The Student Room Group

Gap year help

I was not planning on a gap year, but now, after being rejected from my favorite university (the only one that I could see myself at), it has become a possibility. Does anyone have any ideas what you could do to strengthen a history application?
Reply 1
I'm in a similar situation. But I do have an offer and I'm still undecided as to whether if I would go there. I'd like some advice as well.

p.s. I'm doing economics
Reply 2
Is there anyone out there? :frown:
I would recommend waiting until you get feedback from Cambridge. There might be something in there that you can focus on to improve your application...maybe you need to work on formulating ideas or something. If you decide to take a gap year, make sure you're doing something that will benefit you in the long run, too and don't just do it for the reapplication because there's no guarantee that you'll get in next year!
Go travelling, learn a language, get a job....
Go travelling somewhere with strong ties to whatever historic era you are interested in.
Like immediate_escape said do something that you will enjoy and will benefit you.
Anything that you can have got something out of over your gap year (and it doesn't have to be history related) will help you. Do something different that you feel you can become passionate about.
Don't bank of the uni letting you in next year, even if you do have a very history-related gap year.
Try going to unis and looking round thm in this time so you can apply next year to more than one you can see yourself in.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Don't work in your gap year unless it's doing something that you love! It's not worth it and it's a bit of a waste of a year! Trust me lol x
Reply 6
i have been rejected from my first two choice unis this year, bristol and oxford (have quite good academics (9A*/As at AS)) I have an offer from Kings for Spanish and Philosophy which is what I want to do but am not too keen on staying in London for uni and so would quite like to reapply next year. Any ideas on what i could do gap-year wise in londonish areas with arts subjects (history, Spanish and Philosophy/Ethics are my A-level subjects) preferably to earn some money? dont really want to work in a shop/bar, prefer something office based, to add to cv/application, but most of the gap year paid schemes seem to be in investment banking and probably wouldnt get that without maths.
Thanks!
Reply 7
maddy__17
i have been rejected from my first two choice unis this year, bristol and oxford (have quite good academics (9A*/As at AS)) I have an offer from Kings for Spanish and Philosophy which is what I want to do but am not too keen on staying in London for uni and so would quite like to reapply next year. Any ideas on what i could do gap-year wise in londonish areas with arts subjects (history, Spanish and Philosophy/Ethics are my A-level subjects) preferably to earn some money? dont really want to work in a shop/bar, prefer something office based, to add to cv/application, but most of the gap year paid schemes seem to be in investment banking and probably wouldnt get that without maths.
Thanks!

Go abroad!!!!

Work like crazy for 6-8 months, book a flight, and go to somewhere you've always wanted to go to!! All the long hours working for minimum wage fade to insignificance when you are off seeing the world. If you interest lie with spanish and history, why not go to latin america - lots of spanish, and lots of pyramids etc. to trek round.

Yes, working in a shop/bar is crappy, but it gives you a reality check, opens your eyes a LOT to the real world, and this coupled with travel (or volunteering or whatever) will help you to appreciate university a lot more.

Doing a paid gap-year scheme might work for some people, but remember, you're only young once, and it's far better to have memories about how you swam in crocodile infested rivers/got stopped by the army on a 26 hour bus ride (along with dancing on the beach/swimming in waterfalls etc.. :p: ) than starting a 'career' that you may well change your mind about in the future.

Live the dream yo!
Reply 8
coronita
Go abroad!!!!

go abroad and do volunteering.... :smile:
Reply 9
tomangegi
Don't work in your gap year unless it's doing something that you love! It's not worth it and it's a bit of a waste of a year! Trust me lol x

A lot of people need to work to earn money otherwise how would they afford to go away and volunteer or travel?

Volunteering, even non-history related could help strengthen your application as it would show you are a mature well rounded person. Think about the periods of history you are interested in - is their certain countries you could visit that have to do with that time? Or working/volunteering in any museums of historical sites near you - tour guide perhaps?

Maddy - I'd try and join a temp agency to find office jobs. Though it can be difficult with all that's going on to find jobs in London. Have a lot of friends who have found their jobs in the city through agencies though (one is a PA, another in events, a few receptionists).

Latest