The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sunspoon
As someone has already said, Aston is pretty good for computer science, but whatever you do, don't go to Bournemouth if you can avoid it. Someone I know told me that all they did for the three years was Java...

I actually live in Bournemouth now so don't plan to go there :smile:
Reply 21
River85
Possibly, it's just usually ABC or BBB. If not that then just BBB. Universities usually prefer consistency over the three subjects but CS at Newcastle seems an exception (for whatever reason).

How many unis ask for maths?

The top such as Nottingham dont require any subjects, but state that they prefer maths or computing or both at grade B.

the thing is, theatre studies isnt respected and english and philosophy are art subjects.... maths is you're only science OP. I think you will have to make sure you have a GREAt ps OP, and say you are planning to do work experience this summer or something. you have to really portray your passion, which is what will win over admission tutors at the end of the day!
Reply 22
Theatre studies not respected as an A level? I would have thought it shows my mind has more depth to it than just sciences. As well as English and Philosophy and math, they are all a mix showing I am capable of different types of thinking. How much Universities will appreciate this, I’m not sure. Philosophy should be quite complimentary as it is more logic than arty. I’m very passionate, have a little head start with web design. I’m sporty and run my sports club website. Hopefully my PS will help.
River85
I am on the board of One North East, yes :p: My bias is clear and obvious when it comes to Newcastle (but it really is a great city, beautiful architecture, great countryside with Northumberland). Don't really care about Durham, in all honesty (well, the uni, I care about the city). But the north east as a region? Apart from Newcastle and Northumberland, no. Couldn't really care about Sunderland or Smoggy(Tees)side.

I'm from North Shields :frown: :ninja: lol

On a more constructive note - theatre studies isn't well respected because it isn't really that academic. Chances are your university course isn't going to involve performance of any kind, it's good as an extra curricular but other than that I don't think it has that much worth. Universities would probably prefer a more 'difficult' a-level.
Reply 24
johnbrown

On a more constructive note - theatre studies isn't well respected because it isn't really that academic. Chances are your university course isn't going to involve performance of any kind, it's good as an extra curricular but other than that I don't think it has that much worth. Universities would probably prefer a more 'difficult' a-level.

It was only an AS I did and dropped. Theatre studies obviously won't be regarded as high as my other choices, but im pretty sure its more respected than other 'extra curricular' subjects. Either way, its only an extra to my application.
Reply 25
johnbrown

Nothing wrong with North Shields. At least you've got plenty of coast on your doorstep :yep:

thinkclarkey
Theatre studies not respected as an A level?

Well, it is one of those that are considered "soft" subjects. Not to much soft as in easy, but that have limited relevance to many subjects. You may have a difference opinion, I'm sure.

But it's worth remembering that only two universities have subject blacklists. Other unis may have them for specific courses and all will have their own preferred subjects but you're unlikely to be in the position that your application is rejected outright, just because of your subject mix. Maths is a strong subject (and probably preferred, for CS) and philosophy/ethics is a strong subject and well valued. But theatre studies is not ideal.

With (ideally) a BBB prediction and strong personal statement you've still get a good chance with some very good departments (Lancaster, Aston) and a fair chance with Nottingham.
Reply 26
Update. So far I've liked the look of Nottingham, Lougborough and Lancaster.

Cardiff looks good too, I might be able to go there? Southampton seems awesome but out of my ucas score. Does that mean its not even worth an application?

Also does anyone have advice for perhaps choosing a more southern uni for computer science?
Reply 27
I know someone who went to Portsmouth who's now working for BAE as a software engineer and he said it was quite good.

Latest

Trending

Trending