Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most competitive degree in the UK?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a toss up between economics and medicine, both attract very high calibre applicants, there are not very many other courses where most applicants have 8a*'s+ and crazy A-level combos with 5+ subjects.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere something to do with veterinary science was very hard to get into (not vet).
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    medicine, law, dentistry, vet med etc

also, every course at oxbridge
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnKennedy)
    a toss up between economics and medicine, both attract very high calibre applicants?
    I would say, with regards to Econ, it depends where you apply... Not all Econ courses are as competitive as E&M and PPE at Oxford, Econ at LSE, Warwick, UCL, etc...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    German...
    Well 1. Sole languages tend to have a lower entry requirement (no one wants to do them) and UCL must have really, really wanted them.

UCL have arguably the best German department after Oxbridge.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ones where you get paid the most, dentistry, medicine economics etc. I think the main reason for the economics 'boom' is due to the massive amounts of money you could potentially make from a career in investment banking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adhesive)
    Why are you looking at entry requirements to see how competitive it is. Also, just because you don't know anyone applying for dentistry doesn't mean it's not competitive.

Manchester: Approx 900 applications for 75 places

Sheffield: Approx 1000 applications (300-350 interviewed, 200-220 offers) for 65 places

Leeds: Approx 1000 applications for 96 places

Bristol:Approx 750 applications (220 interviewed, 180 given offer) for 75 places

Kings: Approx 1000 applications (230 offers) for 150 places

Birmingham: Approx 1100 applications for 75 places

Queen Mary: Approx 1000 applications for 55 places

etc
    Erm actually read carefully and you'll see I'm not looking at entry requirements, Im looking at offers. It seems to me that they're a pretty good indicator of how competitive a course is, as a University wouldn't make a relatively low offer to a mediocre candidate if there was a lot of high level competition for places. That would be craaazy.

I guess I was just suprised about dentistry as, like I said, I don't know anyone at all doing it, but if your stats are accurate then fair point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    No.

And when you first applied to university, Oxbridge still gave out AAB offers...
    Nah, UCL give BBB offers out for the more 'obscure' languages.

Examples being:

Dutch
    Scandanavian Studies (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian or old Norsk)
    Eastern European languages (Russian in particular)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomster)
    Nah, UCL give BBB offers out for the more 'obscure' languages.

Examples being:

Dutch
    Scandanavian Studies (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian or old Norsk)
    Eastern European languages (Russian in particular)

Understandably so, but then languages is such an umbrella term.

Major (European) languages, then, are highly competitive.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Understandably so, but then languages is such an umbrella term.

Major (European) languages, then, are highly competitive.
    I don't know why you keep on insisting this is the case. Yes, languages are competitive at the "top" universities, but then pretty much all courses are.

Comparatively speaking though, languages are not really that competitive when compared with the likes of economics, English, medicine, law and dentistry.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    I don't know why you keep on insisting this is the case. Yes, languages are competitive at the "top" universities, but then pretty much all courses are.

Comparatively speaking though, languages are not really that competitive when compared with the likes of economics, English, medicine, law and dentistry.
    In that case, Economics isn't that competitive, either, then. It's easy to get onto "an" Economics course, if we're not thinking of top 20 or so unis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    Erm actually read carefully and you'll see I'm not looking at entry requirements, Im looking at offers. It seems to me that they're a pretty good indicator of how competitive a course is, as a University wouldn't make a relatively low offer to a mediocre candidate if there was a lot of high level competition for places. That would be craaazy.

I guess I was just suprised about dentistry as, like I said, I don't know anyone at all doing it, but if your stats are accurate then fair point.
    My stats are taken from the unversity websites, I'm sure if you do a search you will see that thay are correct.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ratio of applications to places is practically irrelevant when trying to determine the competitiveness of a degree. A much more useful statistic (often unavailable, unfortunately) is applications/offers. Oxbridge might not have as impressive applicants/place ratios, but they give hardly any more offers than they have places.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll just make this clear for the third time :p::

I am talking about the most competitive degree at a particular Uni - not a 'language degree', but French at UCL (for example).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Economics at LSE
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Economics at Cambridge or LSE
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Medicine, Vet Med, Dentistry, Law, and Economics, since they're competitive pretty much everywhere.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In that case, Economics isn't that competitive, either, then. It's easy to get onto "an" Economics course, if we're not thinking of top 20 or so unis.
    Yeah but economics is still way more competitive than languages at the top unis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    physiotherapy is very competitive!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say Musical Theatre at Mountview/Arts Ed - 3000+ applicants for only 30 or so places

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2013
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.