The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Anyone doing Languages and Linguistics (Q100) at York?

I'm planing to accept York as my firm (getting the grades will be a different matter) and have a couple o' questions.

How do the modules work?

Do you have to take modules in French/German/Spanish? Are they beginner modules? Can you take English modules instead? The website isn't particularly clear. Or maybe I didn't particularly notice :p:

They gave me an offer knowing that I don't have any knowledge of either of the three, but I am a fluent Lithuanian speaker - had that quite prominently on my PS (and did French/German in year 7/8 - but they don't know that, nor does it really apply). I also have some knowledge of Russian - I can read cyrillic and studied a bit at beginner level in Lithuania. Again, they wouldn't know this either since it wasn't really relevant.

Point is, if you DO have to do French/German/Spanish - do they do it from a beginner level or do they assume prior knowledge?

I suppose I should know this, but meh.
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure they only do post-A level foreign languages, but you can take English instead. I've got an offer too, for Spanish and Linguistics, 2010 start!
University of York
York
Reply 2
You're only required to do language modules if you're on a language and linguistics course (this includes an English qualification for the English Language and Linguistics course as well). I think you could do just plain "Linguistics"- depends on what exactly your offer was. E-mail the department and ask for clarification; they really are helpful and normally respond in good time. Good luck!
I'm currently doing English Language and Linguistics... I would think that if you haven't done German/Spanish etc at A-level (or equivalent) I doubt you'll be studying those, given the previous knowledge they may assume. If you do English Language the modules for that side of the course are Structure of English and History of English. If you find out that EL is what you're doing, feel free to ask me any other questions. :smile:
Reply 4
I sent an e-mail and got a reply -

"In fact the Q100 degree has a lot of flexibility in it, and includes the option to only study the English lanaguage, alongside linguistics. However, for those students who take this particular path through the Q100 programme, there is not much practical difference between Q100 and its sister programme, Q302 (English Language & Linguistics).

So, you are entitled to take up the offer we have made you, even without an A level in a modern foreign language - though it might make sense for us to actually offer you a place on the Q302 course instead. In practical terms it is absolutely fine for you to go through the application process as for Q100 and then make the switch once you arrive in York (but at the same time we could make the switch earlier if you wish to)."

Basically, all is well!

How is the linguistics course at York? How is York? How are degrees at York in general? What do you do? What are the lectures like? Whatever you have to say, feel free to tell me.

I plan to come down on the 18th, but no harm in finding stuff out, eh.
AndriusG
I sent an e-mail and got a reply -

"In fact the Q100 degree has a lot of flexibility in it, and includes the option to only study the English lanaguage, alongside linguistics. However, for those students who take this particular path through the Q100 programme, there is not much practical difference between Q100 and its sister programme, Q302 (English Language & Linguistics).

So, you are entitled to take up the offer we have made you, even without an A level in a modern foreign language - though it might make sense for us to actually offer you a place on the Q302 course instead. In practical terms it is absolutely fine for you to go through the application process as for Q100 and then make the switch once you arrive in York (but at the same time we could make the switch earlier if you wish to)."

Basically, all is well!

How is the linguistics course at York? How is York? How are degrees at York in general? What do you do? What are the lectures like? Whatever you have to say, feel free to tell me.

I plan to come down on the 18th, but no harm in finding stuff out, eh.

The linguistics course is pretty interesting and it's nice because everyone is more or less in the same boat having not done much before! The modules for it are SVC (Sociolinguistic Variation and Change) that looks at things like langauge and gender, social networks, ethnic groups etc. Semantics, which is pretty abstract, looking at word meaning - there's a fair few definitions to learn but once you get your head around it it's pretty cool. Syntax, not my favourite module but it breaks sentences down, and looks at the seperate components of language - you'll find that it links in pretty closely with Structure of English fairly quickly if you do opt to do English Language. Phonetics and Phonology is all about how you actually speak, literally the biology behind it, how your mouth produces each sound. There's quite alot to learn for that module, but as I say we all start off knowing nothing so there's not too much pressure.

I love York as a University, the campus is quite green and well set out. As soon as you learn your way around things are really accessible and there's a great atomosphere. There are events in different colleges from time to time during the term, and obviously alot during freshers week. York town is really easy to get to from the university there's a bus which goes every 10 minutes from various points in Heslington and the university and it's about £1.80 single, £2.00 student return and it runs late or certain days so you can travel back after a night out!

You already know what I do. :wink:

Lectures can be alright depending on the lecturer... Phonetics lectures are awesome because Sam Hellmuth is just amazing. Others, who shall not be named, leave you feeling like you actually know less than when you went in!

Anything else you want to know, ask away. :smile:
Reply 6
WolfishSmile
The linguistics course is pretty interesting and it's nice because everyone is more or less in the same boat having not done much before! The modules for it are SVC (Sociolinguistic Variation and Change) that looks at things like langauge and gender, social networks, ethnic groups etc. Semantics, which is pretty abstract, looking at word meaning - there's a fair few definitions to learn but once you get your head around it it's pretty cool. Syntax, not my favourite module but it breaks sentences down, and looks at the seperate components of language - you'll find that it links in pretty closely with Structure of English fairly quickly if you do opt to do English Language. Phonetics and Phonology is all about how you actually speak, literally the biology behind it, how your mouth produces each sound. There's quite alot to learn for that module, but as I say we all start off knowing nothing so there's not too much pressure.

I love York as a University, the campus is quite green and well set out. As soon as you learn your way around things are really accessible and there's a great atomosphere. There are events in different colleges from time to time during the term, and obviously alot during freshers week. York town is really easy to get to from the university there's a bus which goes every 10 minutes from various points in Heslington and the university and it's about £1.80 single, £2.00 student return and it runs late or certain days so you can travel back after a night out!

You already know what I do. :wink:

Lectures can be alright depending on the lecturer... Phonetics lectures are awesome because Sam Hellmuth is just amazing. Others, who shall not be named, leave you feeling like you actually know less than when you went in!

Anything else you want to know, ask away. :smile:

Yeah, the e-mail was actually from her and she sounds like a lovely person. Although I'm not sure if lovely is a word that can be used to describe a lecturer.

Also, I've heard from various sources about electives. I gather what these are, but how do they work at York?
AndriusG
Yeah, the e-mail was actually from her and she sounds like a lovely person. Although I'm not sure if lovely is a word that can be used to describe a lecturer.

Also, I've heard from various sources about electives. I gather what these are, but how do they work at York?

So far they've not been mentioned to us first years, but I think we select them in the second year.

There's a list of modules you can choose outside the subject somewhere... I'll see if I can find you the link tomorrow. Ranges from Chemistry to Psychology, Maths... There's all sorts you can choose to do. It works on a credit system, you require a certain amount of credits to pass the year, and you can choose to do a certain amount of those credits from other modules in different subjects. The link has all the numbers.

She honestly is lovely... As a person. "Nice lecturers" is just an oxymoron within itself lol. Though that said, she actually amazing if you get stuck or need to extend a deadline, definitely the coolest to talk to. :smile:
Reply 8
WolfishSmile is right about the electives. I did one in 'Hearing' in the Psychology department in my second year, and it was good fun (and as I was planning to concentrate on phonetics and phonology after my first year, also quite useful).

I really loved the linguistics department as the lecturers are brilliant (and quite a few of the ones who taught me are still there) and relaxed. My supervisor was the loveliest and most chilled out person ever. I just had a really good feeling about the uni when I visited and it proved to be absolutely right :smile:

I did English Language and Linguistics btw.

Have a ball - linguistics is GREAT!!!

Latest