The Student Room Group

What universities should I apply for?

Despite what I could of should of got for my a levels, I have been predicted B in Mathematics, B in philosophy and ethics and either a B or C in English(most likely B), just need to get my reference from the teacher. I also got a C in theatre studies AS, just gave it up before A2.

Despite my choices, I’m pretty keen to do computer science. Bsc I think. Not that I am knowledgeable on all the courses and what they offer.

So what universities should I apply for? I’m attracted to CS by the number of different modules. I’m an amateur web designer and so would preferably like a course where I can do some web design. I’m also interesting in coding and even some more boring modules if it makes me employable. How the city life is, is very important to me, and also hoping for good sporting faculties.

So which universities is should I be aiming for? How many safe bet uni’s should I apply for, what would be too ambitious for me? Need any more details I am happy to give them.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just general advice her I am afraid. If I were you I would apply to about two safe decisions and maybe one that is going to be difficult. With something like Comp Sci I imagine that there is a fair bit of variation in the courses offered so I think you really need to do some of your own research.
Reply 2
Please tell me you aren't applying for 2009 entry?
Have you looked at Reading? I've applied for IT with Management and apparently the computer science school is very good - lots of links with Thames Valley Park (ie Microsoft) and when I went everyone was friendly and apparently they are quite lax about their grades :biggrin:

Have a gander at their website :smile:

Also, if you're looking for slightly lower grades - have a look at Oxford Brookes. Good luck with your search!
Reply 4
Thanks. What do you think safe bet options and difficult options would be? As in, would ‘difficult’ be applying to a university where my predicted grades are lower than what they are asking? If so, should I be realistic in what I could get?
Reply 5

Oh yes.

‘Have you looked at Reading’

Actually yes I have. I’m fairly sure I will include it in my application.

Thanks. Must eat.
Well, it's also good to make sure you absolutly want to go for a CS course. Remember that they will usually involve programming modules, and also algorithm design, etc (so your maths a level is a bonus) and not just web design. In fact, web design may be only a tiny bit of the course overall.

Take a look at some university websites for their CS courses and jot down which ones you would consider.

I don't know of their entry requirements, but maybe have a look at UCLan?
Reply 7
thinkclarkey

Oh yes.

‘Have you looked at Reading’

Actually yes I have. I’m fairly sure I will include it in my application.

Thanks. Must eat.

Well you'd better get a move on :smile:
Thanks. What do you think safe bet options and difficult options would be? As in, would ‘difficult’ be applying to a university where my predicted grades are lower than what they are asking? If so, should I be realistic in what I could get?

Find some universities with some courses you'd like to do and apply for something like 2 top, one middle and one lower (or something similar) and then you've got a lot of choice when it comes to it. I've been told a few times that Reading is quite generous and if you don't get the grades and you want to go there, you can do a year's foundation course and then automatically transfer to your degree.

Have a look around on the internet first because I have only focused on the South West as I want to stay in the region :smile:

Also, here's the list of top universities for CS...

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Computer+Science&x=3&y=10&sub=18

That helped me a LOT.
Reply 9
<(". )>
Well, it's also good to make sure you absolutly want to go for a CS course. Remember that they will usually involve programming modules, and also algorithm design, etc (so your maths a level is a bonus) and not just web design. In fact, web design may be only a tiny bit of the course overall.

Take a look at some university websites for their CS courses and jot down which ones you would consider.

I don't know of their entry requirements, but maybe have a look at UCLan?

I&#8217;m pretty certain I do. I find computers a fun challenge. Programming appeals to me and I&#8217;m not fixed on web design. Would just be a nice bonus.

Waheyyyy
Well you'd better get a move on :smile:

Aye aye!

dollydaydream
Find some universities with some courses you'd like to do and apply for something like 2 top&#8230;&#8230;That helped me a LOT.

Thanks. What is this foundation course though? Would that also mean an extra year of uni?
thinkclarkey
I’m pretty certain I do. I find computers a fun challenge. Programming appeals to me and I’m not fixed on web design. Would just be a nice bonus.

Aye aye!

Thanks. What is this foundation course though? Would that also mean an extra year of uni?

A foundation course is a years course before uni
Reply 11
wow you are only just applying!

hmmm, here are some suggestions:

Aberdeen CCC
Aston BCC-ish (recommend)
Brighton BBC
UWE- 280 points
Brunel 280 points
City -BBB
UEA-BBB
Essex- 300 points
Keele-BCC
Kent-320 points
Kingston-CCC
Lancaster-BBB (def. recommend!)
Liecester-BBB
Liverpool-BBB (also v. good)
Loughborough- 320-240 points (good option)
Nottingham-ABB-BBC- this would make a great firm
Oxford Brookes-CCC
Portsmouth-240 points

If it were me, I would go for Nottingham, Lougborough, Aston, Kent and Keele. A good range :smile: good luck too!
Reply 12
+epic
wow you are only just applying!

hmmm, here are some suggestions:

Aberdeen CCC
Aston BCC-ish (recommend)
Brighton BBC
UWE- 280 points
Brunel 280 points
City -BBB
UEA-BBB
Essex- 300 points
Keele-BCC
Kent-320 points
Kingston-CCC
Lancaster-BBB (def. recommend!)
Liecester-BBB
Liverpool-BBB (also v. good)
Loughborough- 320-240 points (good option)
Nottingham-ABB-BBC- this would make a great firm
Oxford Brookes-CCC
Portsmouth-240 points

If it were me, I would go for Nottingham, Lougborough, Aston, Kent and Keele. A good range :smile: good luck too!

Would Newcastle be pushing it? I think their typical offer is ABC (I don't think they accept BBB) so it may be a little risky. Possibly even more risky than Nottingham which is probably a stronger department (as are Lancaster, I think) anyway. I just throw it in due to my bias for Newcastle as a city :tongue:. I'm suprised they don't accept BBB as an alernative to ABC. It's usually the other way around.

OP, what did you achieve in your GCSE maths?
River85
Would Newcastle be pushing it? I think their typical offer is ABC (I don't think they accept BBB) so it may be a little risky. Possibly even more risky than Nottingham which is probably a stronger department (as are Lancaster, I think) anyway. I just throw it in due to my bias for Newcastle as a city :tongue:. I'm suprised they don't accept BBB as an alernative to ABC. It's usually the other way around.

Are you being paid to advertise Durham, Newcastle and the North East in general?
Reply 14
Aston, Leeds, Nottingham? not sure but i know astons pretty good for computer science great city an all and so is leeds hope it helps x
Reply 15
johnbrown
Are you being paid to advertise Durham, Newcastle and the North East in general?

I am on the board of One North East, yes :p: My bias is clear and obvious when it comes to Newcastle (but it really is a great city, beautiful architecture, great countryside with Northumberland). Don't really care about Durham, in all honesty (well, the uni, I care about the city). But the north east as a region? Apart from Newcastle and Northumberland, no. Couldn't really care about Sunderland or Smoggy(Tees)side.

But in all seriousness, it is a decent comp sci department (from what I hear) and if they will consider a BBB applicant (I'd be suprised if they don't but it's worth checking) they it should be considered alongside the other redbricks such as Liverpool. But it's important that the OP meets the GCSE requirements. I think a few departments as for a B in maths GCSE (even for those who may have maths A-level).
Reply 16
River85

Yeah, the reason i didnt say Newcastle was because of the A. My,my the north again eh n:p: and yeah, i dont understand the difference between ABC and BBB....maybe they just require you to excel in a subject to show you are capable of the grade. And i say go for Nottingham because i think everyone should take one risky choice :smile:

OP, search around the computing forum, there will be a lot of past threads in there with people who have done the research already! :smile:
Reply 17
I got an A (just missed A* :/ ) in GCSE Maths

Just looking at UCLan and they don't seem to offer a normal Computer Science course, but do have Computer Games Development BSc, it looks pretty interesting but would this be limiting my career opportunities? Could I go into games development with a normal CS degree? Also is a 'Computer Games Development BSc' what game companies are looking for?

Btw, thanks for the list, big help.
Reply 18
As someone has already said, Aston is pretty good for computer science, but whatever you do, don't go to Bournemouth if you can avoid it. Someone I know told me that all they did for the three years was Java...
Reply 19
+epic
i dont understand the difference between ABC and BBB....maybe they just require you to excel in a subject to show you are capable of the grade.

Possibly, it's just usually ABC or BBB. If not that then just BBB. Universities usually prefer consistency over the three subjects but CS at Newcastle seems an exception (for whatever reason).

How many unis ask for maths?

Latest

Trending

Trending