The Student Room Group

Particles - a few quick questions...

i was hoping you could help me with a few quick questions i have on particles and interactions for AQA Unit 1 please :wink:

1) is the pi0 meson an antiparticle? It is its own antiparticle i thought but there was an exam question where they gave you a list of particles and it said select the antiparticles, and the markscheme didn't include pi0??

2) is there any difference between the electromagnetic force and the electrostatic force? are they the same thing?

3) in physics, when you refer to ionisation, is it only atoms losing electrons to form cations? so how would you define ionisation? i said, "any process creating ions" but that was wrong, they only gave "atoms losing an electron to form a +1 cation"??

4) what is the force that acts between an up quark and an electron? If it were electrostatic repulsion, it would be the EM force, if it were electron capture, what force would that be?

thanks so much in advance!
Reply 1
1) Yeah neutral Pion, is its own antiparticle.

2) Don't know:biggrin:

3) I did a paper and got that wrong too, an Ion was just a charged particle, but yeah im guessing that you have to use the definition you mentioned involving 1+ cations, +ve ions.

4) I didnt think you could get individual quarks interacting :/
Reply 2
Mr Nonsense
i was hoping you could help me with a few quick questions i have on particles and interactions for AQA Unit 1 please :wink:

1) is the pi0 meson an antiparticle? It is its own antiparticle i thought but there was an exam question where they gave you a list of particles and it said select the antiparticles, and the markscheme didn't include pi0??

2) is there any difference between the electromagnetic force and the electrostatic force? are they the same thing?

3) in physics, when you refer to ionisation, is it only atoms losing electrons to form cations? so how would you define ionisation? i said, "any process creating ions" but that was wrong, they only gave "atoms losing an electron to form a +1 cation"??

4) what is the force that acts between an up quark and an electron? If it were electrostatic repulsion, it would be the EM force, if it were electron capture, what force would that be?

thanks so much in advance!

(1) Yes. π0\pi^0 is its own antiparticle.
(2) Magnetic forces are, in fact, the relativistic effect of the movement of charge. They are, therefore, just a result of electrostatic forces. Time-changing electric fields give rise to magnetic fields and vice-versa, so this is why we call it the electromagnetic interaction.
(3) "Ionization" usually refers to the atom, yes. So while your definition is alright, I guess, when we say an atom has become "ionized" we mean that it has lost one or more electrons to leave a cation.
(4) Quarks and electrons can interact through the electromagnetic force (electrostatic attraction/repulsion, as you say), or the weak nuclear force. However, the EM interaction can only be between charged particles, and since electron capture involves the emission of a neutrino, it must be the weak nuclear force that is responsible.

Latest