The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

Scroll to see replies

RosieRayner
Bournemouth Arts University College- Film Production. If you are looking to do a productive rather than theory-based course that is.

Cheers :smile:

Im probably applying to AUCB, Herts, Westminster, and still deciding on a few more...

Any recommendations anyone?
Reply 121
Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying for Universities, I've currently picked Central Lancashire, Leeds Met and Sheffield Hallam, all of which in Film Production.

However I can't decide between University Campus Suffolk, University of Northampton and University of Derby, or even if these Universities are good for Film Production at all

I was going to apply at Bournemouth but I don't think I'd qualify due to what I have read from this thread.

Any suggestions?? Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 122
I have been looking at univeristies for presenting but am having trouble. :frown:
Does anyone know any good universities that offer this? One of my options is Portsmouth television and broadcasting which i love :smile: But haven't found any others....

as for bournemouth i have heard bad things about it. Apparently when you go they basically talk to you like you aren't good enough and will never get in. Put me off.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by bambs

as for bournemouth i have heard bad things about it. Apparently when you go they basically talk to you like you aren't good enough and will never get in. Put me off.

I never had that, in fact I had a half hour chat with the interviewer mostly about horror films.
Reply 124
Original post by Erin_Mairead
at the moment all i have chosen is

Middlesex and New Bucks

but i've heard bad things about them both

If you are interested in doing a course that focuses on being predominately practical, then Bournemouth and Portsmouth are good ones to look at.
Reply 125
HELLO! Maybe someone ones smth about filmmaking course in RSAMD? Very grateful!!! :smile:
Reply 126
Hello,

please help me to choose a course which would be best for learning camera work/cinematography.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Saturnas
(edited 13 years ago)
For film, or for TV?
Reply 128
Original post by LastLordofTime
For film, or for TV?

Is there a big difference in camera work for film and tv?

If there is, I would like to learn for both. But If I have to choose one, I would choose for film.
There's a difference in the way things get made.

But since I just do TV Production I can't offer any assistance with Film & TV or Film production courses.
Reply 130
Well thanks anyway.

Someone else maybe could?

Original post by Saturnas
Hello,

please help me to choose a course which would be best for learning camera work/cinematography for both film and tv/or only film.

Saturnas
Reply 131
Hello,

please help me to choose a course which would be best for learning camera work/cinematography.

Saturnas

Check the universities you're applying to. Most give a very solid idea of the modules you'll be doing (for what it's worth Gloucestershire and Bournemouth are both very practical (thus camera work) inclined)
Yeah, here at Gloucestershire you do a lot of practical work. I do TVP, and we do more essays than Digital Film Production, but I believe we're the better course (inter-course rivalries and all that ;P)

For TVP you're not given free-reign though - you get given a role for a particular project and have to stick to it. That is until the third year when you've got a good grasp of every aspect of TV production (which is extremely important) and you get to choose which Final Major Projects you want to work on and in what capacity.

I've heard there's not much written work on DFP, but as I said I can't speak for that course.
isn't getting the experience more valuable than a degree in that field....

this is just something I was told when doing a placement with the BBC (don't ask why....)
I'd say doing the degree is invaluable. We have a placement at the end of the third year which acts as an entry point in to the industry at a higher point than just a runner would. We also have more knowledge of the industry and can thus move up the ladder quicker.
Reply 135
Original post by JHar
Check the universities you're applying to. Most give a very solid idea of the modules you'll be doing (for what it's worth Gloucestershire and Bournemouth are both very practical (thus camera work) inclined)

Too bad one of requirements in Bournemouth is that international students must have foundation year first, and I don't want to do that:frown:

Yeah, here at Gloucestershire you do a lot of practical work. I do TVP, and we do more essays than Digital Film Production, but I believe we're the better course (inter-course rivalries and all that ;P)

For TVP you're not given free-reign though - you get given a role for a particular project and have to stick to it. That is until the third year when you've got a good grasp of every aspect of TV production (which is extremely important) and you get to choose which Final Major Projects you want to work on and in what capacity.

I've heard there's not much written work on DFP, but as I said I can't speak for that course.

Gloucestershire course looks good too, maybe you could ask a student from that course are they shooting on 16mm cameras?

I made a list of universities which I'm interested in. Maybe someone could help me choose 5 universities which have the most practical course and fits best for cameraman/DOP career?

University of Central Lancashire - Film Production

University for the Creative Arts - Film Production

University of Greenwich - Digital Film Production

University of Wales, Newport - Film and Video

London College of Communication - BA (Hons) Film and Television

University of Gloucestershire - Digital Film Production

University of Westminster - Film and Television Production

Any comments and help would be appreciated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 136
Too bad one of requirements in Bournemouth is that international students must have foundation year first, and I don't want to do that:frown:

Gloucestershire course looks good too, maybe you could ask a student from that course are they shooting on 16mm cameras?

I made a list of universities which I'm interested in. Maybe someone could help me choose 5 universities which have the most practical course and fits best for cameraman/DOP career?

University of Central Lancashire (C30) - Film Production (WP6J)

University for the Creative Arts (C93) - Film Production (W600)

University of Greenwich (G70) - Digital Film Production (W612)

University of Wales, Newport (N37) - Film and Video (W620)

London College of Communication - BA (Hons) Film and Television

University of Gloucestershire - Digital Film Production

Any comments and help would be appreciated.

Foundations are suggested not required; I'd still give it a shot as a high risk (I did, waiting on answer now from them and Hertfordshire)

Also, as far as I recall, I had read that Gloucestershire film on 16mm, but can't remember where. Maybe LLoT can confirm.

Regarding that list, LCC and UoG are the only Skillset, while Newport is part of Skillset Wales. So those three are up to industry standards (looks nice for potential employers). Not too sure about the other two.
TVP at Gloucestershire is Skillset, though :smile:

And can't speak about those cameras... we film on Canon XM2s (for first and second year) and I THINK the DFP students get the same, but I may be wrong...
Reply 138
TVP at Gloucestershire is Skillset, though :smile:

And can't speak about those cameras... we film on Canon XM2s (for first and second year) and I THINK the DFP students get the same, but I may be wrong...

Nah, DFP is Skillset too :tongue:

http://courses.skillset.org/courses/284_university_of_gloucestershire/3304-ba_hons_digital_film_production

No need for elitism here.

Apologies, I missed the UoG part of your sentence and so thought that DFP didn't have the accreditation :smile:

DFP and TVP will also be getting all new edit suites and studios next year when we move over to Park campus, so it'll be great :smile: I'm a bit peeved 'cause if nobody pitches a studio show for the Final Major Project, I probably wont get to use the new studio :frown:

Well, that's not true. Could always use it for Tone TV, the student TV station which is almost up and running (and open for anyone to be a part of, be they a production student or not!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending