The Student Room Group

Which school is more up and coming? Penn or Columbia?

Columbia has the edge over the two because it's in NYC and has a lot of intellectual academic history behind it. But Penn is rising in the rankings and seems to be getting more and more prestigious every year.

Which school would be a better deal to attend and be a wiser investment. Should I go with Columbia and stick to the older academic powerhouse that boasts more prestige or should I ride the Penn wave and hope that I would be investing in an up and coming institution.

Penn has already invested several millions in a new campaign to bolster its academic reputation and international recognition. It's endowment soared from 6 to 8 billion in the first two years of the Penn campaign. It has increased its awareness and the Penn name is becoming highly regarded in places like Asia and Latin America.

So which is it? Stick with the old or invest in the new?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Columbia is the way to go... UPenn is good, but Columbia beats it in the rankings.... :smile:
Reply 2
I believe he means UPenn? UPenn is an AMAZING school. Ivy League and everything. It's got great programs but might I ask what you want to study? That should influence a lot as well.
Reply 3
It's got great programs but might I ask what you want to study?

Environmental Sciences.
Reply 4
columbia
Reply 5
So regardless of UPenn's up and coming status, you guys say I should stick to the older more prestigious school?
Reply 6
I disagree. I would go with UPenn. UPenn has a great Alumni and I think for Environmental Sciences you would have a better shot at UPenn. Columbia is a GREAT university but there are also a lot more distractions there. I'm a college student and I would say go with Columbia
Reply 7
Audeamus
I disagree. I would go with UPenn. UPenn has a great Alumni and I think for Environmental Sciences you would have a better shot at UPenn. Columbia is a GREAT university but there are also a lot more distractions there. I'm a college student and I would say go with Columbia

I'm confused. You tell me to go with Penn but then your final sentence indicates that I should choose Columbia?
Reply 8
sorry I meant to say go with UPenn. That was my mistake ha ha
I'd go for Columbia, for the sheer reason that it's in New York City.
you might want to look into the earth institute at columbia (jeff sachs and his cronies), which seems to be developing some interesting projects related to environmental science.

right now columbia is going through its golden age. your "investment" in penn would probably just about pay off (although arguably you wouldn't currently receive the same quality of education.. then again i may or may not be biased), but equally you would be going to columbia at a great time in its history. president of us, richest man in the world, attorney general, governor of new york, all columbia alums. recently got a massive injection of financial aid from the billionaire entrepreneur john kluge. with its most competitive admissions in history in recent years, columbia is on an upward trajectory as well right now.

and as others mentioned, NYC might also help sway your decision. if not for the great social life and entertainment options, then for the numerous internship opportunities available literally at your doorstep (columbia has great ties with many big institutions), throughout the school year and over your summers.
Reply 11
You've had multiple threads on similar topics, and all of them make you sound like a prestige whore. :s-smilie:

Columbia and Penn both have excellent programs in environmental science. I personally greatly prefer Penn, but I would go with Columbia in your case simply because Lamont-Doherty is an amazing institute.

Of course, that's assuming you get decent funding at Columbia. The cost of living in NYC is considerably higher than that of Philadelphia.

Champagne Breakfast
as others mentioned, NYC might also help sway your decision. if not for the great social life and entertainment options
The OP is looking at Penn and Columbia for graduate school. Unlike undergrads, graduate students spend considerably more time working than pursuing entertainment. :p: In any case, there's more than enough in Philly to keep a student busy for the 1-2 years it takes to get an MS.
thanks for the info.

Devil 09, why would you prefer Penn over Columbia?

I think that I would choose Penn because it's rising over Columbia in some rankings and is becoming more well known therefore a much better investment.

It's true that most grad students spend more time in the library than in town, so NYC is not as much of a great thing in my decision. Although it would be nice to be in NYC, that is not even in my radar right now.

The Lamont-Doherty institute is amazing. But I imagine that its tought to break into. Even for grad students.

But again, could anyone explain to me why Penn would be a better option than Columbia?
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but TimeDivided is correct in referring to the University of Pennsylvania as 'Penn' and not 'UPenn.' People affiliated with the university refer to it as the former.
bump. All other opinions welcome.
Reply 15
I would go for Penn
why? care to explain?
Reply 17
I have a cousin who did something science related at Columbia as a graduate, and had an incredible time. He said it was the best decision he ever made. Great location and great academics. Penn is very up and coming though, so if you are looking at a place that is rising in prestige and academics, over somewhere that has very traditional respect, Penn might be your thing.
Reply 18
Penn
I like how this discussion has been going on for weeks now. Anyone else care to chime in?

Adam531, any reason as to why you would choose Penn over Columbia?

Latest

Trending

Trending