The Student Room Group

Most competitive degree in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Waheyyyy
I was wondering what people think is the most competitive degree in the UK?

Economics and Management at Oxford is the most oversubscribed (of all the main degrees) at what is commonly the No. 1 Uni in the UK (according to league tables, but don't get in a discussion about them ), so I think that would be in the top few.

I also think medicine somewhere, probably either Oxbridge or a top London Uni (UCL).

What would be your top 1, 5 or 10 most competitive degrees (as in to get a place on)?

Edit: What I mean is not just medicine (for example), but medicine at x Uni (specific degree at a specific Uni). That might be a bad example because medicine is roughly the same at all Unis (as I've been told, but surely it's more competitive at UCL etc?), but you get what I mean.

I would probably say something like E&M at Oxford, or Medicine at Imperial.
Blatantly Graduate entry medicine at Kings college london.. i think its like 60 people applying per place there
Reply 182
40 applicants per place for graduate Medicine at Kings College London.
Reply 183
History at Durham
Reply 184
what about biochemistry?
Reply 185
Aquarian
what about biochemistry?

What about it? it's not that competitive compared to some courses.
Reply 186
Vetmed in my opinion. Someone I know applied for vetmed and was rejected, hes now studying medicine instead
p3bbl3z
Vetmed in my opinion. Someone I know applied for vetmed and was rejected, hes now studying medicine instead

The statistics for vet med applications always look bad, but there are only 6 uk unis which offer it. Since all the applicants can apply to 4 of these, there's going to be a massive amount of overlapping applications which will make the stats seem much worse than they are as unis have to give out more offers...
using what criteria?

In terms of personal qualities then medicine, vetmed and dentistry will probably be the most difficult to get into. In terms of grades though... well back when I applied there were 3 unis that requested AAA for medicine, and even oxford had only just upped it from AAB a few years before. There were a number of places asking ABB, and seriously, meeting the "we want ~8 As at GCSE" requirement isn't going to be a problem for a student who expects to get good A'levels.

In terms of academic requirements medicine is a fair bit behind Law and economics, but then they have a lot less hoops to jump through to prove "fitness to practice", because they aren't doing a vocational course (law at a stretch could be called one, but you're not a lawyer the second you graduate and very few go on to become one).

My main answer would be "why the :snow::snow::snow::snow: care", but given that I've got nothing else to do I'll come up with "it's impossible to tell unless you offer arbitrarily defined criteria from which to base it"
Reply 189
Ouch... ~I've just looked, and for the course i applied for, Law and French at ~Bristol, there are 27 applicants for every place... ****
Reply 190
There are around 37 applicants per place for Lit and Creative Writing at Warwick, I think. Quite a lot anyway.
English Literature is always pretty competitive, but behind Medicine, Law and the like.
Reply 191
Med, vetmed, law and nursing (degree and especially children's) tend to be the most popular in my experiance, i know people who are applying to all of them and there tends to be 20+ going for the same spot.
Reply 192
Could anyone name me some undergrad degrees which are good and not too oversubscribed before doing a post grad law degree, i know History, Politics and History and Politics but I heard these are oversubscribed :/
Original post by ssethe
There are around 37 applicants per place for Lit and Creative Writing at Warwick, I think. Quite a lot anyway.
English Literature is always pretty competitive, but behind Medicine, Law and the like.

Higher
Reply 194
Economics at LSE :O
(edited 12 years ago)
In terms of applicants with best qualification then Cambridge Maths.
Reply 196
Original post by Waheyyyy
I was wondering what people think is the most competitive degree in the UK?

Economics and Management at Oxford is the most oversubscribed (of all the main degrees) at what is commonly the No. 1 Uni in the UK (according to league tables, but don't get in a discussion about them :p:), so I think that would be in the top few.

I also think medicine somewhere, probably either Oxbridge or a top London Uni (UCL).

What would be your top 1, 5 or 10 most competitive degrees (as in to get a place on)?

Edit: What I mean is not just medicine (for example), but medicine at x Uni (specific degree at a specific Uni). That might be a bad example because medicine is roughly the same at all Unis (as I've been told, but surely it's more competitive at UCL etc?), but you get what I mean.

Successful applications: 8.2% - taken from Oxford website

Total BS dude. Out of 13 applicants there is 1 what is successful. My course was 19, people here mentioned 37...
(edited 11 years ago)
Medicine and dentistry, fo'shizzle :yep:
Reply 198
Maths is competitive for the higher ranked universities. Medicine would be the most competitive in general, regardless of the institution followed by Detistry and Law.
Medicine medicine medicine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending