The Student Room Group

Are these subjects suitable for Oxbridge?

Hi,

Unfortunately, I attend a rubbish 6th form and my friend wants to come to it in September although she would like to attend Oxbridge to to a degree in Maths or English Literature. These are her subjects:

*English (language and Literature)
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Geography

*My 6th form only does this option, they don't offer just the Literature option. So, do you think it would be wise for her to attend a different 6th form that offers just the Literature option, therefore, increasing her success at Oxbridge?

Are those subjects Oxbridge material?

They're perhaps not the strongest combination for a degree in English, but they're good to go for Maths.

If she really wants to open her options, she could substitute Geography for something like History, Politics, or Philosopy, maybe?
The subjects are fine, languages are also good subjects to consider studying if you want to go to a top uni like oxford or cambridge (maybe not for the maths). As for the lang & lit combination, I don't think it would matter too much but if your sixth form is truly "rubbish" then she might be more likely to achieve the grades somewhere else...
Reply 3
They sure are, depending on her chosen subject!

I have to say I think she'd be more likely to get in with Maths if she had Chem too, but I can't say that for sure.

Look on www.cam.ac.uk and www.ox.ac.uk for the subjects needed to do what she wants.

By the way, the rubbish 6th form can sometimes be a godsend. Universities look not only at your grades, but your school's grades as a whole. If your school is under average yet you excel in your grades, then you are probably more likely to get in than someone whos whole school excels in grades.
Reply 4
hmmm I'd go for history instead of geography. But I'm biased.

I think it's a bit tricky seen as they are two pretty different degrees. That combination looks more geared towards maths in my opinion.
Reply 5
She would definately be better off with the English literature as a single subject expecially if she unsure whether to do english or maths yet. If she decided english in the end, it may lower her chances of getting in :smile:
Reply 6
For what it's worth, I went to Cambridge and had studied Language and Literature combined at A Level. I doubt anyone batted an eyelid.
How the hell would she be able to take a degree in Maths and English Literature???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Get rid of lit & lang and replace it with just Eng Lit and she'll be fine. How important (or respected??) is geoggers though?
Thoust™
Hi,

Unfortunately, I attend a rubbish 6th form and my friend wants to come to it in September although she would like to attend Oxbridge to to a degree in Maths or English Literature. These are her subjects:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Geography

*My 6th form only does this option, they don't offer just the Literature option. So, do you think it would be wise for her to attend a different 6th form that offers just the Literature option, therefore, increasing her success at Oxbridge?

1. I seem to remember reading on one of your threads that "Oxbridge will love me", so this one is just another vanity thread
2. I seem to remember you going to a private school, so hardly "rubbish"
generally sciences are good even for arts subjects. they rightly or wrongly do tend to be more respected, so i would say they were good subjects to take. also she's got diversity with the eng and geog so they can see shes not only a sci person.
Reply 10
For English Literature, It would be an idea to take up some more essay based subjects, such as classics/philosophy/history/sociology. Other than that they are good subjects, just keep to the list Cambridge has (someone has already posted it) and you'll be fine.
Hi I just thought i'd defend geography here as it seems to be taking a bit of a battering! You'd be fine with studying it, history may be seen as slightly better but there'd be no reason to change your options as your others are so respected! From what i know geography is seen as equal to both politics and philosophy so again there'd be no need to worry about changing it there.
People who haven't studied it seem to underestimate what the subject entails, there's a lot of science in the physical side as you get more and more advance and the human side is equally as challenging at time. Also often with courseworks and fieldtrips a statistical element is bought in which would definitely be beneficial if you chose the maths route.
Basically she's fine with all of those subjects, after all would oxford and cambridge offer Geography as a degree if it wasn't deemed a respectable subject? Also it will keep her in tune with what is going on in the world as pretty much everything in the news can link back to geography at some point and this will become apparent in discussions in her lessons. So yes, keep geography, awesome subject and unis will love it, even oxbridge!!
Yet another troll thread by the OP. You have no chance of having a life, let alone a life in Oxbridge. End of.
Reply 13
sohanshah
Yet another troll thread by the OP. You have no chance of having a life, let alone a life in Oxbridge. End of.

no point feeding this troll anymore Mr Shah, someone just needs to find this guy and give him a thapar init?
Reply 14
Arkinstall

By the way, the rubbish 6th form can sometimes be a godsend. Universities look not only at your grades, but your school's grades as a whole. If your school is under average yet you excel in your grades, then you are probably more likely to get in than someone whos whole school excels in grades.

Do they just look at if the school's private or state? If it's aprivate school with poor results...would they look at that/bother to find the results after seeing it was private? sorry random lol jsut need to check thanks
Reply 15
Thoust™
Hi,

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Geography

hi mate,

The combination of subjects you said is extremely good however i doubt that in 2 years ur friend can finish all these subjects with a good grade as it is too much.. If your friend does only Maths, Further Maths, and Physics or English - and gets A in all 3 subjects - she will probably get a place in Oxford - if ur friend feels these A levels are too much than the first subject to take out of the equation is Geography. The other 4 subjects are more then excellent as they are the most academic subjects. However doing the subjects is not enough - you have to get A in at least 3 of these subjects and minimum a B on the 4th subject - but with 5 A levels it would take at least 3 years - so u better take geography out from the subject choice.

and about the 6th form - i go to a crap 6th form as well - however i have to say Maths and Further Maths are subjects where u are not as depended on the teachers - if u are talented in Maths, u can get A in any sixth form - but i doubt it about English - for english u have to have a good teacher.
Choose Maths, Physics, Further Maths, English Lit & Lang, History.

They are probably the best Subjects to choose.

I have chosen all of the above and also Chemistry (& General Studies & Critical Thinking if they count)
Reply 17
Agrees Maths, Physics, Further maths, English and History is a good combo. It is also a pretty heavy workload, especially the non-maths subjects whihc i think from experience of history and english require a good level of teaching to get the most out of it. If your not sure whether to do the maths or the english then perhaps Maths & Philosophy (philosophy is not required to be taken at A level at all, history is a much better option) or Physics and Philosophy at Oxford.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/physics_and.html
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/mathematics_and_1.html

Latest

Trending

Trending