
Would you care to expand upon that a little? Do you mean just at Bradford, or in general?

I meant in general.
Good luck to all those that are getting their results today :smile:

If any of you are in the unfortunate position of missing your offers, there are (according to the website) places available for Television Production at the University of Gloucestershire in clearing.
Reply 109
Yh, good luck to everyone on their A levels!!!!
Hi,

Well I'm currently going into A2 and now starting to look at uni's in more detail. I am very keen to go on and study film production. Im currently very interested in AUCB but have also looked at Herts, Farnham and Westminster. Herts has caused me some confusion with their Film and TV Fiction course and wondered if anyone could clear up the whole fiction side of things for me. The course does look great though.

Basically, I want to try and stay south, although I have heard good things about UCLAN. I just wondered if anyone could give me some good advice/recommendations on Film production courses.

Thanks a lot. :smile:
nicholls22
Herts has caused me some confusion with their Film and TV Fiction course and wondered if anyone could clear up the whole fiction side of things for me. The course does look great though.

Hi there, I'm Deputy Programme Leader on the BA Film and Television degrees at Herts. Let me know what's confusing you and perhaps I can help! We have a new course website (still a work in progress!) which may also help at: http://www.thecurators.co.uk/main.html
Thanks a lot, will check the website out, and message back if I'm still in confusion.
Reply 113
Hello guys can anyone plz tell me about the MA in film program at University of wales.... Am joining this october ....
Reply 114
Im a bit worried reading all this because I feel like I've made a mistake. I've accepted a place at Greenwich Uni to do Film and Tv Production and now im thinking it might not be very good. However, if I work hard, surely it'll be ok? right? :s-smilie: Feeling like I need some reassurance. Haha.

Oh and if you want to go all out, I did a work shop at New York Film Academy in Los Angeles and their facilities are brilliant. If you don't mind studying abroad, check it out :smile:
Hollie:)
Im a bit worried reading all this because I feel like I've made a mistake. I've accepted a place at Greenwich Uni to do Film and Tv Production and now im thinking it might not be very good. However, if I work hard, surely it'll be ok? right? :s-smilie: Feeling like I need some reassurance. Haha.

Oh and if you want to go all out, I did a work shop at New York Film Academy in Los Angeles and their facilities are brilliant. If you don't mind studying abroad, check it out :smile:

hey dont worry yourself! i nearly did that but heard comments and kinda changed my mind which im happy i did otherwise i think i may not of chosen solent.
How much did it cost etc for this work shop you did? could you tell me abit more im interested!
people say Bournemouth is the best etc, when they say Bournemouth do they mean AUCB or just Bournemouth uni?
Pretty sure it's AUCB
Bournemouth Arts University College- Film Production. If you are looking to do a productive rather than theory-based course that is.
Does anyone know anything about the BA in Film Studies at Oxford Brookes? Looks partly theoretical, partly practical... But haven't heard much about the university :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending