The Student Room Group

RAF training

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Being an exceptional pedant, 705 is 705NAS, and Sixty(R) Sqn is always written as Sixty, not as 60. 660 Sqn's also an AAC sqn, assuming you didn't realise that. Lastly, 1 EFTS has taken on the 16(R) Sqn numberplate.

Now what OCUs are there?
Reply 21
16(R) Sqn 1 EFTS at Cranwell, 57(R) Sqn 1 EFTS at Wyton and No. 3 Sqn 1 EFTS at Church Fenton form No. 1,2&3 Sqn of 1 EFTS
Reply 22
buzz..
16(R) Sqn 1 EFTS at Cranwell, 57(R) Sqn 1 EFTS at Wyton and No. 3 Sqn 1 EFTS at Church Fenton form No. 1,2&3 Sqn of 1 EFTS

85(R) Sqn at RAF Church Fenton.

No 1,2 and 3 Sqn EFTS don't exist anymore AFAIK.
Apologies for bumping this old thread but it fits in with my query! I am just trying to fine tune the last bits of my revision before I got to Cranwell on Sunday, can someone please clarify if I have the correct OCU's and fill in the gaps where I can't find any up to date information;

XV(R) Sqn - RAF Lossiemouth - Tornado GR4
20(R) Sqn - RAF Wittering - Harrier GR9/T12
29(R) Sqn - RAF Coningsby - Typhoon F2/T1

18(B) Sqn - RAF Odiham - Chinook HC2/2A
28(AC) Sqn - RAF Benson - Merlin HC3

54(R) Sqn - RAF Waddington - ISTAR OCU (E-3D Sentry, Sentinel R1 and Nimrod R1)
99 Sqn, 101 Sqn and 216 Sqn at RAF Brize Norton operating the C17, VC10 and Tristar respectively
42(R) Sqn - RAF Kinloss - Nimrod MR2

I am just missing what Squadrons have OCU's attached to them for the Puma, Sea King and Hercules? Can anyone help please?

Many Thanks
Reply 24
57(R) Sqn - RAF Lyneham - Hercules C130J - (OCU)
33 Sqn - RAF Benson - Puma HC1 - (OCF)
203(R) Sqn - RAF Valley - Sea King HAR3 - (OCU)

Good luck!
buzz,

Very helpful

Thank you
Reply 26
I think this should be added to the big sticky.

It is handy, and may stop people asking again in the future.
Reply 27
Ajvir
I think this should be added to the big sticky.

It is handy, and may stop people asking again in the future.

Wishful thinking:tongue:
Reply 28
Worth a shot!
Reply 29
Sorry to bring up an old thread but what is the OCU for the herc as I thought 57(R) was for EFT at wyton?
Reply 30
Cragly, this is the problem with the modern RAF - too many changes that even official web sites can't keep up with!

I'm not a Herc mate, but my understanding is:

57(R) Used to be OCU, now EFTS at RAF Wyton

From another TSR thread on 18Apr10 Scheigg gave this info:

The Herc OCU is run by 24 Sqn.

Can't find any other website with that info.
Reply 31
Original post by Ikaruss
Cragly, this is the problem with the modern RAF - too many changes that even official web sites can't keep up with!

I'm not a Herc mate, but my understanding is:

57(R) Used to be OCU, now EFTS at RAF Wyton

From another TSR thread on 18Apr10 Scheigg gave this info:

Can't find any other website with that info.

I can't actually give you any backup evidence for that fact save that I've done the aforementioned OCU... :top:

24 Sqn is also a frontline operator (though not for long).
Reply 32
Schleigg mate, do they do J & K or just J? Any idea if they have many people going thru at the moment?

Seems like there's going to be quite a few Sqns disappearing - we're having a mass closing down sale of our lot RIP CXX / 201 / 42(R) next spring. I was going to say it's a bit sad, but that doesn't reflect the anger and utter disbelief at a political decision which will come back to haunt this Govt sooner or later.

grrrrrr :angry:
Reply 33
Original post by Ikaruss
Schleigg mate, do they do J & K or just J? Any idea if they have many people going thru at the moment?

Seems like there's going to be quite a few Sqns disappearing - we're having a mass closing down sale of our lot RIP CXX / 201 / 42(R) next spring. I was going to say it's a bit sad, but that doesn't reflect the anger and utter disbelief at a political decision which will come back to haunt this Govt sooner or later.

grrrrrr :angry:

Just Js, the K OCU has been closed for at least a year now and the J is turning the tap off (or at least to a trickle) since they're pruning numbers on the entire J Wing they can't afford to keep taking people.

Thankfully 24 Sqn isn't disappearing, they're just re-role-ing as the J Wg training for OCU, Tac and SF. 30 Sqn will take all non-Airdrop related work and 47 Sqn will take all Airdrop and SF. They're only doing about a 20% reduction in Aircrew across the board at Lyneham which obviously isn't as bad as at Kinloss but i suspect there's just a general feeling of doom going round the fixed wing aircrew cadre of the RAF at the moment!

70 Sqn (dead K Sqn) will stand up as the first A400M Sqn followed closely by 30 Sqn at which point hopefully the A400M will take all the boring flying off the Herc so it can concentrate on doing fun stuff! :wink:
Reply 34
Thanks for the update mate, I think I can just about work out where you hang your coffee mug :ninja:

Standby for a few Kipper mates exported from ISK to Bri-nam in the next few months. Maybe a few anyway, but not me :biggrin:
Reply 35
Thanks for the clarification guys
Reply 36
Hi, I'm a teacher looking for core material within the EFT. I want to help students from other countries develop the English language they need to pass EFT, and it would be useful to have your input on which activities and lessons you do in your 6 week ground school and what level of aviation experience someone typically has when coming to Cranwell for the first time.
Original post by KARLAG
Hi, I'm a teacher looking for core material within the EFT. I want to help students from other countries develop the English language they need to pass EFT, and it would be useful to have your input on which activities and lessons you do in your 6 week ground school and what level of aviation experience someone typically has when coming to Cranwell for the first time.

You should try to go through the conventional routes to Command where there is a specific team that can answer questions on overseas training. The publications used in EFT are almost certainly classified such that no-one can discuss them in detail on here.

Students starting EFT will have a range of aviation experience from absolutely nothing practical, just 'an interest' to holding a PPL or having already done some basic military flying training (up to 30ish hours) at university.
There are standard routes for foreign students who train within the British military systems. If you are working officially, I'd suggest you try and track down those routes. I know there are minimum standards of English language required and the Forces have trained overseas students for a long time. I'd expect there to be a good official foundation of knowledge on this.

Quick Reply

Latest