The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Grrr - when I run in PE I have to run with the boy I work with - which means if he's having a lazy day it's just a really casual jog. I mean it's still 30 minutes of doing SOMETHING and it's probably good for fat loss or something, but it's frustrating. Also nobody has a small enough screwdriver for me to put the batteries into my HR monitor :frown:
Reply 61
Urgh can't be bothered to row tonight :frown:
Reply 62
Yesterday was horrible. Netball match was cancelled, but not until after I'd gone and got lunch at break time, so all I ate was a sandwich and a chocolate muffin. I always assumed the huge school dinner was leaving me with an excess of calories, but even though I did nothing but ref during Games when it came to rowing by 3k I was feeling it, by 5k I thought I would faint, and I finished at a snail's pace. Pride and the fact that I was keeping K company kept me going. Force fed myself a helluva lot of sugar (2 mini pastries, a chocolate biscuit and 4 squares of bourbon) and still took 2 hours to feel right again. Then had a big burns night thing last night where I ate too much, drank faaaaaaaar too much whisky, and was horribly ill. So at least I got rid of most of it. Wow, that makes me sound very 15-year-old bullemic doesn't it?! :s-smilie:
Reply 63
Any semblence of watching what I eat has now gone out of the window. My self esteem is more affected by my ability to row 10k than my waistline, so rather than risk another epic fail erg (bearing in mind I've been awake since 3am) I ate a shedload for lunch. Although that shedload uniformly lacked protein so I should probably find some of that to eat tonight post-erg. Hopefully the carbs and three bottles of water will do me some good though. Even if I am ill. And knackered.
Reply 64
Urgh - am always late to the gym on Mondays, because I'm busy at lunch (and my work, unlike the teachers, doesn't finish at 4pm - not that they don't have far far more marking, but I physically can't stop work at the bell), but K always starts without me. Normally this works quite well, as I only want to row 10k, whereas he wants to do an hour. Today I got there and he was already over 30 mins in (wasn't counting on him going straight to the gym) Started 10k anyway, pulled about 10 strokes and thought that rowing 10k on 5 hours sleep, some dodgy pills, and what was beginning to feel like flu (just thought I had a cold before) was not a good plan, so I'd do 30 mins, having not done one of them since the end of November. Felt seriously sick through most of it, but started off with good times, as it was that bit of the hour when K was really suffering, so I paced with him rather than keeping it long and strong, figuring if I went through 15 minutes at 2:05 (which I did) I could die at the end and row home at 2:15 and still get a 2:10 average, which would mean I was rowing at about '10k pace' - am still having trouble pacing myself, so am trying to row at 2:08-2:10 a lot to get a nice feel for it. Anyway, realised with about 10 mins to go that with a push I could get through 7k, and thankfully when K got off, his young NQT decided to get on and round off her work out with about 4 mins of rowing, which gave me someone to push off. Finished at 7091m. Probably could have got more like 7150 had K been rowing with me at the end (as he tends to yell at me :p:) but I'm still chuffed with that, as it's about a 50m PB.
Reply 65
go boo!
Reply 66
:eek: I dropped off the front page!!

Couple of faily days (did cross country with the boys and only worked out retrospectively how short it was and that I really should have gone to the gym after school too) then spent Weds in the library so wanted to leave early (but at least I cycled an extra 3 miles)

Rowed 12k last night (was going to do 3*6 but decided part way through I wanted to go to a concert so needed to be out of the gym by 6pm so ended up doing 2*6 with a mile run in between to make life more interesting). First one was @ 2:17.33; second one (started at normal speed, decided in last 3k that if I was rowing so much less I should do ti faster) at 2:13.0
Reply 67
10k in 42.58.3 :biggrin: (2:08.9 splits) - am still kinda shaking from the endorphines :biggrin:
Reply 68
That's in one sitting?! Very nice time you pulled there!
Reply 69
Creole
That's in one sitting?! Very nice time you pulled there!

Yes... It's a 30 second PB :biggrin:
I gather from the shock that you're not a rower? I mean, I'm chuffed to little meat balls with it... But I won't be happy til I can do it in 40 minutes :p:
Reply 70
Bekaboo
Yes... It's a 30 second PB :biggrin:
I gather from the shock that you're not a rower? I mean, I'm chuffed to little meat balls with it... But I won't be happy til I can do it in 40 minutes :p:

No, I am, just a new/unfit one. I'd be very happy with a 2:10 split on a 10k (although I've never done one before, I'm basing this on my 30 min times.

Do you know roughly what spm you were going at?
Reply 71
Creole
No, I am, just a new/unfit one. I'd be very happy with a 2:10 split on a 10k (although I've never done one before, I'm basing this on my 30 min times.

Do you know roughly what spm you were going at?

Can't be bothered to go check my log but it would probably be 21. I aim for 20 but it tends to go up a tiny bit at the end. Never more than 22 though.

If you're new to it then it's probably more down to your technique than your fitness. I'm less fit now than when I actually rowed - but as a rower the best 20 mins I ever did was with a 2:13 split. I've only been erging regularly since September and I've gone from about 2:11 on my first 20 min erg to seeing 44 mins as benchmark for a 10k.
How come you rate so low, was it a pb attempt or did you just get the pb in a low rate training sesh. For a 10k pb Id go for atleast 24spm and probably up it at the end.
Reply 73
supernova2
How come you rate so low, was it a pb attempt or did you just get the pb in a low rate training sesh. For a 10k pb Id go for atleast 24spm and probably up it at the end.

Because 10k is a comfortable distance for me to row at steady state, and that's what I'm doing. I've never been asked to do a 10k trial and tbh I'd probably die if I ever tried. I just moved on from 20 min steady states, to half an hour, to 10ks. :dontknow: And we always steadystate at 20.
Reply 74
Gah! All (most) of my reasons (excuses) for not gyming in the last 2 weeks have been valid.
Since 30th Jan there have been 9 days when I potentially could have gymed (can't get into school at weekends)
* 2 nights when I had been at an interview
* 2 nights before an interview when I needed to prep and sleep and another 2 when I was in the library frantically preparing
* One snow day
* 2 days (today and yesterday) when I have been to the gym, albeit in a really rubbish non-committal way.

I just feel pretty rubbish. I'm really tired and unmotivated. I rowed 6k tonight and then just thought you know what I can't be bothered to do any more. I just feel all weak and floppy. And I'm eating utter rubbish at the moment, which is awful because I'm not rowing it off.

Half term starts tomorrow, and I think I need to sort out my eating habits over half term and then start a proper routine again when I get back because now I don't have K to badger me I'm just never going to get on an erg. There's VD and D's birthday and my mum coming for 2 days and I'm going to visit a friend before she goes travelling so I think I'm gonna have to do a lot of balancing rubbish meals with not eating much but I'll find a way around this somehow. I hope :frown:
Reply 75
Cut yourself some slack. You're doing well, there's absolutely no need to beat yourself up. Some time away from the school and rowing, whilst still trying to eat well, will do you the world of good (especially mentally). Keep at it!
Reply 76
I think it's partly because I've had this unplanned break. And while I know that I couldn't have gone to school on interview days (got back on Tuesday at like 10:30pm :eek:) and that I would have worked myself into a real state if I hadn't spent the nights before working that I've sort of been letting semi-good excuses act like really good excuses. And I've continued eating like I've been rowing, which means I'm not in nice shape for valentines day :frown:

I think I just need a proper routine. K having his new programme removes incentive to row every day, but the times when he now rows are the least convenient to me (i.e. the two days when I physically can't finish work at 4, so I'm sort of skiving if I go to the gym even if I then go back and work afterwards).
Reply 77
Right back in the game. I was hoping to do an erg tonight, but we're trying to find a new flatmate and I had someone wanting to come over quite early, so by the time I'd finished off the work I only had about 30 mins in the gym. So no erg, but I did run 5km in 30 mins on the hill setting. Mainly ran at 9.5km/h but my feet were playing up again (although I think less than before, so maybe they're acclimatising again) and it hurts less when I run faster so I powered up some of the big hills (hills make it hurt more) and came in with an average just over 10k (I was watching when I broke the 5k mark, but I don't know how much further I went - I mean it'd only be like 1-200m but a little anyway.
I've got book club at 5 tomorrow, which is technically enough time to get an erg in but I don't especially want to turn up uber-minging and I've got an Ash Wed service to sing the day after so I'm hoping to get to the gym on both days but not for rowing. Maybe I'll do some more of those 30 min hills cos that felt quite good... Normally I struggle to push myself with running but the hill helps.
Reply 78
Did another 5(.02!)km (with hills) in 30 mins today. I had hoped to run a bit further, but a combination of my mp3 player dying as I started, and my shorts actually chaffing and my feet hurting as much as usual (re: yday when they felt better) and my toes getting bruised (for rowing I do up my shoes super tight but I've never really needed to for running - guess that was a silly mistake) meant that it really felt like quite an achievement to last the 30 mins.
Reply 79
Well yesterday was a bit of a trainwreck - tried wearing different shorts but they still rubbed so much I bled. Around 17 mins in my shoelaces came undone, so I had to stop to do them up, and because I was trying to do it fast so my heart rate didn't drop too much I did them way too tight and was cutting off the circulation to my toes :eek: So I called it a day at 20mins (have the time written down somewhere but it was just under 3.33 - about 3.28 I think) and did a few weights before I had to dash off to shower for Ash Wed mass. Irritatingly though I then found out the rehearsal was 6:15 not 6, so I could have had 15 extra minutes and done more weights, or just erged instead of the run in the first place (although then I'd have been knackered and probably unable to cycle to mass anyway...)

Latest