The Student Room Group

Changing degree course

If you look at my signature, you can see I have 3 offers to study French + Philosophy at Birmingham, Cardiff and Exeter. However I have recently started to think I would rather study French and Russian. I love the language, have begun to teach myself the alphabet and a few words, and TBH philosophy I find difficult enough at this stage (despite my A in RS) so I'm not sure I will be able to continue to do well at it at uni, or enjoy it.
If I get an offer at Durham this will work out, as I can study lots of subjects under Combined Arts. However I really want to know if I could change my degree at Birmingham or Exeter (Cardiff doesn't do Russian) before I started, or if they wouldn't allow it? Russian is hardly an oversubscribed subject, but I didn't mention it on my personal statement or anything!
Please help! Anyone got any experience of this, at any but preferably the unis I said! Thanks!
Reply 1
I think a lot of universities would try to help you out on this one. You have offers so they obviously liked you and it isn't as though this is totally different, you have already chose French.

Best idea is probably to contact the universities and ask them. I am sure this happens quite regularly and they should give you a definitive answer.
Reply 2
Yeah, contact the universities and ask them. You've obviously shown an aptitude for language as they've given you an offer for French. Many universities are undersubscribed for Russian and therefore actively promote it to combine with languages in order to fill their places. So with the fact that there are often many places available, and the fact that you've already got offers for a language, you stand a good chance!
Reply 3
E-mail the admissions department, asking if it is possible and explaining your reasons for the change. They can fiddle with UCAS for you, if they allow the change. I did this last year and it was very simple (although I was changing from a joint honours course to single honours).

Good luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending