The Student Room Group
Reply 1
let choose FP3, P6 is not that hard. Anyway, I think you'll receive a lot of help from TSR's members :biggrin:. I'm sure you'll be fine with FP3
Reply 2
P6 isn't that hard and the extra practice will help your pure in general. D1 is easy though.

Why do you have to do an extra module? Are you to do 12 or 13?
Reply 3
I've just done D1, it is AWFUL! I personally don't count it as maths, its quite easy when you get used to it, but sooooooooooooo boring! I'd go for FP3. Not done FP-anything yet as I'm in year 12, but I imagine that ANYTHING is better than D1.
Reply 4
Widowmaker
It turns out that I may have to do FP3 or D1 as an extra module for an a-level in f.maths. I know fp3 is interesting and harder but i'm sure D1 is pretty easy as well. What would you TSR mathematicians recommend?

D1 is easy, but can be annoying...

A good module to do, though, if you want to pick up some easy marks.

See my article!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/article.php?a=45

Finding some of FP2 quite hard going, but will probably do FP3 next year.

Aitch
From edexcel spec.

1) Advanced GCE Mathematics C1, C2, C3, C4
One pair of units from:
M1, M2
S1, S2
D1, D2
M1, S1
S1, D1
M1, D1

2) Advanced GCE Further Mathematics
FP1 and one of FP2 or FP3
Four units (excluding C1—C4) to make
a total of six units.

3) Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics
C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1 Either FP2 or FP3

Right, so C1-C4 definitely.
M1-M5 definitely.

So option 1 would be.
C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 M2 (maths)

Option 2 would be.
FP1, FP2/FP3, M3 M4 M5

Damn edexcel don't let you do FP2 and FP3 together!
Looks like i'm stuck with D1. Unless someone can tell me i'm wrong.
Reply 6
Widowmaker
From edexcel spec.

One pair of units from:
M1, M2
S1, S2
D1, D2
M1, S1
S1, D1
M1, D1

a total of six units.

M1-M5 definitely.

So option 1 would be.

Option 2 would be.
FP1, FP2/FP3, M3 M4 M5

I think you have to do one of FP2 and FP3, which doesn't mean you can't do both!

See next post!

Aitch
Reply 7
Widowmaker
From edexcel spec.

One pair of units from:
M1, M2
S1, S2
D1, D2
M1, S1
S1, D1
M1, D1

a total of six units.

M1-M5 definitely.

So option 1 would be.

Option 2 would be.
FP1, FP2/FP3, M3 M4 M5

Copied from Edexcel spec:

9372 Advanced GCE Further Mathematics
Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding
C1—C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications
units (excluding C1—C4) to make a total of six units. Candidates who are awarded certificates
in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit
results from 12 different teaching modules.
9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics

See page 16 of
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/83441/GCE_Mathematics_Specification.pdf

Aitch
Reply 8
D1 isn't that bad!
Aitch, in my opinion P6/FP3 may be considered easier than P5/FP2. P5 has the annoying parts of reduction formulae and coordinate geometry(though loci are good). P6 is interesting throughout and introduces the fantastic proof by induction.
Gaz031
D1 isn't that bad!
Aitch, in my opinion P6/FP3 may be considered easier than P5/FP2. P5 has the annoying parts of reduction formulae and coordinate geometry(though loci are good). P6 is interesting throughout and introduces the fantastic proof by induction.

Yep, proof by induction is pretty cool :smile: , but for MEI it's in P4!?

I would definately go for FP3, particularly if you're going to do maths at uni, as it's much more exciting than D1, and is good preparation for your course. Though D1 is probably easier to get near to 100 UMS points in.
Edit: just read above messages realised that you have to do D1.
Reply 10
Gaz031

I shall be very pleased if FP3 is no harder than FP2! FP1 was great - interesting topics which didn't seem to drag on for too long... The integration chapter of FP2 does seem to go on and on...

I read in some thread, Gaz, that you were hoping to complete FP2 in a week. I bet that didn't involve doing all of the examples in all of the exercises in chapter 3!!!

Aitch
Reply 11
iluvcheesecake

Edit: just read above messages realised that you have to do D1.

You don't have to do any Decision modules; you can get 12 valid modules just from P (+C), S, M.

As you say, D1 is easy marks, though...

Aitch
Reply 12
Aitch
I shall be very pleased if FP3 is no harder than FP2! FP1 was great - interesting topics which didn't seem to drag on for too long... The integration chapter of FP2 does seem to go on and on...

It's much more interesting too.

I read in some thread, Gaz, that you were hoping to complete FP2 in a week. I bet that didn't involve doing all of the examples in all of the exercises in chapter 3!!!Aitch

It involved all the questions in the book. It took about a week and 2 days, with the longest time being spent on the last chapter. I do have 4-5 questions that i need to go back to though.
P6/FP3 will take about 2 weeks. The book is longer but the fact that it is much more interesting compensates somewhat.

Latest